Scott McTominay

Jack27

3 hours ago, Nine said:

Remember when Pope signed and half this forum said it was pointless because Dubs was better/as good, yeah I remember. 

Are we using Pope's success to justify the McTominay signing? Just so I'm clear.

3 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Are we using Pope's success to justify the McTominay signing? Just so I'm clear.

No, but it is a reasonable point that some of the more OTT criticism may not be justified - and that if he signed, he might prove himself to be of significantly better quality than the current incumbent of that position.  Just as Pope did.

Personally, I find the 'elite level players only' stuff a bit odd - one top four finish doesn't mean that we're an elite level club yet, and FFP slows our ability to join that club.  Perfectly reasonable for people to think that he isn't much better / is the same as / isn't as good as Longstaff - it is a game of opinions, etc - but I watched what happened to our midfield when Longstaff was out at the end of the season.  I think McTominay is a perfectly talented and capable footballer, and would be better than the current competition for Longstaff - which last season was nobody, and next season would at present potentially be Hayden (if he returns).  There is a danger we're getting ahead of ourselves and making the perfect the enemy of the good.

I don't doubt that in four or five years time, signing a player like McTominay would be a retrograde step and would raise eyebrows and questions - I'm confident we'll be at a much higher level by then.

And of course, we might not even be interested in the lad anyway - it is just speculation until something happens.  I get the feeling that the rumours may be inaccurate this year, now that we have a full recruitment team onboard.

On 31/05/2023 at 14:04, cranna said:

Anthony Gordon followed by Scott McTominay is cause for concern about EH's plans. He needs more elite players than these two.

Yeah, like for example Mudryk, Sancho or Antony. That's the type of signings we need now that we're in the CL.

:iamatwat:

Edited by Erikse

11 hours ago, Weezertron said:

We are pointing out that plenty said signing Pope was a waste of time and money

I think if we continue to use 3 8s who effectively have to do everything in midfield he wouldn't be a bad option.  If buying bim means we can afford someone like Szobozlai then i wouldnt mind it.  Everyone has noticed who much worse we looked as a team when Longstaff was out and McTominay could be utilised in almost exactly the same role.  Im firmly of the belief that we should be buying players that suit the way our team plays.

Obviously this is all price dependent.

Edited by simonsays

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

I think if we continue to use 3 8s who effectively have to do everything in midfield he wouldn't be a bad option.  If buying bim means we can afford someone like Szobozlai then i wouldnt mind it.  Everyone has noticed who much worse we looked as a team when Longstaff was out and McTominay could be utilised in almost exactly the same role.  Im firmly of the belief that we should be buying players that suit the way our team plays.

I disagree - McTominay is an awful option - I want him nowhere near our team - if he isn’t good enough for Man U then he isn’t good enough for us 

McTominay, at the right price, would bring competition to the place Longstaff has. They’re pretty similar and it’s an important position for us, we’ve seen what Longstaff’s work does for us.

McTominay is pretty mobile, tall and does the donkey work. At the right price and the right position, I can see why we’d be interested. 

6 hours ago, Erikse said:

Yeah, like for example Mudryk, Sancho or Antony. That's the type of signings we need now that we're in the CL.

:iamatwat:

What have their signings got to do with us signing Gordon and potentially signing Mctominay ?

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

There's the thing. No way are Man U giving us a deal that is in any way favourable for us. And their squad players will certainly be on higher wages than ours, so that's another negative beyond the ripoff fee they will demand. I still think this is just a bollocks rumour from Twitter.

16 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

There's the thing. No way are Man U giving us a deal that is in any way favourable for us. And their squad players will certainly be on higher wages than ours, so that's another negative beyond the ripoff fee they will demand. I still think this is just a bollocks rumour from Twitter.

Don't think we will to be honest. We have to sell numerous players this summer. I don't think we'll be terribly difficult to negotiate with. 

I would expect Man Utd to be as difficult as possible with us, even if they want rid. If he is actually a main target for us they’ll drag it on through the summer and squeeze as many millions out of us as possible, they’d probably accept 30 from midtable clubs but add 10 for us because we’re a threat. He’ll end up being an expensive option in terms of money and effort. That’s my guess anyway. I just wouldn’t do business with Man Utd.

53 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

McTominay is reported to be on 50k a week. I think Man Utd would be happy to sell him to us to free up funds for someone like Rice, as well.

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

If they wanted to keep him they can do that easily enough. If they want him sold, then they will take any reasonable offer.

2 hours ago, ohmelads said:

Why would any club give us a deal that they consider favourable to us? With that mindset, might aswell never buy or sell players. There are times where a transfer benefits all sides.

Edited by Erikse

So keep me right... 

We don't believe any rumours linked  to quality players,

But we should  believe any rumour for a player we don't like

And as 99% of our transfers are out of the blue  we still need  to panic when another journalist jumps on another journalists story about another journalists rumour?

Wonder if we are selling Bruno or Big Joe to Liverpool for less money then we are buying Mctominay? 

2 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So keep me right... 

And as 99% of our transfers are out of the blue  we still need  to panic when another journalist jumps on another journalists story about another journalists rumour?

Wonder if we are selling Bruno or Big Joe to Liverpool for less money then we are buying Mctominay? 

It’s more we believe links to players who we constantly get linked with tbh. We seem to go back in for players we like from previous windows.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s more we believe links to players who we constantly get linked with tbh. We seem to go back in for players we like from previous windows.

Ok.. so according to .Com these were the players we were linked to in January.

Even the likes of Thuram have been recurring over a couple of windows.

I'm just saying no one else has a thread with such panic attached to it.. I can't even remember this progressing any further then a rumour never mind clubs talking, links, failed bids etc.

Screenshot_20230604-194351~2.png

13 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So keep me right... 

You've heard that rumour as well eh ?

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Ok.. so according to .Com these were the players we were linked to in January.

Even the likes of Thuram have been recurring over a couple of windows.

I'm just saying no one else has a thread with such panic attached to it.. I can't even remember this progressing any further then a rumour never mind clubs talking, links, failed bids etc.

Screenshot_20230604-194351~2.png

I mean that Mctominay is constantly linked by numerous journalists and has been for a while now. Much like Gordon was as well. Obviously it may not be true but the amount of links suggest we are in for him.