Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

15 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Need to throw everything at this game, win this and we get Champions League. 

Lets not take anything for granted. It would be very old school Newcastle to win this comfortably, then slip on the Leicester banana peel. 

It's such a shame Longstaff is out as he'd have been a huge help nullifying Estupinan & Mitoma on our right side. Miggy will have to work very hard assuming he is the starter here.

Really can't wait for this now. The mood - even though it's not low or owt like that - will be lifted so much if we win. Could even knock the stuffing out of Liverpool a bit too.

5 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Concerned about this game. Brighton on a good day can absolutely go toe to toe with anyone, they haven't been as consistent as us is all in why we are where we are in table, they dropped more points from shocking performances such as the Everton game, whereas we have managed to grind out draws often when not at our best. 

Basically all to say this feels a polarized one. I think the team is tired, Longstaff out is huge blow, Bruno a shadow of himself with injury, they have pushed so hard with intensity all season I am not going to be mad at them at running out of steam, they have achieved more than anticipated of them, it is not a deep squad yet. If Brighton turn up full of confidence I worry they could hurt us, if they aren't at their best we could turn them over. Not sure. 

Brighton has played one game more than us the last few weeks, this is their 8th game in 33 days. Amongst those is the 120 minute semi final vs Manchester United. They also have more injuries than us. Aren't they also supposed to be tired?

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

Brighton has played one game more than us the last few weeks, this is their 8th game in 33 days. Amongst those is the 120 minute semi final vs United. They also have far more injuries than us. Aren't they also supposed to be tired?

In fairness our high intensity style is likely to mean our players are feeling it a bit more at this stage.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Has De Zebri kept Caicedo at RB the last few games ? Would help us if he’s not in midfield.

I'd definitely be playing ASM for this regardless, but this would cement my view. Even on his off days, teams are scared of him and often opens up space elsewhere. A makeshift RB will be shitting it, regardless of your view on ASM's consistency. His most recent injury was bad timing as he was starting to play really well I thought.

I'd play him left and Isak through the middle, starting Wilson against Leicester.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I'd definitely be playing ASM for this regardless, but this would cement my view. Even on his off days, teams are scared of him and often opens up space elsewhere. A makeshift RB will be shitting it, regardless of your view on ASM's consistency. His most recent injury was bad timing as he was starting to play really well I thought.

I'd play him left and Isak through the middle, starting Wilson against Leicester.

Aye, if it's not Caicedo, it'll be Gross. Neither are natural defenders. 

6 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Aye, our lads are really starting to look knackered/leggy. 

It hasn’t been helped either that all 4 of our CM choices have played pretty much every game they have been available for. Obviously after the summer window we should be able to rotate much better.

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Brighton has played one game more than us the last few weeks, this is their 8th game in 33 days. Amongst those is the 120 minute semi final vs United. They also have more injuries than us. Aren't they also supposed to be tired?

:serious:

Big examination of Howe this one and his ability to be flexible for a one-off game. There's a possibility we're all slightly overrating Brighton on here based on Sunday but no question they're a very fine side, dangerous on the flanks through the excellent Mitoma (who concerns me a lot), quality big lad up front in Ferguson (or Welbeck) but also very fluid centrally. I've noticed Caicedo operates as a real enforcer, he impressed me a lot on Sunday, Gross also does an excellent tactical job in there and Macallister is a superb player who can shoot from anywhere. They've even got quality at the back in Dunk (one of the most underrated CBs in the league) and Estupinan, who makes the sale of Cucurella for 63m even funnier, he was brilliant on Sunday. 

Howe will know better than anyone what to do here. Apparently the way to beat a team like Brighton is to defend narrow, not press their CBs and counter from a low block. I've read that a few times and it makes sense. I don't know if we have that setup in our locker but I trust Howe to tweak our game plan enough to get a result. There's no way he didn't learn from the game in August, the recent Villa game, or Sunday's stunner. Under the lights at home, I really do think we've got it in us but we'll have to be very very good on the night and the fans need to play their part.

In a nutshell, i've waffled and should have just said "Trust Eddie and Howay the fucking lads!!!"

If you ignore the 10 defeats in the league already for them this season, we're up against a team that's unbeaten this season.

That's a tough test for anyone. 

Edited by TBG

Why don't we just do like Liverpool? Trippier in the middle![emoji38] Or even better, Fabian Schär as a nr. 6.:pimp: On a more serious note I really miss Joe at the left wing. Any chance Anderson might be up for the task? Or is that too much of an ask.. Even signing McTominay in january instead of Gordon could've been massive, he could've filled this Longstaff role now that he's injured. Maybe not as good, but would've helped the balance of the team. Not sure if Man Utd really wanted to sell a squad played in january though, especially to a top 4 rival.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Why don't we just do like Liverpool? Trippier in the middle![emoji38] Or even better, Fabian Schär as a nr. 6.:pimp: On a more serious note I really miss Joe at the left wing. Any chance Anderson might be up for the task? Or is that too much of an ask.. Even signing McTominay in january instead of Gordon could've been massive, he could've filled this Longstaff role now that he's injured. Maybe not as good, but would've helped the balance of the team. Not sure if Man Utd really wanted to sell a squad played in january though, especially to a top 4 rival.

So much to digest in there 😛