Scott McTominay

Jack27

The lack of trust that some fans have in our recruitment team is staggering.

Of course it's perfectly normal to discuss the merits of a potential signing and while I'm not the biggest fan of McTominay, it's evident why he would be on our radar. He's athletic, a good ball carrier and he has a goal in his locker. He would be more than capable of slotting in as one of number eights.

Personally speaking I'd prefer a player who is better with the ball at is feet, but perhaps the club do too. Afterall we don't know who is on the shortlist and how they're being prioritised. 

While it isn't a signing that would knock my socks off, neither did Burn, Targett nor Pope and on the whole they've been excellent additions. At this stage, the recruitment team and Howe as de-facto DoF have more than enough credit in the bank to be signing whoever they feel will move the squad forward. If he does sign though, I have no doubt he'd be added to the "make passive aggressive comments about until he makes an error, then immediately stick the boot in" list along with Gordon.  

If Eddie wants him, I’ll trust Eddie but I think we can do better. He was a squad player in a Champions League team. We’re a Champions League team now. He doesn’t get in over Willock, Bruno, or Joelinton. I guess he’ll be competing with Longstaff? But Sean’s a lot more involved in our build up play and is great at sweeping up in midfield. I’ve never seen McTomminay do any of these things. If he isn’t scoring goals, I don’t know what he does. I genuinely believe he’s used as a body to make headed clearances for opposition corners. I really don’t like or want him. 

Edited by Astroblack

It's mostly forgotten, but Eddie Howe signed Dan Gosling for Bournemouth from us. He cost them coppers and played nearly 200 games for them, scoring 20+ goals. I bet few NUFC fans at the time were saying "what a great signing for Bournemouth".

He also signed Josh King, a Man U reject, for a very low fee from Blackburn in the Champo. He did great and would have been worth 20M or so at one point.

I'm not saying it should be McTominay, but I do want to see a Bournemouth Eddie Howe signing. Someone unexpected and who no-one rates, but can come in and do a great job. I'd feel a bit short-changed if we don't get one. Dan Burn has been the closest so far.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

He's athletic, a good ball carrier and he has a goal in his locker. He would be more than capable of slotting in as one of number eights.

Would Manchester United fans agree with any of those things? 

5 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

Random, but I swear someone on here said he'd be the next Lampard :lol: not having a dig, just funny how things work out.

Maybe he was referring to Frank’s managerial prowess.

5 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Feel like Phillip Billing and Scott McTom would cost the same. Billing is a much better player. Go out and get him instead. 

Totally different players and Billing plays as as ten for Bournemouth with license to get forward and roam. He’s way better there than he was deeper at Huddersfield.

Maybe he might do a job but we need better and for the money they would want I’m sure we could do better abroad. Man U don’t sell top players (unless Madrid come calling), if they’re selling he’s deemed not good enough, why should we settle for that.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

if we are interested in him, do you think Eddie and Ashworth have got it wrong?

Not really. he was a secondary choice if we didn't make the CL is how I read it.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

if we are interested in him, do you think Eddie and Ashworth have got it wrong?

Yep.

Thankfully though, our "interest" in him seems fictional.

Edited by Skeletor

I feel like we saw a few of these stories in January and when the takeover happened. Big teams peddling us their shite for over-inflated fees. Maybe he comes, maybe he doesn't, but to me it still feels like optimistic press briefings over a likely outcome. 

Remember when Pope signed and half this forum said it was pointless because Dubs was better/as good, yeah I remember. 

Edited by Nine

59 minutes ago, Nine said:

Remember when Pope signed and half this forum said it was pointless because Dubs was better/as good, yeah I remember. 

That was absurd. I don’t think it was half the forum, mind.

And it’s worth saying Dubravka was overrated on here, as goalkeepers often are because your typical fan doesn’t appreciate that the difference between an average / decent keeper and a very good one at PL level isn’t making flashy saves that keep the scoreline down. Darlow is a great case in point. A mess of a keeper who makes Hollywood saves in amongst being an utter liability with decision making.

38 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

That was absurd. I don’t think it was half the forum, mind.

And it’s worth saying Dubravka was overrated on here, as goalkeepers often are because your typical fan doesn’t appreciate that the difference between an average / decent keeper and a very good one at PL level isn’t making flashy saves that keep the scoreline down. Darlow is a great case in point. A mess of a keeper who makes Hollywood saves in amongst being an utter liability with decision making.

Yeah, I agree with that.  Hollywood saves are often the result of poor positioning - and Dubravka's positioning isn't the greatest.  Pope is clearly superior in terms of positioning / angles / decision making, and was when he signed.  Dubravka is a mediore top flight keeper - but that made him superior to what we had at the time.

He's still an excellent 'number 2' if he is happy to stay, though.