Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Didn't think we deserved to lose but we definitely didn't deserve to win and they edged it on balance. The post that says we played well and poorly in different phases is bang on.

Thought we made a few really key errors.

4. Dawdling at the back. Generally, we seemed to make decisions today at snail's pace all over the park, maybe as they were so quick to press on mistakes and we started panicking. They triggered press well and attacked quickly after turnovers.

Yep, I was saying the same thing to the lad next to me, it was quite noticeable.

Fine margins. Feel like if Murphy's shot goes in, they would have collapsed and we would have been comfortable. Frustrating goals to concede. First shot wasn't even that powerful, weirdly shit from Pope not to get to that. Think the lads will bounce back right away and stuff Leeds. Fuck the Allardyce factor, he's shit, they're shit, and we're still class. Even if it didn't happen today.

4 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Fine margins. Feel like if Murphy's shot goes in, they would have collapsed and we would have been comfortable. Frustrating goals to concede. First shot wasn't even that powerful, weirdly shit from Pope not to get to that. Think the lads will bounce back right away and stuff Leeds. Fuck the Allardyce factor, he's shit, they're shit, and we're still class. Even if it didn't happen today.

OldfashionedInsignificantGrouse-max-1mb.

19 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I thought Jesus was unbelievable with his pressing from the front.

Probably Giggs, but his calming Joelinton down was nice to see too. Same with Isak's peptalk to Willock.

Fair play to Arteta,  they did a job on us. Eddie must be fucking terrified that he’s facing a proper football genius in Allardyce next. 

I thought it was very noticeable that they broke up play, went down and stayed down, little set to's that disrupted us. They never let us get up some steam or rhythm, tbf it was a good gameplan, but our own poor finishing stopped us countering it.

Strange as it may seem, that's a good thing. We can learn from it, and how far have we come that they resorted to spoiling the game whenever we had the ball.

Executed their plan to perfection, was never gona be the end of the world getting beat today. 

Few chances missed, hit the post, great save from Ramsdale, another day we come away with something. 

We weren't particularly bad although they did seem to have too much space in the middle, fuck it. 

On to the next. 

Meh.

In a tight game they got the bounce. The first goal was huge for them as they then sat off and made the most of the talent advantage. We couldn’t play through them, and had to manage the risk of a quick breakaway. 

They executed their plan perfectly, but I can also see why a side like City put them away quite easily. We were a fraction from having an early goal ourselves, and who knows what happens from there. 

We saw the limitations of some today, but in truth, when you’ve come as far as we have in 12 months you’d be mad to be anything but excited for the next game and the chance to put it right.

24 minutes ago, madras said:

First Goal was huge. I'm waiting for her to go to bed so I can check the pen.

Aye it wasn't great to concede that, it wasn't anything spectacular and at the time I felt Pope had plenty of time to get across, but it shouldn't have even got that far. 

About the pen, kid next to me had a message off his mate saying 'it's came off his leg'.  fuck knows how he gets a signal in there btw. 

I don't think I'll even watch any highlights back to check what happened, just want to move on to the next. 

19 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Night and day between him and Arteta et al like.

He touches on things like 'you want the ball in play', but doesn't use it as an excuse.  If that's the likes of Arteta, Klopp etc on the receiving end of a home defeat, they lash out at the time wasting/shit housing and use it as an excuse. 

Love the bloke. 

Guest reefatoon
41 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just watched the highlights back, definitely wasn’t a pen imo although I maintain liverpool would have been awarded it.

After watching it again with that view from behind the player, I’m now thinking it might have been a pen. The way his arm shook after the ball hit him for me shows it did hit his arm. Harder to tell from the front view they went with.

2 hours ago, Teslact said:

Probably Giggs, but his calming Joelinton down was nice to see too. Same with Isak's peptalk to Willock.

Thanks for reminding me. Great bit of leadership there from him.

5 hours ago, Memphis said:

Just a bit worried about our mentality now. Troubling that we have underperformed in two of our biggest games. We lack a bit of composure and we could absolutely do with an experienced pro in the #6 position to calm us. Jorginho and Casemiro have run the shop against us in those huge games. We need someone similar.

Man United 2-0?

Tottenham 6-1?

And plenty more besides... They're just not being remembered as big in this moment because we ultimately won them comfortably.

Don't disagree with you about signings, though.