Newcastle United vs. Arsenal: 07/05/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

We've started so badly in the last few games and always seem to give the opposition a great chance in the first minute. I can see Aresnal being one up in the first 5 minutes and then we'll wake up.

It tends to occur a lot more away from home. We usually come out the blocks pretty sharpish at SJP.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It tends to occur a lot more away from home. We usually come out the blocks pretty sharpish at SJP.

The moments that stick in my mind have been at home. Southampton just recently being a prime example but it happened against Man U also and Wolves if I remember rightly. All had big chances within 1 or 2 minutes of KO.

45 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

IMG_0116.thumb.jpeg.99190d0969e7976e2e4ff2b5d7de5225.jpeg

more shithousery!! 

Enjoyable shithousery sentiments but also that poster has an avatar and name from one of my favourite computer games of all time, Suikoden 2. I’m a fan 

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

The moments that stick in my mind have been at home. Southampton just recently being a prime example but it happened against Man U also and Wolves if I remember rightly. All had big chances within 1 or 2 minutes of KO.

I can't recall Man united having any clear chances in their game. The only one v one I can remember from Wolves is the penalty shout against Pope. You could be right though knowing my memory. 

35 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Still amazes me that away fans don't realise or know that it's like that because of the way the ground is configured. When L7 was built in 2000 the plan was always to put away fans up there. Where they were in the 90s in the northeast corner is too small, 1700ish, when the PL makes clubs oblige to have 3000 away fans unless the ground has a capacity of less than 30k, in which away fans get 10% of the capacity. If they moved away fans into the lower bowl of SJP you'd have home and away fans using the same turnstiles and exits unless we reconfigured the ground's layout.

Either way, why the hell should away fans be accommodated for? Obviously there shouldn't ever be bother or owt like that but playing away should be intimidating and any minute advantages you can get, ie putting typically vocal away fans miles away, should be par for the course imo.

To be fair, Premier Leagues rules dictate away fans must be pitch side. For the reasons you explained above we have an exemption. 

1 minute ago, Greg said:

To be fair, Premier Leagues rules dictate away fans must be pitch side. For the reasons you explained above we have an exemption. 

Was aware but just don't understand why the rule exists.

I'm honestly surprised the Premier League hasn't forced the issue. It's a valid complaint for away fans and if Newcastle fans got stuck at the top of Old Trafford or the Emirates there would surely be complaints.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Was aware but just don't understand why the rule exists.

The theory is to improve the atmosphere - given a lot of PL grounds are like libraries. 

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I'm honestly surprised the Premier League hasn't forced the issue. It's a valid complaint for away fans and if Newcastle fans got stuck at the top of Old Trafford or the Emirates there would surely be complaints.

I wouldn't personally, we put them up there for an advantage. Should be entitled to, its our ground. Same for other clubs.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

they probably will force the issue when we expand the stadium, no excuses then, tbh.

stick them in the east stand, and let us tower over them from all sides :lol:

If we expand the Gallowgate to mirror the Leazes then I don't see how they could tbh. 

The club doesn’t have the final say over where away fans are put (although I’m sure they have an input). Ultimately it’s down to the local SAG.

This game I just want out of the way, and I wished we played it in midweek.

It’s the game left that we have that we are most likely to lose in, I’m not saying that we will or think that we will, but I just want to be past not knowing what result is and move onto our other games.

Arsenal are not the side that we played earlier in the season, nor are they the side they were a month ago to be honest. They got a win in midweek but that was against a Chelsea team in free fall, and I don’t think it counts for much.

Any of the possible results are realistic for this game, I’m not confident and I guess I also dread that we will lose it, because then that may allow nerves to get in, at least amongst the fan base.

Right now I can’t call it, and to be honest that may actually form a basis of an argument that this could be a draw, and I would snatch your hand off for that right now.

With our remaining fixtures, I know we’ll probably get at least 6 points, and I think we are good for 9, and could achieve all 12.

I just want this Arsenal game over, and hopefully have at least a point in the bag, because if we get that, it’s difficult to see us slipping up.

6 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

IMG_0116.thumb.jpeg.99190d0969e7976e2e4ff2b5d7de5225.jpeg

I honestly don’t know why we get so much stick for away fans being placed in level 7. It’s a great view from up there to be honest, aye ok it looks fucking shit on a camera phone, but in person it’s a great view.

If you are complaining about the stairs, then get the lift, which away fans are made aware of. If you have been before and know how many stairs there is, then it’s on you for sitting in the pub and getting fucked before you go up them be honest.

Edited by Stifler

The more I think about it.......

Pope

Trippier   Schar    Botman    Burn 

Bruno 

Willock               Joelinton 

Murphy                                       Isak

Wilson

The main argument I've seen against this, is the idea that we won't have anyone to impact things from the bench but we may have; Longstaff (frees up Joelinton or Willock), ASM, Gordon and Miggy.

We could quite easily switch to something like this in the second half if we are chasing things:

Bruno      Longstaff 

Miggy             Isak             Joelinton 

Wilson

Re the away fans being in level 7. Boo fucking hoo, it’s much better up there than say Palace away where you can see fuck all if you’re at the back, the Emirates where the away end is shite for making a decent racket or Wolves where it’s the same.