Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

10 minutes ago, sobbytyne said:

SOB ON THE TYNE PT.3 

WHO'S YOUR NEXT MESSIAH? ANT OR DEC

3-0 TO THE VILLA BOYS GET IN :D

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND GEORDIE BOYS, NOW YOU GOTTA WATCH A WEEKEND OF FOOTY KNOWING YA LOST

CHEER UP ALAN SHEARER

WE SENT YOU DOWN, WE SENT YOU DOWN

It's like someone's asked ChatGPT for a caricature of the stereotypical Villa fan.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can get criticism of performances, it's deserved after today, but there's an element on here who seem to wait for results like this (it must have fucking killed them the last 15 months) and it's weird as fuck.

Yep. See also ASM not putting in an 8/10+ performance 

17 minutes ago, sobbytyne said:

SOB ON THE TYNE PT.3 

WHO'S YOUR NEXT MESSIAH? ANT OR DEC

3-0 TO THE VILLA BOYS GET IN :D

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND GEORDIE BOYS, NOW YOU GOTTA WATCH A WEEKEND OF FOOTY KNOWING YA LOST

CHEER UP ALAN SHEARER

WE SENT YOU DOWN, WE SENT YOU DOWN

@Rod  PSA. 

First time under Howe we’ve looked defeated the minute the ball was kicked. Odd stuff. Nothing stuck. Nothing worked. Our play was slow and generally sloppy. We had a few half ish chances and missed or Emi made the saves. Everybody was crap. Pope too. 

Villa were good, but I think today exposed cracks that have appeared in the last two games. West Ham hit the post and dominated us early and Brentford even moreso. West Ham defended like we did today and the Brentford game we did play very well second half, but it papered over the cracks. Villa exposed them.

A wake up call or a blow to morale ahead of next week? I don't think today is down to any individuals but I think now is the time to drop Burn. Fans have been calling for it for weeks but we have been grinding results. Gordon also has done himself no favours this week with his tantrum followed by an abject performance with no positional discipline. He works harder than ASM but also wanders more which I think would drive Howe mad especially away from home in a game like this. 

Most worrying thing about today was our midfield three were anonymous. Bruno, Joe and Willock. Longstaff misses sitters but he puts in a shit tonne of work that goes unseen and I think we missed his industry today. He does a lot of the dirty work that allows others to play.

Guest reefatoon

Missed watching it as was driving, so listened to it on the radio. Sounded like we hardly touched the ball, hardly heard us mentioned. Never mind, onto the next one now.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It’s easy to accept defeat when you’re comprehensively outplayed tbf. The linesmen were shambolic and on another day that would have been to story on here [emoji38]

Jist absolutely nothing I can say after that game though, it was horrific [emoji38]

Yeah, after they got the second I was over it. They just had our number today :lol:

We will need a specific setup and game plan to counter their approach next time around.

It was interesting. I think we will really need two really athletic full backs coming in this summer. Burn back to centre back full time and Trippier just cannot be played against certain types of teams, he's not up to it physically from a defensive standpoint.

I am also all in on having Bruno in the number 8 role now with less defensive responsibility. We will need an athletic DM that is better defensively that still uses the ball well.

A humbling can be very valuable. No doubt a lot of lessons will be learnt from today.

3 away games on the bounce is tough going and it seemed a game too far.

So glad burn was hooked. Worth it not to see that shite again. He's backup at CB from now on. Nothing more.

When I first saw the selection, I thought we might be in for a change of plan, with a 4-4-1-1, and Gordon having a free role around Isak. We played our usual 4-3-3, but that left a CM trio of Joelinton, Bruno and Willock. Without Longstaff, that looked a bit weak.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Shiiiiitt, watch yourself lads, he’s went full caps. He means business.

I’m actually impressed he can type and spell. Must be one of the brummie Uruk-hai. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Cronky said:

When I first saw the selection, I thought we might be in for a change of plan, with a 4-4-1-1, and Gordon having a free role around Isak. We played our usual 4-3-3, but that left a CM trio of Joelinton, Bruno and Willock. Without Longstaff, that looked a bit weak.

I’d say that’s our best midfield three, not weak at all.

We just need to move on, we have had some great results. and this result was bound to come that's football.

The important thing to remember is, this one result wont decide the top four.

lets just regroup and go for a win at home to spurs.

HWTL.

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

First time under Howe we’ve looked defeated the minute the ball was kicked. Odd stuff. Nothing stuck. Nothing worked. Our play was slow and generally sloppy. We had a few half ish chances and missed or Emi made the saves. Everybody was crap. Pope too. 

That run of three wins over 6 days we just had was a heck of an achievement at this stage of the season, considering how limited our squad still is.

In a way that really can't be discounted from a tiredness standpoint too, especially with our style of play.

39 minutes ago, Nine said:

The better team won today, some of the emotional outburst will be aimed towards Burn but the reality is NO ONE played well today. They dominated the midfield from the first minute and that’s okay, they are a good side now under Emery. 

Onto the next.

Why would anyone blame Burn, he's not picking himself to play left back which is not his position. 

6 points from the three away games is fine. We basically could get away with losing one of the games given we won the five previous. But it’s the manner of the defeat that shocked me. Really hope it doesn’t knock the teams confidence, that’s why the spurs game is crucial.