Scott McTominay

Jack27

On 26/05/2023 at 11:11, TheDarkKnight said:

In fairness, the Manchester United fans are the biggest self-loathing fans in the world.

On redcafe, they have a performance threads for all of the squad members. It's just threads of United fans bitching and whingeing.

If you look deeply enough, you'll find Manchester United fans wanting to sell Rashford.

It wasn't that long ago that the Manchester United were comparing McTominay to Keane. They're a fickle bunch.

As a Scotland and Manchester United fan, I want McTominay to stay at Manchester United and either play as a number 10 or even as a number 9.

In midfield, he would be best utilised as a marauding box-to-box number 8.

Imagine if Dan Burn or Longstaff was playing regularly for Manchester United. Their fans would be chasing them out of town. If they played Dan Burn at left back their fans would be furious, and rival fans would make memes about him. Nothing against Burn or Longstaff, more about what playing for Manchester United can be like if you're not one of their very best players. The expectations are extremely high.

Edited by Erikse

9 hours ago, Astroblack said:

At the cost of losing Cole, no?

Butt, Obertan, Smith. We’ve been burned far too many times. Simo was ok but he was young and had the Championship to climatize. 

But he was still good. The argument was that every player we’ve got from Manchester Red Sox has been finished or rubbish, so I said that’s not the case, Gillespie was neither. I actually forgot about Simpson as another player that disproves that theory, so thank you. 

We were burned on Smith and Butt, certainly. Nowhere near played to their price or reputation. Obertan was guff but I understand taking a £1m flyer on him given his raw pace and previous potential. 

7 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Imagine if Dan Burn or Longstaff was playing regularly for Manchester United. Their fans would be chasing them out of town. If they played Dan Burn at left back their fans would be furious, and rival fans would make memes about him. Nothing against Burn or Longstaff, more about what playing for Manchester United can be like if you're not one of their very best players. The expectations are extremely high.

Dan Burn = John O'Shea

Longstaff is just a really good footballer that Man Utd would be lucky to have.

11 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Dan Burn = John O'Shea

They would be fuming about his finishing and passing, lets be real. Defensive contribution and work rate helps, but it's not enough for them. I'm not saying Longstaff is not a good player, I'm saying that many of their fans make some of their players seem like worthless trash if they're not amongst their top players. Do you really think they would not be complaining their asses off about Burn at left back?

Longstaff has been important for us because he fits well into our system and his role in our team. Also because we lacked any replacement for that role when he got injured.

Edited by Erikse

13 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Dan Burn = John O'Shea

John O'Shea was miles better than Dan Burn. :lol:

I just think that Longstaff has gradually developed into a top CM this season.  He has limitations, but he is becoming dominant in some aspects.  He'd do a job for Man Utd.  And yeah, he'd get similar criticism from their fans, but they'd be as harsh as us.

Burn is underrated.  Annoying in some ways, but he's just been a lock in, slightly out of position, in the joint best defensive in the EPL. 

He fucks me right off, but you can't deny what he brings. 

I think my overall position on all these points is that the extreme opinions are way off.

Edited by David Edgar

Yeah, if you go just 2-3 months back in the Longstaff thread you will find people calling for Longstaff to be sold. The point I'm trying to make is that just because Manchester United fans wants McTominay gone doesn't mean that he wouldn't do a job for us.

9 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Burn is underrated.  Annoying in some ways, but he's just been a lock in, slightly out of position, in the joint best defensive in the EPL. 

He fucks me right off, but you can't deny what he brings. 

I think my overall position on all these points is that the extreme opinions are way off.

I agree, again I'm not trying to criticize Burn or Longstaff here. What I like about Burn is that you kind of allways know what you will get. He's not a star, but atleast he is quite consistent. Hoping to see more of him at CB rather than LB.

Edited by Erikse

12 hours ago, Astroblack said:

At the cost of losing Cole, no?

Butt, Obertan, Smith. We’ve been burned far too many times. Simo was ok but he was young and had the Championship to climatize. 

We became a better team without Cole and with Gillespie.  Became title contenders in the next two seasons where we were falling away from that previously and struggling to score.

Victors get to rewrite history but Cole was considered a disaster his first three seasons at Man United, a literal joke at times.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

We became a better team without Cole and with Gillespie.  Became title contenders in the next two seasons where we were falling away from that previously and struggling to score.

Victors get to rewrite history but Cole was considered a disaster his first three seasons at Man United, a literal joke at times.

Andy Cole couldn't score in a brothel with £7m strapped to his nob. That's all I remember from that transfer, I was 15 tbf

On 26/05/2023 at 07:47, Unbelievable said:

I mostly avoid this thread as I don’t like spending time contemplating seeing McTominay in black and white, but I have to ask: what is the assumption that Howe is massively keen on him based on? Has Eddie ever come out and said as much?

I could imagine McTominay might have been an option if we were playing in the lesser EUFA competition. I can also imagine that if we qualified for the CL then we might upgrade to higher level transfer targets. This debate could be raging on the basis of absolutely fuck all tbh.

8 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Andy Cole couldn't score in a brothel with £7m strapped to his nob. That's all I remember from that transfer, I was 15 tbf

He also didn’t score in his last nine PL games for us.  Teams had worked out how to defend against him.  KK sold him at exactly the right moment - the issue with selling Cole was not replacing him until the summer

29 minutes ago, Beth said:

May as well just get Isaac Hayden back in the team and save around £30-40M for the same results.

Hayden would not have had 207 games for Manchester United. McTominay is not a Championship player.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

Hayden would not have had 207 games for Mamchester United. McTominay is not a Championship player.

And McTominay is not a top 6 PL standard player, which is where we want to be.

23 hours ago, Froggy said:

John O'Shea was miles better than Dan Burn. :lol:

Was he b*****ks

Different player different role, and Burn has been far more effective and useful for us than O'Shea ever was for you. 

Edited by gjohnson

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Was he b*****ks

Different player different role, and Burn has been far more effective and useful for us than O'Shea ever was for you. 

I can't even begin to explain how wrong you are. :lol:  In what world was Dan Burn more useful than O'Shea? O'Shea made nearly 400 appearances for us and played every position on the pitch for us at some point.

O'Shea is lightyears ahead of Burn. Not even remotely close. 

6 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I can accept anyone saying McTominay isn't good, but saying Burn is better than O'Shea is a bizarre take. :lol: Can appreciate the job he's done for you all the same.