Scott McTominay

Jack27

It’s almost as if everyone has forgotten the ‘why would we sign Pope when we have Dubravka’ argument.

If he signs, he’s Eddie’s choice and clearly we need another similar player to play the Longstaff does.  They’d be direct competition for one another should he sign.

If the lad signs, I think Howe has completely earned the right to sign who he thinks fits best.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s almost as if everyone has forgotten the ‘why would we sign Pope when we have Dubravka’ argument.

If he signs, he’s Eddie’s choice and clearly we need another similar player to play the Longstaff does.  They’d be direct competition for one another should he sign.

If the lad signs, I think Howe has completely earned the right to sign who he thinks fits best.  

It was always obvious at the time Pope was going to be an upgrade on Dubravka, have to trust in Eddie but if we are paying any more than say 20 million for a Longstaff backup such as McTominay then it looks a poor deal.

Sorry for double-post; obviously someone like Rice would be ideal.  But we’re not likely to be shopping in that market this summer.  The squad needs bulking with quality - I’m happy to be wrong, but we’re still two or three summers away from spunking the budget on one player 

Just now, Geogaddi said:

It was always obvious at the time Pope was going to be an upgrade on Dubravka, have to trust in Eddie but if we are paying any more than say 20 million for a Longstaff backup such as McTominay then it looks a poor deal.

I’d re-read the NO thread.  It wasn’t obvious to most. 

McTominay would also not be backup.  He’d be direct competition

Edited by TheBrownBottle

7 hours ago, David Edgar said:

I probably have more faith in him than Gordon.

Gordon looks like he's got some pace and skill about him. Not sure about the end product yet, but he's shown enough flashes for me to think there might be a player there.

McTominay I'm not even sure what his position is. He just seems to be a gangly big player who puts himself about a bit without much finesse. Presumably that's why Ten Hag is happy to ship him out.

I absolutely trust Howe and the transfer team, even though I'm not fan of McTominay.

My biggest problem is that I hate the idea of us removing £40m from our budget and adding it to that of a direct rival to get him 

13 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I absolutely trust Howe and the transfer team, even though I'm not fan of McTominay.

My biggest problem is that I hate the idea of us removing £40m from our budget and adding it to that of a direct rival to get him 

No way they’re getting 40m for him :lol:

17 minutes ago, McCormick said:

No way they’re getting 40m for him :lol:

Well it doesn't really move the dial on my thoughts if it's "only" £25m instead.

Hate the idea of bankrolling a rival by taking their unwanted trash for good money.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If he signs, he’s Eddie’s choice

Is that really true? I thought Dan Ashworth said it was more of a committee decision where he was responsible for building a consensus. I've also read some Eddie Howe quotes that suggest he is not the ultimate decision maker.  Old Dan Ashworth quote:

He says: “We would work off of a traffic light system; the recruitment department have got to like the player; the player has got to stack up on data and numbers like the contract and if we can afford him; and the first team manager has got to like the player. If all three things get the green light, then we’ll go ahead. If one is orange, then we need to have a discussion “

Is there much back and forth with the manager when debating the possibility of signing a player? “Yes, of course,” Ashworth explains. “They’re big, multi-million-pound decisions. If it didn’t go backwards and forwards, then there’d be something wrong!

“In any business, if there’s a multi-million-pound decision then several people will be getting involved. It’s healthy debate and constructive conflict. Graham might say “I like this player” and we ask “why?” because we think another player can do X, Y, and Z better and is better value. We then either agree or disagree, then sign the player, or we don’t.”

Ashworth ends our conversation by stating that his role is one as a “relationship builder”, adding: “I’ve got to get on the right page with whichever head coach I’m working with. I’ve got to understand their philosophy, what they want from their team and what they like and dislike, because there’s no point in me bringing them in a player that I know isn’t going to be any good to them.”  Dan Ashworth quote

Howe wants 2 11s.  McTominay feels like a good comparable to Longstaff with the added ability to play DCM.  He's a unit and will do well in the press. 

Plus Mourinho raved about his attitude.  Gotta count for something.  

I'm in.

Just now, David Edgar said:

Howe wants 2 11s.  McTominay feels like a good comparable to Longstaff with the added ability to play DCM.  He's a unit and will do well in the press. 

Plus Mourinho raved about his attitude.  Gotta count for something.  

I'm in.

He’s not a good DM at all though.

He will never be good enough for where we aim to go imo. Howe talks about the pool of players being small, elite ones. I dont count or see McTom in that description.

Edited by Ikon

Just now, McCormick said:

Probably take him for that. What do you think of him?

He's a pro. Never any bother out of him. He's just good though. I would actually be surprised if he's still on your radar. He's not a CL player. 

Just now, Froggy said:

He's a pro. Never any bother out of him. He's just good though. I would actually be surprised if he's still on your radar. He's not a CL player. 

But but but but Howe can make milkshake out of ass liquid. 

£20M is very fair price for very decent squad player, We got £25M for Wood by comparison, I feel we need to think differently to what were used to, were a professionally ran club with some of the brightest minds / strategists in the game working for us, Mctominey is a very decent squad player / 2nd 11 player imo.

Howe probably isn't going to turn a player who cannot hit a barn door into a 20 goal a season striker or anything, but if they have the right physical attributes and attitude he's shown he can make them invaluable to his system.

People were legitimately laughing at the idea of getting even a million quid from Everton for Longstaff about a year ago [emoji38]

I'm not saying McTominay is a delicious signing or anything, but when the idea is to harass the opposition in their 3rd and then win the 2nd balls a player like McTominay makes perfect sense. Longstaff's was a big miss when he was injured.