Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

Humbled.

Forget the scoreline, that was the worst performance of the season. 

A game where shocking performances were exacerbated by Villa players being on it, and Emery pulling Howe's pants down tactically. Not necessarily a criticism of Howe because our players were truly terrible and Emery's had much bigger scalps than Howe, but it was truly a triple threat of total shit.

Watkins played very well but there were far too many speculative balls that ended up being laser-guided passes to him. Schär and Botman should be ashamed.

Bear in mind here that I know how bad Burn was, and with that in mind, this is how bad I think Schär and Botman were.

Pope: 6.5

Trippier: 4

Schär: 3

Botman: 3

Burn: 3

Bruno: 5

Joelinton: 5

Willock: 6

Murphy: 5

Isak: 5

Gordon: 4

I would have taken 5 points from these 3 away games so you take it on the chin when you've ended up with 6. I can take the scoreline, but the performance was unacceptable and as amazing as we've been this season, you have to be honest about that. It could and should have been a thrashing, similar to our thrashing of Man United.

You could make the argument that Emery has set the blueprint on how to beat us and that Eddie will take this as a valuable learning experience.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Emery won’t be at Villa long.

If he keeps this up someone like Spurs or Chelsea will give him a job, if he hits a rough patch he’ll go back to Spain.

They’re spending big. If he feels they match his ambitions he’ll be there a long time. His two poorest stints as manager have been at PSG and Arsenal. Bigger clubs with bigger ego’s don’t seem to suit him well.

Six from nine points from the three away games then! I'm happy with that. We've been completely rinsed today, but it's better to have one of these every so often than draw all the time. Well played to Villa.

As concerns, our midfield was pretty much nonexistent today. I didn't think a performance this bad was possible. We're supposed to be the energetic team incessantly buzzing about. The lack of pressure let them play easy balls into the channels all game long and show up our defenders. We're where we are on merit, so I'm sure Eddie and his staff will take notes and work on it.

We have to play Brighton and this may be good practice because the tactical bods say there are similarities.

Fair play to Villa and Emery, the greasy, smarmy git.

His setup was just better than ours and we couldn't get to grips with it.

Howe will be pissed. I have no doubt he will go back and have a look and he will be ready to better counter it next time.

Respect due. This is going to be a hell of a rivalry going forward. I cannot stand these lot.

Don't think it's a clash of the managers. Both top tier in my opinion. It's why we were after both. I would literally never give up Eddie Howe because of what he stands for and the amount of work he's had to do to get where he is. Class manager. Just nothing went right for us today: passes, players, fouls, shots. Where as it all went right for Villa. Even that last goal... Pope is right there. Just not a good day at the office. 

Tough loss today but well played by Villa. We've given out some drubbings so it's only fair we get our share. I hope this fires them up for next week for a HUGE game against spurs. 

1 minute ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Well I won 400 quid on the score line.  I had a dream we lost 3-0.  Every dream I've ever had has come true starting from when I was about 13(Newcastle beating Leicester 5-4)!  

Please dream up a win against Spurs if you would be so kind.

Just now, Nine said:

The better team won today, some of the emotional outburst will be towards Burn but the reality is NO ONE played well today. They dominated the midfield from the first minute and that’s okay, they are a good side now under Emery. 

Onto the next.

It's true you can't single out any player after that, below par right across the pitch. Just one of them games when nothing comes off.

Poor from us and good from Villa. We've barely lost all season, all teams are vulnerable to the occasional defeat. We can do better for sure, but demanding perfection and not to lose away to teams like Villa, who are doing well and 6th late in the season, is bit unrealistic and unfair.

Totally outclassed for the whole game.  For the whole of the 90 minutes, every single one of their players was better than everyone single one of our players.  I don't think that's happened before under Howe.  But hey ho, lessons need to be learn't then we forget about it and move on.

Just now, KaKa said:

Fair play to Villa and Emery, the greasy, smarmy git.

His setup was just better than ours and we couldn't get to grips with it.

Howe will be pissed. I have no doubt he will go back and have a look and he will be ready to better counter it next time.

Respect due. This is going to be a hell of a rivalry going forward. I cannot stand these lot.

Oh yes Howe will be fuming. This game will keep him up at night and he will go away and i believe never ever let it happen again. He came up against a hugely experience manager and our man is still learning. But mark my words he learns fast!!! 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Think this and Brighton away are our only two really poor performances of the season. That's pretty good going.

Great to see the usual resident bed wetters out in force at the first shit result in a while.

Brighton away was the 5-0 vs Man United compared to this.

Not a criticism of Howe to say Emery is a more accomplished coach - of course he is. Howe's done great with what he has here but we're still relying on some very mediocre players who in theory shouldn't be near the top 4. 5 wins out of 6 is brilliant.