Scott McTominay

Jack27

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

And why exactly should we trust your player analysis over the man that has got us into the Champions League in a year with even lesser players?

Because there is fuck all actual indication that he's even interested in that player, especially when it originally came from bald cunt Edwards. A better player than our current midfield, I don't think so. 

8 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Hmmm. Didn’t think either would go for that much. Maybe naive on my part. Both at relegated clubs (probably).

Both would be really good investments IMO. Adams especially is well suited to our game. Can pass the ball.

I'm just saying based on the reports, and they seem to be linked to other top clubs. Prices are crazy in recent years.. Chelsea had a 50m bid rejected for Lavia last summer. It's hard to find players who has performed in the PL for around 20m.

Edited by Erikse

58 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well you're not the one managing the team so it's not relevant.

If we want to be good we should probably at least start by giving the manager that has done so well the players he wants, regardless of your expert opinion.

[emoji38]

I'm genuinely perplexed as to why this is even a topic to discuss. I cant see us going for him. We have Longstaff who's probably a slightly poorer man's version of him. Maybe I'm missing something here. Are there people who actually want us to sign him? For what purpose?

It kind of beggars belief that folks acknowledge the exceptional job Howe has done to get a tune out of players who had long ago been written off, and yet are instantly writing off McTominay.

And those same folks will also acknowledge that we’ve clearly been missing Longstaff the past few weeks! McTominay is a like-for-like replacement, and probably gettable on the cheap.

1 minute ago, Deuce said:

It kind of beggars belief that folks acknowledge the exceptional job Howe has done to get a tune out of players who had long ago been written off, and yet are instantly writing off McTominay.

And those same folks will also acknowledge that we’ve clearly been missing Longstaff the past few weeks! McTominay is a like-for-like replacement, and probably gettable on the cheap.

Because it’s like winning the lottery and buying a car off gumtree.

We should aspire to have the level of Brighton recruitment (or near about) when it comes to buying players that comply with FFP and are astute purchases if we aren't spending crazy money just yet

A Man United C class player isn't one of them.. but hey what do we know. 

Edited by Amir_9

So much hatred for a player we have not even bid for.

Botman aside I can't remember us chasing and signing someone that the press knew about. 

Most of our transfers have been done in relatively short, quick time.

And it's not like Man U are going to been keen sellers to us even if it was true... Just look at the whole Jessie Lingard situation 

57 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Botman aside I can't remember us chasing and signing someone that the press knew about. 

And it's not like Man U are going to been keen sellers to us even if it was true... Just look at the whole Jessie Lingard situation 

We were linked with Gordon for a good while. We're still being linked with McTominay, but it's impossible to know if we're after him.

1 hour ago, Viana said:

Because it’s like winning the lottery and buying a car off gumtree.

I don't think anyone would be impressed if that was our only CM signing. It would have to be alongside a bigger signing. We won the lottery and bought Dan Burn for £13 mill. Great signing that one. He will still help us next season. Rotation will be important, and we can't spend enough to be rotating between world beaters yet.

And by the way: Lets not forget that he has 143 appearances for Manchester United at 26 years of age. He has the experience of playing under high pressure.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Deuce said:

Too much FIFA brain around here imo. 

I mean, I’m open to hearing your case for him, but I’m happy to illustrate why I’m not interested in him. 

- he’s 26 years old, so I wouldn’t consider him a project player. You’ll improve his form but I debate if you’ll improve his quality. 
- we’re discussing a 31m bid to a direct rival for a player that right now would be Sean Longstaff’s backup.

- he’s older than longstaff by a year. 

- I’m unconvinced he could be a versatile midfielder like Longstaff because his passing range and technical skills aren’t strong enough (I wouldn’t say Sean’s passing is great either fwiw).
- if we’re discussing midfield we have greater priorities than him.

3 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Lingard situation was pretty obvious that they were hoping we'd go down and didn't want to help us in anyway stay up. 

With McTominay they'd probably rather we bought him than a potentially much better alternative. 

I get the point about how Howe has transformed our current players but it's going to be a boring and long summer on here if that argument is used anytime someone says they aren't impressed by a potential target. If McTominay was on our books already then fair enough, but it's reasonable that folk don't want to spend £30m+ or whatever in a 26 year old who has never really looked like a top 4 player. Ideally you want Longstaff to be the cover for a better player not spending a decent wedge on cover for him. 

6 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Because there is fuck all actual indication that he's even interested in that player, especially when it originally came from bald cunt Edwards. A better player than our current midfield, I don't think so. 

A lot of you still don't get it.

I guarantee you will not find one post pushing for us to sign him on here or proclaiming that he would be a great signing.

Now none of us know for certain that we are interested, but most of the discussions have been based on the possibility that we are because the rumour keeps coming up. 

If this is indeed the case that Howe wants him, then based on the job he has done, and with even lesser players, he should absolutely be allowed to get the players he wants, regardless of how certain you all are that he is shit and as one 'analyst' on here proclaimed, is worse than League 1 midfielders.

7 hours ago, Sufi said:

I'm genuinely perplexed as to why this is even a topic to discuss. I cant see us going for him. We have Longstaff who's probably a slightly poorer man's version of him. Maybe I'm missing something here. Are there people who actually want us to sign him? For what purpose?

Well sort of, yes, and the purpose would be that if the manager wants him then he should be signed.

Everyone is so certain that he is this awful player that will always look awful regardless of the manager he plays for, or the role he has in the team. Football just doesn't work that way though.

A lot of people on here rated Richarlison and Bissouma highly last summer, and thought Spurs had done a great job getting them both for just under £100 million. How is that looking now though? They were awful fits for Conte and whatever he was doing at Spurs. It's all relative.

Another thing, Howe seems to like British players, this seemingly really annoys a lot of people on here I've noticed, even though so many of you are British! Howe seems to get the best out of them though, and feels they are well suited to his aggressive, high tempo pressing style. I understand the thinking.

Howe seems very certain of himself and what he is doing. I want to see him backed, even if the players brought in might not 'seem' to make as much sense to us initially.

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well sort of, yes, and the purpose would be that if the manager wants him then he should be signed.

Everyone is so certain that he is this awful player that will always look awful regardless of the manager he plays, or the role he has in the team. Football just doesn't work that way though.

A lot of people on here rated Richarlison and Bissouma highly last summer, and thought Spurs had done a great job getting them both for just under £100 million. How is that looking now though? They were awful fits for Conte and whatever he was doing at Spurs. It's all relative.

Another thing, Howe seems to like British players, this seemingly really annoys a lot of people on here I've noticed, even though so many of you are British! Howe seems to get the best out of them though, and feels they are well suited to his aggressive, high tempo pressing style. I understand the thinking.

Howe seems very certain of himself and what he is doing. I want to see him backed, even if the players brought in might not 'seem' to make as much sense to us initially.

Will address some of these points from my POV. 

The recruitment team should work together to buy players which I’m sure they are, everyone will of course naturally have an input and a preference. 

I think the main point I have is he hasn’t pulled up any trees at Manchester United and his stats are poor, when we played them I thought he was pretty rubbing apart from 1 run he made. Also the wider point is we can and should be aiming higher and better and personally I have an aversion to signing players from Manchester United given our previous deals with them. 

I’m all for us signing British players personally provided they improve us which I don’t think Mctominay does. Now I have no doubt Eddie will get a tune out of him my preference would be for us to sign players who have more potential and we go could become elite. (Think Bruno. isak and Botman). 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Will address some of these points from my POV. 

The recruitment team should work together to buy players which I’m sure they are, everyone will of course naturally have an input and a preference. 

I think the main point I have is he hasn’t pulled up any trees at Manchester United and his stats are poor, when we played them I thought he was pretty rubbing apart from 1 run he made. Also the wider point is we can and should be aiming higher and better and personally I have an aversion to signing players from Manchester United given our previous deals with them. 

I’m all for us signing British players personally provided they improve us which I don’t think Mctominay does. Now I have no doubt Eddie will get a tune out of him my preference would be for us to sign players who have more potential and we go could become elite. (Think Bruno. isak and Botman). 

The way Howe operates, with the detail he goes into, I have no doubt that any signings would be discussed with the recruitment team and opinions would be shared, but at the end of the day he has final say.

Ultimately, if he does want him, it will be for a specific reason, and there is something that he will want the player to add to the team. We can talk all we want about his stats at Man Utd, and what he did there, but we aren't Man United, and the managers he played for there are very different to Howe and his system and approach.

Some might not think McTominay improves us, but after seeing what the likes of Pope, Burn, Longstaff, Murphy, Joelinton, Almiron and Willock have produced this season, I just find it hard to just accept that.

We live in the age of the reign of Man City, and their ultra heavy possession and supreme technical quality, and a lot of people just want us to be a version of that, but that's not what the manager we have is about. Howe is legit in his own right though, just in a different way.

I think maybe I'm just really high on Howe and what he is doing. I think he is an exceptional manager.

Fucking stats man. The demise of football. Eddie Van Halen was better than Angus Young because he played more notes a second. 
yeah but AC/DC sold more records than Van Halen. 
yeah but Angus was only any good because Malcolm wrote the songs and they played defensive midfield riffs. 

blah blah blah. 

Stats my arse. Allardyce is all about the stats. 

I bet Tino’s stats were shit. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

A lot of you still don't get it.

I guarantee you will not find one post pushing for us to sign him on here or proclaiming that he would be a great signing.

Now none of us know for certain that we are interested, but most of the discussions have been based on the possibility that we are because the rumour keeps coming up. 

If this is indeed the case that Howe wants him, then based on the job he has done, and with even lesser players, he should absolutely be allowed to get the players he wants, regardless of how certain you all are that he is shit and as one 'analyst' on here proclaimed, is worse than League 1 midfielders.

If he signs then the question can be asked. I'm pretty confident he won't be as I don't take any notice of the likes of Edwards or Man Utd twitter sources. 

27 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The way Howe operates, with the detail he goes into, I have no doubt that any signings would be discussed with the recruitment team and opinions would be shared, but at the end of the day he has final say.

Ultimately, if he does want him, it will be for a specific reason, and there is something that he will want the player to add to the team. We can talk all we want about his stats at Man Utd, and what he did there, but we aren't Man United, and the managers he played for there are very different to Howe and his system and approach.

Some might not think McTominay improves us, but after seeing what the likes of Pope, Burn, Longstaff, Murphy, Joelinton, Almiron and Willock have produced this season, I just find it hard to just accept that.

We live in the age of the reign of Man City, and their ultra heavy possession and supreme technical quality, and a lot of people just want us to be a version of that, but that's not what the manager we have is about. Howe is legit in his own right though, just in a different way.

I think maybe I'm just really high on Howe and what he is doing. I think he is an exceptional manager.

I mostly avoid this thread as I don’t like spending time contemplating seeing McTominay in black and white, but I have to ask: what is the assumption that Howe is massively keen on him based on? Has Eddie ever come out and said as much?

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I mostly avoid this thread as I don’t like spending time contemplating seeing McTominay in black and white, but I have to ask: what is the assumption that Howe is massively keen on him based on? Has Eddie ever come out and said as much?

I think the assumption comes from his perceived preference for British players combined with the fact he’s not really of a profile which makes much sense (27 in December, well paid and unlikely to appreciate in value (in terms of if we need to move him on). 

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

There isn't any evidence he rates McTominay. It's all just twitter bullshit. This thread shouldn't even exist.

Just a throwaway line in the Times today, by Paul Hirst (their north west correspondent), saying that Man U need to clear out fringe players to help with their rebuild.

When discussing which of those would attract a fee to help them comply with FFP, it says "Dean Henderson, who is of interest to Nottingham Forest...is one of them, as is Scott McTominay, a target for Newcastle United."

May be nothing, but there's too much noise for me to think there's nothing in it. It just makes me want him even less, as it's helping a rival to buy better players.

30 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Just a throwaway line in the Times today, by Paul Hirst (their north west correspondent), saying that Man U need to clear out fringe players to help with their rebuild.

He’s played 23 PL games this season and 37 this season in total. Bit more than a fringe player, I’d have thought? Suggests he’d go for more than the fictitious £20m quoted also.