Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Forget the players man, they're decent, but it's all about Emery. Their midfield isn't better player for player than ours, but Emery has made it so that they are, he's a very good manager. 

He’s excellent, top class manager 

1 minute ago, nemtizz said:

Everyone has been utter shite but I’m sick of seeing Burn on the ball. 

I feel the same way. We are so limited down the left. Idk how he is our starting LB still. He should be our 3rd choice CB and emergency cover at LB. 

between him, Longstaff and Murphy I think we have had so many instances where the ball or move dies at their feet. We need all 3 of them to be cover and used for cup ties. I don’t know how we are 3rd with so many matches started by players like the ones listed above. I love Burn and all of the players in general but I’d HATE to be a LW playing infront of him. You have to constantly cover and help him because he’s slow as hell. He doesn’t support you moving forward. He can’t even play a simple 1-2 or a through ball. It’s terrible I’m really tired of watching him play. 

murphy has shit decision making.

Longstaff is a poor man’s McTominay..which says a lot. 

8 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Insee Gordon is the new whipping boy for when we are losing.  He's been shite, but so has everyone else

I honestly can't remember anyone on here thinking buying Gordon for 45m was a good idea. 

Just now, mighty__mag said:

Also looks like Watkins is going closer to Trippier, like he has the advantage on him, and waiting for Ramsey and others to feed off anything, it's working.

I think tactical change might be necessary, even to get back in for a draw.

Yep - it’s a clear tactic and we were falling for it first 15.  Get tight on Trippier and then turn him for pace. 

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We’ve been out worked in the middle and their pace is causing chaos in in back line. Bruno doesn’t look fit to me. I actually think we’ve missed Longstaff’s non stop running.

Agree with this, and the passing is too slow.

with regard to Gordon; when burn actually gets a pass to him it is nearly always a hospital ball.

both tripps and schar getting rinsed for pace.

if I had to make a change it would be murphy, he has been very poor apart from one cross which nearly reached isak.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Forget the players man, they're decent, but it's all about Emery. Their midfield isn't better player for player than ours, but Emery has made it so that they are, he's a very good manager. 

He’s an elite level manager definitely.

Pope and his post the only half decent performance that half. Everyone has been equally shite, done something stupid to give Villa a chance or possession back.

The good news is we can only improve on that half as it was horrific ([emoji38] iPad autocorrected).

Credit to Villa, they’ve been first to everything off the ball and ran us ragged. 

Edited by The Bonk
LOL, anything but “terrific”

1 minute ago, Away Toon said:

I honestly can't remember anyone on here thinking buying Gordon for 45m was a good idea. 

Gan on then, I’ll bite - I usually try not to.  Why the fuck do you only come on here during the game in order to try and post troll stuff?  Fucking hell man, if this game really does make you this miserable, take up another hobby. 

Howe seems to have a penchant for keeping average players in the side. Murphy came in and did a job but shouldn’t be starting every game going forward. We’ve all seen the issues with Burn the last month or so. 

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Been shit but we have sort of got back into it at times, only for the referee to hold up play for a non-foul and allow Villa to attack again.

Burn has been awful and we have not been winning the 2nd ball in the middle.

On top of that when we have had goal kicks and taken them short, we lost the ball before we got out of own 3rd of the pitch.

Willock has been ineffective, but both Bruno and Joelinton haven’t been as dominant or as fast as they usually are.

Villa will go in at half time thinking they have won this game, and we have to sort ourselves out at halftime.

If we can get a foothold into this match then I think they may fall apart, but we seriously need to up our game. We got lucky against West Ham, their defending/errors gifted us the game. Brentford didn’t really have the stamina to match us in the 2nd half. We need to make sure Villa are like Brentford and can’t match this intensity all game. There is a goal in this game for us if we want it.

Villa don’t fall apart unfortunately - in their last six games they’ve won five and drew one. If we win this it will have to be on us because there will be no gimmies here.

Still - I’ll take 6 points out of these last three away games, especially if we can bounce back and beat spurs.