Scott McTominay

Jack27

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

He was following Bruno around all first half as part of ETH man for man marking system in midfield, and tbf I didn't notice Bruno doing much positive either. Kept possession sure, but almost only back and sideways passes.

Not sure why they didn't continue with it in the second half, or at least re-started it once Bruno started being more and more influential on the game.

We were still overrunning their midfield and creating chances. Willock and Longstaff, Isak all has good chances. I think or Xg was close to 2 at half time. They needed to change something. The switch in midfield quietened our attacks for the first 15 minutes or so tbf.  

2 hours ago, Stal said:

Is Dark Knight actually McTominay?

I'm Paul Scholes

If you want to judge him over one match, then fair enough. But every outfield Manchester United player was trash yesterday.

Newcastle were awesome. No other words to describe it.

I've been honest another Scott McTominay. Maybe you should read what I've said. Never have I mentioned that he's the incarnation of Scholes or Keane.

In truth, he's one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen playing for United (and Scotland). I've seen him go toe-to-toe with Verratti and Busquets... but I've also seen him look lost against the likes of Bournemouth.

Motivated, he's dynamic, but it's how to motivate him, that's the question. SAF could probably turn him into a Patrick Vieira clone.

Paid more attention to him yesterday than I normally would.

Can definitely see the attributes he possesses that Howe would like. His physicality is really good and he’s a fairly strong ball carrier.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, they did get completely overrun in midfield but I thought he was the best of a bad bunch.

So I could see him fitting into our squad quite nicely, but once the price starts going upwards of £20m/£25m, you’d have to start questioning whether those kind of resources would be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by SteV

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Paid more attention to him yesterday than I normally would.

Can definitely see the attributes he possesses that Howe would like. His physicality is really good and he’s a fairly strong ball carrier.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, they did get completely overrun in midfield but I thought he was the best of a bad bunch.

So I could see him fitting into our squad quite nicely, but once the price starts going upwards of £20m/£25m, you’d have to start questioning whether those kind of resources would be better spent elsewhere.

I thought Willock's interview post match was very telling, when he talked about Howe building an athletic dynamic side and him wanting the number eights to get into the box in support of the striker. I think this looks especially dangerous now with Isak dropping into space, keeping possession and linking play, which allows the eights to get forward.

I think if McTominay comes in, it ill be as another eight that bombs up and down the pitch in that manner, with and without the ball, and gets in the box like he did in the two Scotland games. We have also been linked with Khephrem Thuram, who I watched over the weekend again for Nice, and he is another that has this type of game, although he is more technical and cute with his passing. Kouadio Kone is another we've been linked with that is similar, as is Connor Gallagher.

I like the setup. Think I'd lean more to that approach, and keep Bruno as the deeper playmaker that can also pick his moments to get forward, like he did on the first goal when Isak found him with the pass that opened things up.

Edited by KaKa

Fwiw, you can’t have a team full of game changers and him or Longstaff in the team would do a very important role and would add competition for that position. For a sensible price I’d get him in. If I were ETH I’d be hanging on to him after seeing what else they had on offer yesterday.

Just now, Tsunami said:

Fwiw, you can’t have a team full of game changers and him or Longstaff in the team would do a very important role and would add competition for that position. For a sensible price I’d get him in. If I were ETH I’d be hanging on to him after seeing what else they had on offer yesterday.

Joelinton, Longstaff, McTominay, Willock seems like overkill for what is 2 roles. We can't find anyone with a bit more technically for that role?

Mediocre prospect.

Could see him filling a role at Leicester, Villa or Everton as the body in the middle.

He's not shite, he's a PL midfielder, but for a middle to lower half team, where graft begins to substitute the technical and strategic ability they can't afford in the transfer market.

Which why it doesn't make sense - £50 Mill for a player with no real attributes outside of his physical characteristics and perhaps a strong mentality - For that money we should be looking at a technically proficient or promising player with decent experience in a top league.

I think Eddie has it in mind to try to buy some young, British prospects with a bit of 'tude, faces like smacked arses, who won't take any shit, to act as the grit / steel at the core of the squad - Which is fine and everything, but that can't be their primary asset surely? You'd want a players technical ability to come close to matching or eclipsing their mental fortitude for that outlay - And I really don't see that with McTominay - He's a defensive / ball winning mid who's not great at defending or ball winning, nor the creativity or technical ability to supplement that role with being someone who can provide opportunities or assists.

Somebody on here, youtube or wherever said just a little while ago that Eddie needs to stop thinking he has to turn lead into gold, he's not at Bournemouth anymore, he has the money to buy quality, ready made players - And whilst I appreciate that those sentiments don't take into account the financial implications of tightening FFP - They're not far off the mark - There is money to spend, there are key positions to fill - And McTominay is hardly best in class - Eddie should raise his transfer expectations a bit, go for a higher calibre player and let Ashworth & The Owners sort out the financials - Of course, that presumes that they haven't already and given Eddie the sort of leeway that results at him looking at 1/2 McFred in the first place - Doubt it though.

25 minutes ago, Hank Marvin said:

Mediocre prospect.

Could see him filling a role at Leicester, Villa or Everton as the body in the middle.

He's not shite, he's a PL midfielder, but for a middle to lower half team, where graft begins to substitute the technical and strategic ability they can't afford in the transfer market.

Which why it doesn't make sense - £50 Mill for a player with no real attributes outside of his physical characteristics and perhaps a strong mentality - For that money we should be looking at a technically proficient or promising player with decent experience in a top league.

I think Eddie has it in mind to try to buy some young, British prospects with a bit of 'tude, faces like smacked arses, who won't take any shit, to act as the grit / steel at the core of the squad - Which is fine and everything, but that can't be their primary asset surely? You'd want a players technical ability to come close to matching or eclipsing their mental fortitude for that outlay - And I really don't see that with McTominay - He's a defensive / ball winning mid who's not great at defending or ball winning, nor the creativity or technical ability to supplement that role with being someone who can provide opportunities or assists.

Somebody on here, youtube or wherever said just a little while ago that Eddie needs to stop thinking he has to turn lead into gold, he's not at Bournemouth anymore, he has the money to buy quality, ready made players - And whilst I appreciate that those sentiments don't take into account the financial implications of tightening FFP - They're not far off the mark - There is money to spend, there are key positions to fill - And McTominay is hardly best in class - Eddie should raise his transfer expectations a bit, go for a higher calibre player and let Ashworth & The Owners sort out the financials - Of course, that presumes that they haven't already and given Eddie the sort of leeway that results at him looking at 1/2 McFred in the first place - Doubt it though.

You had a nice easter weekend?