Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

Fuck our fans woke up at half time. Thought they left for the past 30 minutes.

We were absolutely deflated by the goal and lost all energy. Midfield went to pieces. Just need to be much sharper. Burn and Bruno amongst others causing our own problems. Joe needs to be wise they are going down under any pressure from him. 

We still have these if we can take it back up a level. The fans have to bring it too even though there hasn't been much to cheer after conceding. Easy to say from my armchair thousands of miles away!

So we literally play out 3 of the 5 minutes added on by Arsenal being on the deck and whinging like kids and we get no extra time added on.

Honestly man, our players need to push Jesus away when he’s preventing the free kicks from being taken. When Ramsdale hold on to the ball for ages we need to be jumping around in front of the referee for him holding it for too long.

Anyone on the bench/coaching staff who wants to spark Xhaka out?

Sky saying we are lucky not to be more than 1 goal down. Honestly man we have had just as many good chances as they have. If we were level no one could complain. We have not been as bad as some have made us out to be, ok we have been nowhere near our best, but have still created really good chances that should have been put away.

Edited by Stifler

Arsenal have been good. Helped them getting the goal but they've settled and probably should have had a second to be honest.

I understand intensity being our identity and all that but I think we've taken it too far here. We've looked sloppy, wreckless and lacking in control with out play. It feels like we're a second away from another Liverpool (H) moment of madness from one player that ends the contest.

Edited by ponsaelius

Good half overall.

Sign of the progress within a single season that we've made. The away leg we were clinging on to a draw.

This game it's very even between two good sides. We definitely still feel very open on the counter.

The goal was really disappointing. My footballing pet hate is not closing down players on the edge of the box.

Isak feels a bit wasted and marooned out on the left against this quality of opposition. Not like he can really link up with Burn on the overlap either.

Need to stay defensively sharp and switched on. Think we will score, but not sure we won't concede again at this rate.

Professional performance that by Arsenal.  Pope kept us in that at the death.  We’ve played well - the only big issue is that we keep making some daft errors in possession. 

I’m not convinced re Isak on the left.  Just feels like a complete waste - he has to come so deep to receive the ball due to Burn being a bit unsure how to play as an attacking LB and Joelinton isn’t at his best on the right of midfield.

Still well in this though, plenty of time yet to get back in it.  HTL

Just now, worthy said:

Could have been 3 goals for both sides, like. And if Murphy dialed in his crosses my god. Three players always waiting and then it just ends up sloppy. Arsenal is there for the taking we just need to fucking snatch it. And honestly, when Xhaka went down playacting I wouldnt play the ball back to the fuckers, I would just attack. Fuck Fair Play bullshit.

They’ve had more clear cut chances than us by 2-3 imo.  It could have been 2-4. 

Pope just made up for the goal. Almost conceded because we were too busy talking and getting chippy tackles in. 

Very unlucky not to score and if we can get the next goal I think we can go and win this. 

The worst case scenario for this game is no longer losing though. It’s losing an important player for the next few games. Need to keep our heads.

Bruno had a really poor half. Willock played some quality balls in but his missed chance was the worst miss of the half. Isak has been quality but not able to dictate the game enough on the left. Jow has been his usual self but hasn’t been able to dictate the game physically as well as usual because of how good Arsenal are. Murphy’s been fairly bright but I’d love it if we had a right wing option that was more of a direct threat in taking people on 

Need Eddie to sort out the mentality a bit too. We're unusually frantic. We're missing a bit of composure in the midfield. That's one of the few downsides with Joe and Bruno, both guys are easily riled up. Need a Jorginho type to just settle us down. We've got goals in us but we're second best so far.

Just now, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

They’ve had more clear cut chances than us by 2-3 imo.  It could have been 2-4. 

Oh for sure, I agree. But damn, cant fault our effort, execution leaves a bit to desire though :lol:

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Arsenal have been good. Helped them getting the goal but they've settled and probably should have had a second to be honest.

I understand intensity being our identity and all that but I think we've taken it too far here. We've looked sloppy, wreckless and lacking in control with out play. It feels like we're a second away from another Liverpool (H) moment of madness from one player that ends the contest.

We also could have easily scored a few times from playing that way as well tbf.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

They have been the better side after the opening minutes and their extra quality is showing 

Not wrong. It’s the little moments (with big implications) from Murphy and Willock. Good players, but perhaps a ‘punching’ a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Pen bullshit killed our early momentum. 

Apart from its existence it’s probably my main gripe with VAR. If something gets overturned after a while it massively swings the pendulum unnaturally.

Could easily be two or more, so not a bad result in the end. Started well but ceded control and allowed a number of great chances. 

Eddie will sort them, settle it down and then have a go with Maxi. Arsenal collapsed second half at Anfield, so this is not over.