Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

57 minutes ago, christ said:

Man United aside we’ve been pretty patchy. We’ve won, but if we’re honest a result like this was coming.

Wasn't long ago I was thinking 'we're gona put a few past someone soon'... then we done west ham, away from home. 

If you've been sat around expecting us to get turned over for 90 mins off the back of recent games, I'm lost for words. 

We've started shakey a couple of times but nothing worse than that. 

To say a result like that was coming is fuckin mad, easy to say it after it's happened. 

Edited by Wilson

17 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Wasn't long ago I was thinking 'we're gona put a few past someone soon'... then we done west ham, away from home. 

If you've been sat around expecting us to get turned over for 90 mins off the back of recent games, I'm lost for words. 

To say a result like that was coming is fuckin mad, easy to say it after it's happened. 

I had us not losing a game the rest of the season. I was openly shocked watching that as no way in hell was I expecting such one sided dominance from anyone in the league apart from maybe Man City.

We got turned right over and spat right out. They had 2 men on anyone who had the ball. Space was wide open. We couldn’t put our stamp on the game at any point.

I have to say. Gordon really really doesn’t have any fire in his belly. Such a fukin shame.

I've watched the match now.

I thought we were brilliant.  I wouldn't be too worried if i were you, you are still a very decent side and in a great position.

I just think we really clicked today, and would have beaten almost anyone.

Emery is nuts. He does things that make you think, he's insane. Like Bailey out, so you think 'ah, Traore in then' and he puts Dendoncker in to add a bit of physicality in the middle, and you think "WTF, Dendoncker?" and then he does exactly that, and has a great game.

Nice to see these two clubs clearly both on the up and fighting it out at the right end of the table, rather than the years and years of awful relegation-fighting shitfests.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

I thought we were brilliant.  I wouldn't be too worried if i were you, you are still a very decent side and in a great position.

Emery is nuts. He does things that make you think, he's insane. Like Bailey out, so you think 'ah, Traore in then' and he puts Dendoncker in to add a bit of physicality in the middle, and you think "WTF, Dendoncker?" and then he does exactly that, and has a great game.

Nice to see these two clubs clearly both on the up and fighting it out at the right end of the table, rather than the years and years of awful relegation-fighting shitfests.

I was very impressed by your team today and no complaints from us. Surely that's your performance of the season although I can't say I have watched many of your games.

1 minute ago, CPL said:

I was very impressed by your team today and no complaints from us. Surely that's your performance of the season although I can't say I have watched many of your games.

I think we've put in performances which have been as impressive, except in different ways. So, say, winning at Spurs and Chelsea were both controlled performances where we were absolutely on top of what we were doing, realised we wouldn't get that many chances, and were ruthless in taking the ones we got

Today was much more on the front foot, aggressive, going for it.

9 minutes ago, brummie said:

I thought your lads were brilliant also.

I said before the game this was a harder task than manu or Brentford. When villa click they look like they could beat anyone, and so that proved today. We were played off the park and didn’t have a clue what to do about it. The Villa players and the managers technical game plan were streets ahead of ours.  Us boys took a hell of a beating. 

As someone else said during the week, the fact our owners went for Emery and Howe is pretty spectacular. Really like Emery and think he was treated like shit at Arsenal, not just by the fans but the media too. 

An absolute class tactican. 

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Just checked Sofascore and I’m amazed to see Villa had an xG of only 1.87 [emoji38]

How the fuck, I’d have thought they were over 3.0 by some distance. What were we on?

30 minutes ago, brummie said:

Too right.

I don't have any affection for Villa but nor can I be bothered manufacturing a hatred, just because some of their fans have a bee in their bonnet about us for some reason. The neutral in me is never far from the surface these days and I've loved how this season has ripped the piss out of the notion of a 'big six,' and long may it continue.

Here's to the pair of us, plus Brighton, plus whoever else fancies it, being in the race for the top positions next season as well.

43 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I always feel like I’m talking people down from the ledge on here, so this is new for me.

We’ve been our own worst enemy recently. Trying to force the issue and being sloppy in possession. A fact that’s been exacerbated by some of our defending which has been patchy as fuck.

The West Ham result flattered us, we were dog shit 45 mins versus Brentford and had our pants pulled down today. We’ve had big periods in the last three matches where we’ve made life really difficult for ourselves and today we were made to pay.

Could be fatigue, could be confidence, could be players chasing games because they realise what’s on the line.

51 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

I had us not losing a game the rest of the season. I was openly shocked watching that as no way in hell was I expecting such one sided dominance from anyone in the league apart from maybe Man City.

We got turned right over and spat right out. They had 2 men on anyone who had the ball. Space was wide open. We couldn’t put our stamp on the game at any point.

I have to say. Gordon really really doesn’t have any fire in his belly. Such a fukin shame.

If you thought we'd lose a total of 3 games all season, in the nicest possible way that's completely delusional, so that's on you really, your expectations are ludicrous.  If I could be bothered, I'd look up how many teams have lost a maximum of 3 games in the history of the Premier League, I bet it's less than 10.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

If you thought we'd lose a total of 3 games all season, in the nicest possible way that's completely delusional, so that's on you really, your expectations are ludicrous.  If I could be bothered, I'd look up how many teams have lost a maximum of 3 games in the history of the Premier League, I bet it's less than 10.

ManU 98/99

ManU 99/00

Arsenal 01/02

Arsenal 03/04

Chelsea 04/05

Chelsea 06/07

Chelsea 07/08

Arsenal 07/08

Liverpool 08/09

Chelsea 14/15

Leicester 15/16

Man City 17/18

Liverpool 18/19

Liverpool 19/20

Man City 21/22

Liverpool 21/22

Bit embarrassing, Wullie. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

That was what Rafa used to do, I used to see the team and think WTF is he doing and then when the game came it would just work.

Think at that point I was used to managers who when they did something stupid there often wasn’t good reason behind it. 

2 hours ago, brummie said:

today we were just on a mission from the kick off.  every player was on it and we seemed to pick up every 2nd ball.

i never relaxed until the 3rd went in, as was waiting for a reaction from newcastle - which has been one of their (your) hallmarks this season.   

i think you have the perfect fixture to get back on track at home to spurs.  they are on a strange spiral and can't get their act together.  think you are still well on course to secure CL position so today will be a distant memory come May (if not now already).

was at the gane today and was expecting joelinton to grab hold.of the midfield but never materialised.

ps - that @saltymag - don't actually think it's a villa fan...........if it is, we wash our hands of it.

Think most of the big saves by Pope were pretty low on xG and most of Watkins' shots seemed to go through the legs of our defenders which knocks the xG down quite a bit.

Edited by Pata