Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Just now, aussiemag said:

Is it just me, or has our press lost the ferocity that it had earlier in the season? Is it due to the quality of opposition? 

It has. There's no menace in our pressing thus, oppositions have more time to play balls through us and over the top. Less forced errors for the opposition too.

Just now, aussiemag said:

Is it just me, or has our press lost the ferocity that it had earlier in the season? Is it due to the quality of opposition? 

I think we've stopped pressing like we were earlier in the season but also I've noticed teams aren't playing out from the back as much as they used to

Certainly, in the case of Man-U they were going long quite a bit, which is demonstrated in Bruno completing more passes than Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer and McTominay combined

We'll beat these at SJP on 2 April. Hope Sky bring along Keane and Neville so we can swipe the smugness off their faces. And we'll waste fucking huge amount of time to annoy that baldy Dutch Jason Statham.

Watch out for Schar knocking Martinez teeths out too.

Edited by nufcjb

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think we've stopped pressing like we were earlier in the season but also I've noticed teams aren't playing out from the back as much as they used to

Certainly, in the case of Man-U they were going long quite a bit, which is demonstrated in Bruno completing more passes than Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer and McTominay combined

Yeah, our back four isn't the quickest, particularly down the wings, and they had some joy through hitting their front players early.

Not sure how it came across on TV but the mancs totally outsang us even before they scored. Walking down Wembley way and the arrogant cunts were in our fans faces giving it the cheer up Alan Shearer and I knew they'd be louder as we hardly came back with owt to them

Just woken up, got a be hangover from hell, an empty bank balance but although the result wasn't what we wanted, it was all worth it

We have our club back, we don't demand a club that wins, just a team that tries and try we did - we got to a final and we will be back and we will win soon

The atmosphere was electric and the scenes and singing at 90 mins 2-0 down just shows we have the best fans in the world.

The game itself we struggled, started off bright, 2 quick goals killed us similar to Liverpool game last week and we couldn't get back into it. Had most of the ball and got into good positions on our wings but the final ball wasn't there.

To next time but for now GET ME HOME

6 hours ago, midds said:

Again, he's pretty much nailed it

Yeah that’s all excellent analysis. I didn’t think we were too bad yesterday but just lacked quality in final 3rd. There’s an argument and genuine possibility that none of the front 3 will start next season. Like he says in the analysis I think the game will prove as a major indicator for squad development. So many players need moving on and genuine quality brought in in the summer. 

Team has done great this season just dipped form wise and run out of steam at the wrong time for the cup. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

20 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

We'll beat these at SJP on 2 April. Hope Sky bring along Keane and Neville so we can swipe the smugness off their faces. And we'll waste fucking huge amount of time to annoy that baldy Dutch Jason Statham.

Watch out for Schar knocking Martinez teeths out too.

They are nothing special. They are in a false position in the league mainly down to the fact that everyone seems to be having an average at best season.

This run of form they are jacking themselves about isn't that impressive. Watch the games they play in, they are losing large spells of games where they are 2nd best. Heck if Leeds didn’t have that drop off towards the end of games that teams at the bottom have, they would have taken 4 points off them in the last month.

They didn’t even win their group in the Europa League.

They look bang fucking average with 1 really good player, and another having the form of his life that he’s never shown before, and will probably not show again once this season is over.

If the referee didn’t practically score their 1st goal for them yesterday, the only way they would have won is on penalties.

Next season you would expect Chelsea, Liverpool, and Spurs to be stronger. The fight will be harder for them to reach the top.

They will be nicely distracted by a takeover which if it does happen, will end up being leveraged as fuck, further limiting their ability to invest. On top of that in the coming years they are pretty much going to have to rebuild Old Trafford, again this will limit spending.

It’s alright though, because they keep raving about a manager who did well at a club who only have to turn up to win their league, and sacked off 1 of the best Premier League defenders this season for someone who was found at this level, fucking genius isn’t he?

Edited by Stifler

Still deeply disappointed this morning but more so because we deserved to lose. 

Watching the highlights back they were incredibly well organised, more so than us. More aggressive in winning the ball and on reflection had a better game plan. 

I thought the Brazilians were the best players on the pitch. Casemiro, Antony, Joelinton, Bruno, even Fred - all great. 

22 minutes ago, jack j said:

Not sure how it came across on TV but the mancs totally outsang us even before they scored. Walking down Wembley way and the arrogant cunts were in our fans faces giving it the cheer up Alan Shearer and I knew they'd be louder as we hardly came back with owt to them

They really didn’t. Wembley Way might have been a different story but I and most Newcastle fans approached the ground from the other direction. I hardly saw a Man U fan all day. 

Inside the ground they outsang is a bit once the game was done and for the first 15 mins or so of the 2nd half it was generally quiet from both ends. I was right next to their lot so got a fairly good reflection on the noise.

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

They really didn’t. Wembley Way might have been a different story but I and most Newcastle fans approached the ground from the other direction. I hardly saw a Man U fan all day. 

Inside the ground they outsang is a bit once the game was done and for the first 15 mins or so of the 2nd half it was generally quiet from both ends. I was right next to their lot so got a fairly good reflection on the noise.

Thought the man United fans in the ground outsung us all game and I was in block 136.

Appreciate the coverage probably showed the flags at the start and end (which were great), but other than that...

The majority of the first half it was just silence in the lower tier, genuinely couldn't believe it. Not sure if everyone was just hungover as fuck from Trafalgar Square like ?

Edited by TheDimpleboy

Watching on TV, never heard a peep from them at all.

As I have already mentioned, twice in the 2nd half their players had to try and get them to start cheering, including 50 seconds from full time.

Edited by Stifler

No, they sounded quiet on the telly like, some half hearted glazers out and not a right lot rise. Sounded more us when there was any noise to speak of.

Best sound of the day was Dan Burn kicking a microphone for no reason

Edited by OpenC

I'm absolutely gutted like, but I can't say it's because of any lack of effort, endeavour, or even performance really. Our players are at their ceilings and I can't ask for more than that. Better players will have higher ceilings.

That's the first time I've even seen us compete in a Wembley final, but as soon as Man United scored twice from what felt like their 2% of possession in the first half, it felt like nothing went our way. Even at 2-0 down I felt like we could win if just something went our way, but it never did.

Can't say I was angry or frustrated, just sad really. But that's a measure of the already huge achievement of coming from where we were to where we are, we shouldn’t even be here yet. Howe and that team were close to being infinite in Newcastle's history and they all were more than worthy of achieving that, so despite being well ahead of schedule, it's sad that they didn't. So proud of the effort and to see our club so well represented at Wembley by Howe, the staff, the players, the performance, the fans, and Wor Flags. 

JLA got it spot on about saying that it was like the last day of year 11 with these players in that final, there's definitely an end of The Breakfast Club feeling about this group, like. :lol:

For a lot of the players and for Howe of course, this is just the beginning, but for others they'll move on and so will we. A lot of those players will have a David Kelly feel about them imo - crucial players in our history who you love and you'd have loved to have stayed and achieved something, but will go hopefully to be replaced by our next Andy Cole or Peter Beardsley.

I'm sure once the sadness lifts and we look back on this season, the overriding feeling will be hugely positive. We don't demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries. We've absolutely got that, but it's not just one that tries, it competes. One thing is for certain in all of this, we're definitely back.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Didn’t think that at all. Only time it was like that was when I briefly ended up around a little hardcore bunch with pyro and that on Wembley Way. Hardly heard them in the ground apart from the odd rendition of their shearer song.

Thought the atmosphere was decent enough at our end - considering it’s never going to be like an away game, and the two goals - and seemed clearly better than what was coming from their end. Only let down really was some of the groans at ASM

Edited by Superior Acuña

32 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Thought the man United fans in the ground outsung us all game and I was in block 136.

Appreciate the coverage probably showed the flags at the start and end (which were great), but other than that...

The majority of the first half it was just silence in the lower tier, genuinely couldn't believe it. Not sure if everyone was just hungover as fuck from Trafalgar Square like ?

Mental wasn't it. I was in the standing section block 133 quite near you and thought the same.

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Honestly mate, some of their fans are total tossers.

Edited by dorty

This is the first league cup final I've paid attention to in my life and it's a weird feeling. The sense of finality and pathos is legit, and yet we need to shake out of it as there's nearly half the season to go, and it's the business end.

The positioning of the FA Cup final in the calendar makes a lot more sense to me.