Newcastle United vs. Arsenal: 07/05/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

44 minutes ago, LV said:

Fuck me, Madley on VAR

They are really going all out to fuck us.

I know it’s not his style but maybe Eddie should mention it like other managers would. 

I’ve said it before but we are going to need a dominant performance as any decision is going there way 

8 hours ago, Mazzy said:

The reason not to, is wtf do you then do if that doesn't work? What's the Plan B?

The beauty of starting just one of them is you can change it if it's not working.

It's been working out for us the last few weeks so I don't see the need to change it now. Only if Longstaff is out would I consider starting them both.

Plan B would be to sub out Wilson for Murphy/Almiron/Gordon then let Isak get the centre forward role.

Not starting our best players so that we have the option to put them on sounds strange to me. 

I get that the rotations have worked out lately, but against Arsenal we should put out our a team from the get-go.

It'll be close, but I think we win it based on Howe being a smarter manager than Arteta. Unless they blow us away early and grab a few goals, if we're drawing or losing narrowly at half-time I'd bet on Howe making the changes to turn it around and grab a draw/win, and Arteta not having the ability to adapt to the changes.

5 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Aren’t we rewriting the trends now! :indi:

Already completed this level against West Ham the other week :)

Newcastle are marginal favorites for this game with home advantage likely playing a part in their odds of 6/4.

Arsenal are currently slight underdogs and can be bet at odds of 8/5 while the draw is currently priced at 5/2

HWTL.

2 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Confident of a good performance but may not be enough if they're at their best. Feel like this game would have been 1000x harder if West Ham held out for another 45 minutes tonight.

If we’re at our best, our defensive record alone negates them. We have Cal and Isak taking the piss, Maxi and Longy hopefully back, and Wor flags and home support. We don’t need to win for CL they do for the title. Bring it 🥊🥊

11 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Confident of a good performance but may not be enough if they're at their best. 

If they are at their best, and we are at our best . . . WE WIN !!!

Edited by manorpark

Last week felt exhausting. Great, massively exciting and adrenaline-filled, but exhausting. I thought i'd be happy to have a quiet week till Sunday but fuck that, I need Sunday to get here so I can feel the high again and hopefully we have 3 more to celebrate. It's torture watching Liverpool steal points and close the gap.

When’s the last time this Arsenal team won a big game? 

- City x2 this season lost 7-2 on aggregate and also lost to them in the FA Cup

- Europa League knockouts they are in a great position second leg at home and go out on penalties.

- They give away a 2-0 lead at Anfield a month ago. 

- Last year at SJP four days after getting demolished by Spurs in a massive North London derby. 

- Lost 2-0 at home to go out of the League Cup semis to Liverpool last season. 

- Europa League semis in 2021 they need a single goal at home and can’t get it. 

I guess you could count the derbies this season, but Spurs are a mess. On the whole Arteta’s Arsenal has not been a team that rises to the occasion. 

Didn't know Maxi was in with a shout, but yeah, fingers crossed he'll be able to take some part.

Maxi is likely our third choice at striker now, so his return may also ease concerns about no backup if Wilson and Isak play together. They're both on red hot form and have combined nicely in the short bursts we've seen of them together.

Just on the "no backup issue" but I suspect Joelinton could do much more at striker now than when he was played there. He shoots with new-found confidence and has five in 16 (1450 minutes) since the World Cup. 

When Arsenal are good they are very good so we need to be at our best, especially defensively. I think we are stronger up front, Jesus I don't rate at all and never did. His strongest point is getting his eyebrows to point to the sky

Newcastle at home                         Arsenal away

P16 W10-D5-L1                               P17 W11-D3-L3

Newcastle form                               Arsenal form

Newcastle 3-1 Southampton         Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea

Everton 1-4 Newcastle                   Man City 4-1 Arsenal

Newcastle 6-1 Spurs                      Arsenal 3-3 Southampton

Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle             West Ham 2-2 Arsenal

Brentford 1-2 Newcastle                Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal

Newcastle v top half at home       Arsenal away to top half

P7 W5-D1-L1                                  P8 W5-D1-L2

Edited by The Prophet

Tough game to call, we will need to be better defensively than against Southampton in the first half.

Longstaff back in and Joeltinton back wide left should help, but southampton got in a few times down the wing so coming up against Saka and Martinelli/Trossard is a concern.

We should also cause them problems, even more so if Gabriel is missing. I think they might just have to much for us going forward and expecting a narrow loss.

Although I think it'll be a very different game to the Emirates, they absolutely carved through our press in the opening 20 minutes. We looked far better when we fell into a mid-block and crowded the passing lines from Partey and Odegaard.

City absolutely battered Arsenal by being a bit more direct too. They effectively went 4-4-1-1 with KdB playing in a free role behind Haaland and it totally threw them. Obviously we don't have that quality of player, but I wonder if we go about this one a bit differently. 

I still fancy a high scoring draw.