Notts Forest 1-2 Newcastle United (17/03/2023)

Disco

Guest reefatoon

That point in the second half too when the defender was nearly pulling Anderson’s shirt off in the box. Was screaming for a pen there too. Shit officiating in the game. He was fucking useless.

All in all we nearly got done by a ref who bottled a lot, or a ref that simply did not want to offer us much of any spoils if he could get away with it, which he did.

If the handball hadn't been so blatant then I'm fairly sure the ref would've found a way to wipe that off as well. Well put it this way, the way the game went and what Forest were getting away with it certainly wouldn't have surprised me.

The offside for Anderson's goal was laughable but they found a reason to disallow it so it is what it is, as silly as the decision it was.

We deserved that win but it goes to show how a game can be snatched away from you by ref's mistakes or a players mistake.

I thought Botman had his worst game for us since signing but that doesn't mean he was totally out of it it just means the decisions he made were highlighted more.

Isak was obviously man of the match but Willock deserves a special mention also.

I was very Impressed with Anderson when he came on and I was also impressed with Murphy for the time he was on.

Danny boy Burn stood up to his task well and was rarely bothered except for one time when Johnson got the better of him but that's going to happen in any game when you're up against players like that.

3 well deserved away points and a nice warm weather break for most of the lads.

What's not to like for them and us as this time?

Fantastic.

3 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Didn't see the game, only the highlights. The highlights seem as though we dominated, hit the wood work twice, had Anderson's goal wrongly disallowed and they only scored against the run of play due to a freak Botman error. Is that correct or was the game actually closer?

Overall we controlled 70% of that game and if this had been at St James' Park Forest would've likely been blasted out of sight.

The game was only as close as the officials made it.

Edited by magvicar

36 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It's one of the things about VAR that still needs a bit of straightening out. When a ref gets called over to the monitor, there's a lot of pressure on him to reverse his decision - otherwise why get called over? I've only once seen a ref stick to his guns (Michael Oliver). It's quite a rarity.

On the other hand, I think VAR sometimes calls the ref over when they are genuinely unsure of the right call, and want to share the burden of responsibility. I reckon that was the case here, and in fairness, it was an unusual situation. In reality though, it wasn't a clear and obvious error and that should have been the end of it. Instead, the two parties stumble into a poor decision.

I wasn't in favour of VAR for anything but purely factual decisions, but it's working out better than I was expecting. However, it was always going to take a few seasons to get the procedures and grey areas into the best shape. There's a lesson to be learned from this episode.

It wasn’t an unusual situation though. That exact situation will happen dozens of times this weekend. 

Not even sure the ref knew what he was meant to be looking at :lol:

Seeing as he got called over he just went with the easy option for fear of being wrong.  That's my completely bias take anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Seeing as he got called over he just went with the easy option for fear of being wrong.  That's my completely bias take anyway. 

I think what's most worrying about the officials in our country is that they got the law wrong, not something like was it a dive or was there enough contact etc.

They got the law wrong, that's just unforgivable really and shows how incompetent our officiating is.

17 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I think you're right there. Under the laws of the game that goal should have stood. He's been asked to go over to the monitor because tbh I think VAR were confused and once he's done that he's took the easy option in case he's made a massive mistake, which he has done in the end anyway.

I still run with incompetence before corruption.  The fact the VAR team would happily go on the record stating that Felipe didn’t deliberately play the ball I reckon fulfils the criterion of embarrassment, and shows that they don’t realise how stupid they sound. 

7 minutes ago, LV said:

Let’s not forget how many top teams haven't won there this season. It was a great result. 

And their only chance for a goal was a mistake from us. For all the anger yesterday its easy to forget they really did not create anything at home.

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I still run with incompetence before corruption.  The fact the VAR team would happily go on the record stating that Felipe didn’t deliberately play the ball I reckon fulfils the criterion of embarrassment, and shows that they don’t realise how stupid they sound. 

Just catching up now, have the VAR team said that?

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

That point in the second half too when the defender was nearly pulling Anderson’s shirt off in the box. Was screaming for a pen there too. Shit officiating in the game. He was fucking useless.

Couldn't believe the lack of reaction from the players.. I was screaming at the TV myself.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

my first trip to the city groud. canny well situated, loads bars, and places to eat around the ground.

but why didnt we get a pel for that shirt pull on anderson. wasnt just a grab, he was clearly impeded.

To be honest, I think the argument would be that Anderson initially fouled the defender by knocking him over, prompting the return foul. I'd want to see it again, but by modern rules, I'd probably be pissed off if it was given against us.

This was my seat amongst the Forest fans. I would of filmed the 'limbs' a bit longer but there was a few fans around me that cottoned on to that i was a Newcastle supporter throughout the game [emoji38]

Had a great day though. Would of took a diplomatic 1-1 on behalf of my Forest supporting mate and his bairn who got me the ticket.  I never knew i possessed such restraint during those two hours :lol:

Edited by ste_ne24