Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

18 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

We were up in 537 and the atmosphere was touch and go. 
It was quite difficult to get a cohesive song going because of the time delay around the ground, mind once their second went in it was dead for a good length of time. 

There was a good amount of people who had no interest in singing around us and lots of complaints about people standing. 

I’ve always sat on the fence with singing thinking that it’s each to their own really but I was disappointed yesterday, even my 8 year old daughter sang her heart out to support the team….which leads on to a personal gripe, I’m sick of hearing songs about other clubs and their support. I messaged my brother in law who is a Man U fan yesterday after full time and said that I found it amazing that with moments to go before you win the best thing you can sing is about Alan Shearer….because he didn’t sign for you all those years ago, it’s pathetic….and where guilty of it too. Heard more about “Shearer turned you down” then I did Blaydon Races….anyways rant over. 

Personally think the Shearer chants from both sides are completely harmless and just a bit of banter between the clubs and the only chant (I believe) that relates the two. 

We obviously don't care that Shearer turned us down. We won multiple leagues and the treble not long after. 

I'm also sure Shearer doesn't care. He became the record goalscorer at his boyhood club with a total that still hasn't been beaten. :lol:

Edited by Froggy

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Personally think the Shearer chants from both sides are completely harmless and just a bit of banter between the clubs and the only chant (I believe) that relates the two. 

We obviously don't care that Shearer turned us down. We won multiple leagues and the treble not long after. 

I'm also sure Shearer doesn't care. He became the record goalscorer at his boyhood club with a total that still hasn't been beaten. :lol:

Of course you don’t care :lol: 

Felt too disappointed to post yesterday. Was standing the whole game at the back of one of the lower tiers. Atmosphere was magnificent up until they scored

For the game itself they just kept us at arms length once they scored. 

Sure I'll stick some photos up when I get round to it

And don't want to dwell on many negatives but absolutely sick of our set pieces 

The worst one is the one we get on the halfway line, send everybody up then hopelessly float the ball straight to their keeper or out of play

40 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That the hilariously bad ITK?

I watched a couple of his videos but the ITK stuff was just so bad I quickly avoided any later ones. That said I don't really watch any these days, not even the good ones like Toon Review or Loaded. They're just too fucking long. :lol:

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

How?

At best his presence comes across as condescending, at worst it comes across as goading.

Why does he keep coming in here? He has no allegiance to us, from our knowledge he’s not even from around here. Why is he so active on here?

One of the things that makes this place so great are the opposition fans. @brummie for Villa, @Froggyfor Man Utd and @Mikefor Liverpool etc etc.

We can't just get the hump when they beat us and decide they're not welcome [emoji38].

The fella's done nowt wrong.

As for the game, having calmed down a bit, you've got to think that English football is now essentially a money game and it broadly plays out that the bigger spenders/salary payers tend to outperform the rest, Leicester's miracle and the odd upset aside.

When you look at the amount of players in that Man Utd squad earning double/treble/if not more than our top earners, you're essentially playing against pro's at the top of their game and/or peak of their careers. Off the top of my head, the following must all be all on over £250k per week;-

- DDG

- Varane

- Martinez

- Casemiro

- Fred

- Rashford

- Sancho

- Antony

- Eriksen

When you think our highest earner is probably on less than £130k per week, you can already appreciate the gulf in expectation/value/top level experience.

They're buying pro's from the highest levels at and/or near to their peaks. We are buying Bruno/Gordon/Botman/Isak hoping they'll get to that next level with us.

With that in mind, I felt even before the game that we'd need an early 'incident' or NUFC goal to give us that little bit extra to cling on to but it never came. Maybe even if VAR had overturned their opener, that might have spurred a reaction/lift.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't spend the balance of the first half getting ASM on the ball every fucking time so as to drive at the yellow carded Dalot before he got hooked at HT tbh. Felt like there was a bit of a missed opportunity but, hey ho, we performed pretty much in line with where I thought we'd be.

As for atmosphere, I was in level 5 and it was pretty good around us other than after their second. A mix of folks standing/sitting but no arguments about people choosing either and most of the folks around us in good voice.

Fucking queues getting through the turnstiles were a joke though and made me wonder what the point of that fucking allotted entry time was tbh...

Have a feeling we might struggle to lift ourselves after this and, if we're honest, it's been a major fucking distraction for us and it never seemed to be for them.

Edited by Minhosa

11 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

He’s got his lass and kid with him so not sure if the team bus is just family or what but there’s loads getting photos at the bus. 

Howe was in a coffee shop in Jesmond earlier today with the other coaching staff 

3 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

When you look at the amount of players in that Man Utd squad earning double/treble/if not more than our top earners, you're essentially playing against pro's at the top of their game and/or peak of their careers. Off the top of my head, the following must all be all on over £250k per week;-

- DDG

- Varane

- Martinez

- Casemiro

- Fred

- Rashford

- Sancho

- Antony

- Eriksen

We've brought in a wage structure now, but aye some of players are on obscene wages with Sancho and Martial being the standouts IMO. Just another sign of how badly run we were before. 

DDG - £375k (negotiating a new deal with a drop to £250k)

Varane - £340k

Casemiro - £300k

Sancho - £350k :kasper:

Rashford - £200k (negotiating a new deal expectsd to rise to £250k)

Antony - £200k

Fred is actually only (ha) on £120k. As is Martinez. Eriksen is on £150k. 

Martial is £250k a week which is also ridiculous. Mental throwing those wages at such young players. 

11 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

21 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

One of the things that makes this place so great are the opposition fans. @brummie for Villa, @Froggyfor Man Utd and @Mikefor Liverpool etc etc.

We can't just get the hump when they beat us and decide they're not welcome [emoji38].

The fella's done nowt wrong.

As for the game, having calmed down a bit, you've got to think that English football is now essentially a money game and it broadly plays out that the bigger spenders/salary payers tend to outperform the rest, Leicester's miracle and the odd upset aside.

- DDG

- Varane

- Martinez

- Casemiro

- Fred

- Rashford

- Sancho

- Antony

- Eriksen

When you think our highest earner is probably on less than £130k per week, you can already appreciate the gulf in expectation/value/top level experience.

They're buying pro's from the highest levels at and/or near to their peaks. We are buying Bruno/Gordon/Botman/Isak hoping they'll get to that next level with us.

With that in mind, I felt even before the game that we'd need an early 'incident' or NUFC goal to give us that little bit extra to cling on to but it never came. Maybe even if VAR had overturned their opener, that might have spurred a reaction/lift.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't spend the balance of the first half getting ASM on the ball every fucking time so as to drive at the yellow carded Dalot before he got hooked at HT tbh. Felt like there was a bit of a missed opportunity but, hey ho, we performed pretty much in line with where I thought we'd be.

As for atmosphere, I was in level 5 and it was pretty good around us other than after their second. A mix of folks standing/sitting but no arguments about people choosing either and most of the folks around us in good voice.

Fucking queues getting through the turnstiles were a joke though and made me wonder what the point of that fucking allotted entry time was tbh...

Have a feeling we might struggle to lift ourselves after this and, if we're honest, it's been a major fucking distraction for us and it never seemed to be for them.

:lol: Motherfucker.

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We've brought in a wage structure now, but aye some of players are on obscene wages with Sancho and Martial being the standouts IMO. Just another sign of how badly run we were before. 

DDG - £375k (negotiating a new deal with a drop to £250k)

Varane - £340k

Casemiro - £300k

Sancho - £350k :kasper:

Rashford - £200k (negotiating a new deal expectsd to rise to £250k)

Antony - £200k

Fred is actually only (ha) on £120k. As is Martinez. Eriksen is on £150k. 

Martial is £250k a week which is also ridiculous. Mental throwing those wages at such young players. 

Yep - some of them are mental but it's indicative of a super-club really in terms of spending power and desire to win things.

We're obviously not that and, despite the new found riches, I'd hope we don't adopt the same approach tbh.

So we'll have to find a way to compete with the likes of you, Man City and Chelsea etc whilst not being able to pay those sort of wages.

My earlier point of the 'money/success' link, I think for that reason, it's only a matter of time until Chelsea end up back fighting for the title when they sort their shit out. Might take a few years but broadly the principle of 'if you throw enough money at it' really does apply in football bar the extreme clusterfucks of QPR, Ridsdales Leeds etc.

Your established super-clubs, if you like, have the whole balance tilted in their favour and will always be there or thereabouts until theres a fundamental shift in how football is governed/structured.

Edited by Minhosa

Just now, Minhosa said:

He absolutely owned ASM in pretty much every 1 on 1.

He did yeah, no shade on ASM he’s a very good defender and his acceleration is nuts. A more Athletic dribbler like ASM will struggle against him, you’re better off with a Hatem type who’s going to beat with skill alone