Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Insee Gordon is the new whipping boy for when we are losing.  He's been shite, but so has everyone else

They have all been bad, but in the final third I feel like the other midfielders actually have been positive and getting to good positions, some smart runs. Murphy has been terrible back but forward he has actually been very decent. Gordon seems to just try to hard and the ball ends up having to be recycled right now at least. If speed and athleticism is supposed to be a thing we need to just go direct on him and Isak, use speed and just hope we can find space behind the defense at times. Cause Gordon receiving the ball in the midfield or tight out wide has not worked at all.

Relieved we got in 1-0 at half time.  Think we will be a lot better second half.

We had moments in that half but let down by some POOR decisions and the officiating has been questionable.

It seems like our players are surprised when opposition players are playing differently against them than usual.

We're a good team now and good teams like Villa are going to be hip to our groove. Emery absolutely has our number, he knows what he's doing against teams far better than ours, so we need to wise up, be sharper to it, and step it up.

That being said, it's tactical changes that are most needed here so it'll be interesting to see what Howe and Tindall do, and how Emery counters our moves.

The positive from that half is that it's only 1-0 and that they're maybe a little bit too pleased with themselves. 

The negatives are obviously that it could have been 2 or 3 and that even when we improved, their chances were much more obvious and dangerous than ours.

Big changes needed, but more tactical than anything imo. The game is still there for us to take.

1 minute ago, andycap said:

People banging on about gordon man 😂 they're all playing poorly our main men have been poor. Bruno trips schar. 

Agreed - Bruno has been worse than Gordon for me but the young’un is getting a slating.  I used to sit next a bloke at the match like that - would pick on ‘easy’ targets.  

As I feared before the match, they're doing an us circa last season to us. There's a lot wrong with us here, everyone is half a step off.

Murphy has shown some of his best and worst. I suspect he's got the 'best' parts out of the way though and is mainly gonna psych himself out now without changes from Howe.

1 minute ago, Pixelphish said:

I hope you're right Kaks. Seems like a bit of a perfect storm out there. Ref buying absolutely everything is infuriating.

Don't think Villa have looked especially great defensively. We just need to be a bit better in our build up play and we'll open them up I think.

Whole back 4 have been really poor. Cannot live with Watkins in the air on his pace. 

Midfield getting over run and poor decision making up front. 

Need to revert to that 2nd half formation from last week. Get Wilson in up top. Drop Isak into the hole and Hook Gordon as Murphy looks abit brighter than him today. 

Need to up the sharpness though, been 2nd best. 

They do throw themselves to the ground at the slightest hint of contact. 

Linesman and ref have been proper homers so far.

Also looks like Watkins is going closer to Trippier, like he has the advantage on him, and waiting for Ramsey and others to feed off anything, it's working.

I think tactical change might be necessary, even to get back in for a draw.