Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

6 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

There's an argument for playing no music at all after the game, just let the crowd take over.

It's a pretty compelling argument as well for most people.

But if he must play something the Champions League tune (ode to joy or whatever it's proper name is) is preferable to DJ f**king Otzi.

4 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So if we lose on Monday and we don't hear the DJ play the CL anthem.. at least we know someone in the crowd will be happy inside !

Unless he plays the Europa League anthem... Now that would really boil my chips!  

:lol:

That would be funny as fuck tbh.

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

I’m probably not that dissimilar to you TBH 🙂👍🏻 I’ve learned though if you can’t have a little bit of lighthearted fun at the end of a season like this when can you 🤷‍♂️ It’s been crazy and with a bit of luck Monday COULD be truly amazing 🤞🏻🕺 

If we qualify for the CL he could play fucking sunderland songs and I wouldn't give a shit.

Another one here who doesn’t want to hear the CL anthem tomorrow if we get a good result (or don’t obviously!). 

Don’t want to hear DJ Otzi either. I didn’t mind Pretty Green Eyes as much but still not ideal. Certainly do not wish for him to play KC and the bastard Sunshine Band.

I’m happy with Moving On Up post match after some silence and letting the fans belt out some chants. 

Pre match I hope we fuck the Scouse Beatles off and play Thunderstruck.

Would love a campaign to get the Blaydon Races back like. The pre match version is shite. Imagine if we could get the whole ground in unison singing it at a slower pace. Sing it at the same time every game. Make it something people do not want to miss. Something that other fans are in awe of... That would be mint like.

4 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Would love a campaign to get the Blaydon Races back like. The pre match version is shite. Imagine if we could get the whole ground in unison singing it at a slower pace. Sing it at the same time every game. Make it something people do not want to miss. Something that other fans are in awe of... That would be mint like.

Why is this a commonly held view? Never known why...

58 minutes ago, jack j said:

Probably the toon toon black and white army bollocks in the middle of it

That has been cut out of it now but it still sounds shite.

For me the current version is just too slow, and just all round doesn’t sound right. 

34 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Especially when he hadn’t scored 😆

I also hate the way he reads the score out. 

One thing I did like though is in the Championship when Lansbury scored an OG and he announced it. Also loved him playing Daydream Believer after the 5-1 demolition derby. Some great trolling. 

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

To be fair he missed a game this season and must have had his mate stand in.

Songs were all over the place and I could be wrong but need the stand in not play the Mitro song at the end of the game?

Aye you’re right - and he played the wrong PL anthem.

He stood in for the Man Utd game last season too and couldn’t pronounce any of their players names

Those wanting the current DJ out may consider being careful what you wish for :lol:

14 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Aye you’re right - and he played the wrong PL anthem.

He stood in for the Man Utd game last season too and couldn’t pronounce any of their players names

Those wanting the current DJ out may consider being careful what you wish for :lol:

Aye, it's always been the same as far as I can remember. Barry in the Box? Cunt. Alan Robson? Cunt. The current lad Rob? Cunt.

Some of the criticism is deserved like, the ridiculous volume it's blasted out at, "Enjoy the game" and Doris fucking Day were all indefensible. But a lot of ilthe criticisms do come down to subjective taste. For example, Yorkie said above thinks the version of Blaydon Races that gets played at the match is good, a lot of us think it's pish. There will be thousands of people with both opinions across the matchgoing fanbase and both are valid enough opinions. People tend to be more vocal about something that they want changed than about something they think is OK. So the volume of negativity you read especially online won't be a fair reflection of the fanbase's feelings as a whole towards the DJ.

Edited by geordiesteve710
Bod speeling

Got to admit re the DJ/announcer, I couldn't give a shit. I'm usually hitting my seat as the teams come out and even if I'm not getting a drink I'm on the concourse at HT. My only thing would be no music directectly before the match. As soon as the teams leave the changing room that should be the fans cue to ramp it up and music off, sound of needle scratching across vinyl mid track for added effect. Ditto afterwards especially after a win, as I've noticed more fans staying behind to applaud the team off, let the fans be the noise for at least 5mins.

16 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Nothing will ever be nearly as shit as him reading fucking poetry at half time.

Two games in a row as well, excruciating. The vast amount of birthday messages is shite.

One thing I will say about the DJ is at least we aren’t subjected to shitty chart music pre match like at some grounds. 

27 minutes ago, Pilko said:

That was bizarre. 

I know a lot of us on here cringe at a lot of the stuff he says/plays, but if you look around the stadium there’s plenty lapping it up, so I don’t think it’s a universally held view that he’s terrible, outside of here and SM anyway.

But when it came to the poetry, you could literally see everyone thinking ‘WTF is this?’.

Possibly Remembrance Day aside, a football stadium is not a place for poetry, as if that even needs clarified. 

48 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Two matches in a row wasn’t it? The same poem [emoji38]

Edited by christ

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

Fully agree mate... It's getting worse with each game.

Wonder how many missed the last two Goals the other night 

You could see a fat pile of empty seats on the match cam for Burn's header. 

Surely no half time pint of piss in a paper cup is worth potentially missing a goal as big as Burn’s?

I understand catching the last train or whatever, but I wouldn’t trade those two late goals for much else.

Why can’t the DJ just read / announce  the names normally, play his music when the teams are warming up, then turn it off when they go back in? Put the emphasis on the fans to make the noise before the teams come back out and after the final whistle... Just let things breathe ffs, surely it’s universally agreed an organic atmosphere led by the fans is better than a forced, music driven one?