Aston Villa vs. Newcastle United: 15/04/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

He has like a 65% win percentage from 17 league games I think. There’s still time but to be 6 points behind Tottenham, who are competing with us for 3rd still, is pretty crazy. 

Emery’s history suggests it’s not a fluke like.

Edit:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/aston-villa-unai-emery-results-form-premier-league-table-since-appointed/

He’s basically the Spanish Eddie Howe.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Two teams on great form, I think the game will come down to a flip of a coin.  Who starts well, who gets a decision, who finishes the first chance.

The false rivalry is an irritation.  I'd rather us Brighton, Villa, Everton, Brentford etc saw the similarities in what we're all trying to achieve in breaking the premier league into a big 10.   Lots of their fans and some of ours are so obsessed.  It's easy to get drawn into it and making this a bigger game than what it is.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

Massive fan of Emery, as for Villa, great run they are on. However they do seem to give up quite a few chances so we can definitely get at them.

They are also missing Kamara, Cash and Bailey which is a boost for us particularly the first 2. Their away from is also better than their home form. We will definitely need to be better than the Brentford and west

ham games, but we can win this.

The only thing I would say about Villa is that they haven't played a genuinely decent team for 2 months (which they lost understandably to Arsenal and Man City). Their Chelsea result was good, but Chelsea are obviously shit this season 

A full week of preparation both physically, mentally as well as tactically is massive boost after 3 tough games. We need to start well and be more focused and  on our toes as we have been quite “off it” and sloppy in the first 45 against West Ham and Brentford. Tough game but it can go either way. I’d be content with a draw but I reckon we can win it comfortably too if we are on it from the off. Spurs have to play Villa away too.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Massive fan of Emery, as for Villa, great run they are on. However they do seem to give up quite a few chances so we can definitely get at them.

They are also missing Kamara, Cash and Bailey which is a boost for us particularly the first 2. Their away from is also better than their home form. We will definitely need to be better than the Brentford and west

I was reading on one of their message boards and they seemed confident of scoring but a few has mentioned they make mistakes at the back so were concerned about that. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

I was reading on one of their message boards and they seemed confident of scoring but a few has mentioned they make mistakes at the back so were concerned about that. 

Yep, a good mate of mine is a big villa fan so I have watched quite a lot of them. They seem to give up plenty of big chances a game and i would fancy isak to take advantage.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Yep, a good mate of mine is a big villa fan so I have watched quite a lot of them. They seem to give up plenty of big chances a game and i would fancy isak to take advantage.

Yeah Isak is pretty much ideal for this game I feel as Villa will come at us. Use Wilson as an option off the bench or even go with a front 3 of Isak, Wilson, Murphy or Gordon. I think he’ll want to use Wilson and/or Gordon as impact subs unless Gordon starts in this. 

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah Isak is pretty much ideal for this game I feel as Villa will come at us. Use Wilson as an option off the bench or even go with a front 3 of Isak, Wilson, Murphy or Gordon. I think he’ll want to use Wilson and/or Gordon as impact subs unless Gordon starts in this. 

Yeah it’s a big decision for Howe in terms of starting both Wilson and isak. Obviously we looked brilliant with both of them on, but then if we start both and it’s going badly we don’t have a lot of other options on the bench.

I’d rather see Isak start. However, Wilson and Mings clearly don’t like each other

and it worked in our favour last game.

I thought Wilson took the absolute piss out of him up at our place and dominated their battle from start to finish. 

Both are looking sharp and have been amongst the goals of late. So happy with either of them. 

45 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I didn’t realise Kamara is missing this. That’s massive for us. As he always impressed me whenever I saw him for them earlier this season. 

40 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The only thing I would say about Villa is that they haven't played a genuinely decent team for 2 months (which they lost understandably to Arsenal and Man City). Their Chelsea result was good, but Chelsea are obviously shit this season 

Great result for them. But the stats from the Chelsea game are daft. They scored after a defensive error, which was still a cool finish TBF and an absolute shitpinger from McGinn. Their only two shots on target. 

Chelsea had all the ball and loads of chances. Think it was like 70-30 possession and 4 times the amount of shots. But they’re just a bit crap this season and they don’t have any goal scorers. 

7 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Great result for them. But the stats from the Chelsea game are daft. They scored after a defensive error, which was still a cool finish TBF and an absolute shitpinger from McGinn. Their only two shots on target. 

Chelsea had all the ball and loads of chances. Think it was like 70-30 possession and 4 times the amount of shots. But they’re just a bit crap this season and they don’t have any goal scorers. 

That was mad, Chelsea aren't playing that bad, they just need these guys

BG2gb5qCYAATobp.jpeg.jpg

Emery is obviously a good manager, but I will always find it hard to rate him in the highest bracket after he did a U-turn on coming here. That along with how he lost respect among the Arsenal dressing room where they laughed at him behind his back makes you wonder if he has a ceiling as a manager at this level. As a result hard to believe we will lose this, just can't see him getting the better of Howe.

9 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

It just goes to show how good our recruitment are.  The two we wanted both excelling.  After Smith and Gerrard Villa's recruitment team probably just thought we must know what they're doing lets go for someone who turned them down.

And once again Villa copying our homework.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

And once again Villa copying our homework.

I think it could happen more with signings.  Some teams scouting could be who we are after.  Hopefully we do a few dummies and the ones we want realise we are committed to them. 

Think we will win this game, villa beat a very poor forest with Shelvey absolutely hopeless in midfield that day.

They will have a tougher midfield to face with us. HWTL.

Edited by prefabtoon

24 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I think it could happen more with signings.  Some teams scouting could be who we are after.  Hopefully we do a few dummies and the ones we want realise we are committed to them. 

Hopefully McTominay is the trojan horse whilst we actually sign Ugarte.

15 hours ago, madras said:

Villas good recent form has came largely against teams struggling in the bottom half (Chelsea, good result though it was may just have been top half but we know the issues they are having), their remaining games, including us, will give a better indication.

Before Man Utd I'd have been more than happy with 7 or 8 points from the 4 games, now it's looking like a maximum is more than achievable.

Also beat Man United, Spurs and Brighton (both away) though. Were also very unlucky against Arsenal.

We play better against stronger teams, but ideally away from home, where we seem to find it easier to do what Emery wants. We've also scored in every game under him.

Kamara is out, which is disappointing, but Ramsey seems to have dropped in alongside Luiz and McGinn pretty well.

This'll be 1-1.

I also reckon it'll be a good game. We're so, so much better against teams who have a go, rather than the likes of Forest who parked more than one bus last week.

Edited by brummie

14 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Bailey is shit - he's absolutely no loss.