"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I can't speak for Jim, but I think the point maybe isn't clear. Everyone knew it was going to be corporate focused, that's not really what I mean. It's the very specific stuff that comes across as staged PR stuff in the first episode that I'm talking about. Like Staveley talking about the seperation between PIF and the Saudi state or their interactions with people. To me that sets off my PR bullshit radar straight away. 

It's not even a huge deal, it's just an observation. I don't need to like the club's owners and I don't, they're the custodians of the football club I support, we're not friends or owt :lol:

Yeap, I hate this narrative that I'm supposed to like the owners now since we are doing well again.

What strikes me from the two episodes so far is how close and relaxed the relationships between players- manager- executive and owner seem to be, compared with my usual impressions of football clubs. It often feels like those various components are occupying different worlds, and their interactions can feel very awkward. With the club now, it feels quite huggy and warm, and I think that's much to do with the way the Amanda - Eddie axis is working.

I loved that huge photo after the Leicester game at the end of the season, where everyone, from the Chairman of PIF to the backroom staff to the player's wives and children were all together. It gives a good message. I don't think the sense of togetherness is fake. I understand the concerns about 'sportswashing', but there's another, more positive story going on here.

19 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Yeap, I hate this narrative that I'm supposed to like the owners now since we are doing well again.

You'd think we'd be once bitten twice shy after the first year of Ashley like. :lol:

Then seeing how quickly that 'we've always been at war with Eurasia' spin happened with Abramovic as soon as Russia were the baddies. 

I’ve enjoyed it because it’s about Newcastle, however, the editing hasn’t been the best. Wished it was slightly more football oriented, more ”All or Nothing”-styled. Also, don’t mind the owners at all, not sure what people were expecting from a documentary about the club. Actually quite pleasently surprised that Amanda and Mehrdad seems very involved in the club and while obviously they won’t portray them differently, it does seem like the players genuinely get along with them and that they genuinely care about the club. Then again, Mike Ashley seemed the same from the start and he ended up fucking us for over a decade.

Taking it for what it is, a puff piece with generic sport documentary editing and overdone emphatic music. There's some emotive stuff in there though, mainly Burn, Longstaff and our flag displays.

One thing I forgot was how much of a nothing foul was given for the FK leading to Man U's first goal in the cup final. Shite refereeing.

Edited by GEFAFWISP

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Commentary that isn't iconic always throws me like. Pearce commentating over Albert's goal and not Martin Tyler just isn't right.

2 hours ago, TBG said:

In a similar vain Tyler coming out with "Leader of the Robot Coalition of Chaos: It's Sir Killalot!" doesn't sit right.

How’s this not got more love? Buckled :lol: 

Halfway through the episode and the cup final stuff is hard to watch knowing we lost it. So proud of the players and fans watching it though. Ah man the buzz back then was so good, I'm really looking forward to the draw for the League Cup in a couple of weeks so we can start the journey again. 

34 minutes ago, Decky said:

Halfway through the episode and the cup final stuff is hard to watch knowing we lost it. So proud of the players and fans watching it though. Ah man the buzz back then was so good, I'm really looking forward to the draw for the League Cup in a couple of weeks so we can start the journey again. 

Same man. Bringing back some horrible memories :(

50 minutes ago, Decky said:

I'll never forgive Almiron for that pass.  Never.

From what I saw during the America preseason….what you see from how our owners interacting with the players and staff on the documentary is exactly how they are in real life. They were hugging and talking and joking with the staff, players and fans. Amazon cameras weren’t following them this summer. 

Really enjoyed this episode, showed more of the team and it had loads of Bruno, what's not to love. The bond the whole team has really shines though, they'd put everything on the line for each other. As others have said their doesn't seems to be any barriers between the top level directors and the team, Amanda's love and respect for Eddie is clear to see.