Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Yorkie said:

It's class, this. Really wouldn't have it any other way. Can barely get Thursday out of my head. Compare this to my frame of mind during the Bruce years and the latter Pardew years, where I either couldn't give a monkeys or was actively rooting against us - against a backdrop of general misery and depression... it's just epic. 

Aye, whenever I start feeling too nervous or stressed about the run-in I keep reminding myself that we are guaranteed Europa League next season at least. Even at the start of this season if you told me that I'd have been amazed. Compared to the past 10+ years where it's just felt like a slog, I'd take this feeling any day of the week. 

As we saw with the difference between the Villa and Spurs match, just because something wasn't working at the end of one game, doesn't mean that will continue at the start of the next, because unlike with Bruce we're not just going to "go again" and hope it's magically better, we have a manager and a coaching team who will have looked closely at what went wrong last time and will have been working hard behind the scenes for how to address it.  That's not to say it'll work, but the fact you know it can is a cause for optimism.  Won't know if I'm confident or not until we're like 10 minutes in.

40 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He leads our press and makes Bruno look better. He's vital I think.

I'm surprised we haven't been able to get anyone else to replicate his role tbh. Joelinton would have been the obvious choice, but he seems to be prone to diving into tackles more than Longstaff would be.

33 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I know it won't happen but Burn benched, Targett in and ASM starting would give me more confidence. I doubt he'll drop Burn against his old side though

Aye when we were keeping clean sheets you could understand the persistence with Burn. But now he’s giving us no defensive solidity, and still offers nothing going forward.

44 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He leads our press and makes Bruno look better. He's vital I think.

Another thing we’ve missed is his ability to find space and offer other players an easy ball to keep things moving. It’s most obvious at the moment with Bruno because he’s getting caught in possession, but earlier in the season he was absolutely pivotal to that little Trippier-Miggy overlap routine we had on the right that proved so fruitful. He was always available to play a little one touch pass to either of them so they could get on their bike.

How I wish this was a Friday night game. Hopefully the atmosphere is just as bouncing.

Very difficult game and as others have said, not a great match up for us in terms of styles. Longstaff will be a huge miss but there's absolutely no reason why we can't win.

If we start like we did in our 'big' home games then we will win, but their tactics will all be around managing the first 20 and keeping the crowd out of the game.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we won 3-0, lost 0-3 or anything in between. The week is fucking dragging, I know that much!

Trying to work out what those games are.

Norwich

Man Utd

Everton

Wolves 

Palace

Arsenal

Everton

Bournemouth (LC)

Palace (LC)

Leicester (LC)

Southampton (LC)

He's not counted 17:30s which would be 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool respectively. 

I assume they're talking about 7.30PM-8.00PM slot. Would the draws not be Norwich and Man United from last season?

I have Norwich, Man United, Everton (x2), Wolves, Palace, Arsenal, then I'm struggling for the other two.