Scott McTominay

Jack27

29 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Literally put this on full vol and held it to my ear in the cafe :lol: ffs

Same :lol: , in the fucking office as well. If that was the sound of an orgasm, you’ve just broke my PA’s fast for Ramadan. Well done.

Edited by McCormick

14 hours ago, TRon said:

We've seen that he can score goals in spurts, actually something that Longstaff can do as well. I'm sure he can tackle and press effectively as well - again something Longstaff can do as well. My only question is how good is he in possession? Can he hold the ball? Can he bring it out? Can he pass with precision? Is his first touch good? Why did you pay £60m for a 31yr old Brazilian if the answer to all of those questions is yes?

Good questions.

He's fine in possession. If you want a comparison, he's about the same level as Rice and Phillips.

He's not the most adventurous of passers, but neither are the aforementioned two. His first touch is OK.

His main attributes are dribbling and shooting. If I were going to put a label on him, I'd say that he's an old school box-to-box midfielder.

He isn't an anchorman. He's better when he's closer to the opposition box than his own.

He's unlucky playing in a generation where double-pivots are in fashion. The midfield position these days are broken into two halves, and I'll be honest, he isn't good another to play either.

If he played in a three man central midfield were he was given licence to get forward, etc, he'd easily get double digits of goals a season.

Since you mention Casemiro, he's a weird player. His positioning is world class but his passing is shocking. At Madrid he kept it simple, and was effective, but since he joined Manchester United I think he's been asked to pass through the lines. He can't do that.

Edited by TheDarkKnight

19 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

You talk about snobbery and then you talk utter nonsense about Willock and Longstaff 

Willock is a better player than McTominay and is still getting better 

My point is that the English midfield isn't really that strong. Behind Phillips and Rice Is an aging Henderson and a soon to be relegated Ward Prowse, there's very little.

Also, people forget that Gareth Southgate tried to convince McTominay to play for England.

I know that it's a cliche, but if McTominay were Brazilian and his name was McTominho, people's perception of him would probably be different.

18 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

That footballers progress at different ages.

Eh? That's not the point you were making though

You suggested Arsenal being happy to sell him meant he wasn't all that but the examples I gave of Salah/KDB proves that means nothing really 

8 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

My point is that the English midfield isn't really that strong. Behind Phillips and Rice Is an aging Henderson and a soon to be relegated Ward Prowse, there's very little.

Also, people forget that Gareth Southgate tried to convince McTominay to play for England.

I know that it's a cliche, but if McTominay were Brazilian and his name was McTominho, people's perception of him would probably be different.

I think your last point is bollocks because if we were linked to Fred, an actual Brazilian, you'll find the reaction would be the same if not worse

29 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Wouldn't shock me to see him go to West Ham. Rice leaving to go the other way also.

It would be like swapping an apple for an orange.

Totally different players.

I think whomever buys Rice will play him as a center back.

16 hours ago, thomas said:

sure he might be able to polish a turd but what if we just buy him a diamond in the first place

Yeah, but not every signing is going to be a diamond, some are just players who can get a job done. I think that's ok.

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

It would be like swapping an apple for an orange.

Totally different players.

I think whomever buys Rice will play him as a center back.

Yes they are different players with different traits and all that but that doesn't mean that West Ham won't be looking at someone like McTominay if Rice leaves. 

And I'm assuming you're joking by saying he'll end up playing at CB when he leaves, otherwise that would be some crazy stupid hot take.