Newcastle United vs. Arsenal: 07/05/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

I think we’ve had 1 clean sheet in the last 15 matches.

I’d very much like us to return to our former defensive fortitude.

The Geordie catenaccio. I miss us just shutting teams out.

8 hours ago, Northerngimp said:

3-3, classic KK ding dong of a match. 

An Arsenal friend of mine thinks 5-7 goals in this one and I’m inclined to agree. Really could be one of those games. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I think we’ve had 1 clean sheet in the last 15 matches.

I’d very much like us to return to our former defensive fortitude.

The Geordie catenaccio. I miss us just shutting teams out.

Yet we still have the best goals-against record  (27) in the league, with only Man City (30) anywhere close.  Next best are Chelsea (38) and Arsenal (39).

6 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

Yet we still have the best goals-against record  (27) in the league, with only Man City (30) anywhere close.  Next best are Chelsea (38) and Arsenal (39).

I think we had 12 clean sheets out of 20 prem games. 

That’s remarkable and the bedrock for our success and fantastic goal difference.

We’ve been leaky for a few months now. We’ve also been smashing a few teams so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. 

I’d rather win 3-0 than 4-1 though, etc etc. 

It’s just quite clear we’ve become prone to conceding the odd goal (or routed by Villa). Don’t know if it’s fatigue, bit of poor form or we’ve been sussed a bit. Still…

Alot of the goals we have conceded have been against the run of play/counter attack goals or consolations. Its not ideal but its not the same being genuinely poor.

Arsenal conceded 3 at home to Southampton, just for context. City conceded at Fulham, at the weekend.

Our slightly leakier defence has coincided with us scoring goals for fun and going on a winning run. It's about balance. There was definitely a spell where safety first was coming before our attacking fluidity and costing us points with draws.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Our slightly leakier defence has coincided with us scoring goals for fun and going on a winning run. It's about balance. There was definitely a spell where safety first was coming before our attacking fluidity and costing us points with draws.

Definitely think after the Man City game Howe released the shackles somewhat, I think that run of clean-sheets ended up being a bit of noose around our necks, but since that point we don't seem as concerned with conceding as we know we're good for a goal.

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

Definitely think after the Man City game Howe released the shackles somewhat, I think that run of clean-sheets ended up being a bit of noose around our necks, but since that point we don't seem as concerned with conceding as we know we're good for a goal.

It's not even that, we got some players back and actually started to take our chances again.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Alot of the goals we have conceded have been against the run of play/counter attack goals or consolations. Its not ideal but its not the same being genuinely poor.

Arsenal conceded 3 at home to Southampton, just for context. City conceded at Fulham, at the weekend.

We’ve been definitively become more susceptible to the counter. Credible threats, very good chances and goals. 
Think we need to be a bit more savvy about over committing . Tricky balance.

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

A lot of our the goals against us have come from a players mistake or miss marking.

Yep. The ones that stick in my memory were two individual errors and back post no one on the line at corners. Wish we would stick someone on the back post more.

Whatever happens Sunday we’re back and we’re only going to get better and the whole league knows it and is probably shitting it. On a side note we’ve always wanted these

blockbuster 4.30pm Sunday kick offs back and the league is better for it too.

During the lean spell earlier this year, we were over performing defensively but underperforming offensively, we're seeing that balance out now.

Individual errors errors there have been some trends to the goals we've conceded:

Tripper has been caught napping a few times. There's been goals v West Ham, Bournemouth and Southampton where he's let his man ghost in goal-side. 

Liverpool, Brentford, Spurs have all opened and exploited a gap between Trippier and Schar. With Schar being pulled out wide and either overcommitting or getting done for pace.

You've also had Pope making the wrong call from set pieces a couple of times. 

For all of the criticism of Burn, sides do tend target our right hand side. It's not a criticism of Trippier, but the way we play with him being one of, if not our biggest attacking outlet means there will always space to exploit when the opposition transitions. It's why we could really do with some recovery pace being brought into that back four. 

I hope Longstaff is fit, definitely brings more balance to the midfield and allows the Willock-Joelinton dovetail on the left.

If he doesn't make it, it'll be interesting to see how we line up. I guess it'll be Willock in the middle and either Gordon or Isak wide left. Given the success Man City had, I wonder if Eddie is tempted to be a bit more direct for this one. 

See the premier league plan on doing something for the coronation in the weekend games.  Will be gutted if our fans cheer etc.  Least Liverpool  will do the right thing.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I hope Longstaff is fit, definitely brings more balance to the midfield and allows the Willock-Joelinton dovetail on the left.

If he doesn't make it, it'll be interesting to see how we line up. I guess it'll be Willock in the middle and either Gordon or Isak wide left. Given the success Man City had, I wonder if Eddie is tempted to be a bit more direct for this one. 

Be interesting to see how we approach it tactically, these have the players to get at us like Villa, Brighton or Liverpool if we go with our usual style. Not sure what Howe will do to negate that but having longstaff in would help.

Depending on Longstaff's fitness:

Pope

Trippier   Schär   Botman   Burn

Longstaff   Guimarães   Willock

Murphy  Isak  Joelinton

or

Pope

Trippier   Schär   Botman   Burn

Willock   Guimarães   Joelinton

Murphy   Wilson   Isak

?

Feels like an absolutely massive game. As the American's would say - PRIME TIME! 16:30, Bank Holiday Sunday, (hopefully) going to be sunny, a pissed-up St James' baying for blood.

2nd vs 3rd, both teams good on the eye. A lot riding on it for both. Lots of global attention. Huge.

The type of game we could only dream of on the 6th October 2021.

Fucking come on Newcastle. Hopefully rains when we're 3-0 up so we can see Arteta's hair dye spill down his face.