Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Helps mentally vs a defeat

Yeah, never said it wasn't risky, a defeat would be damaging to morale for sure. Not sure Howe has it in him to just play a cagey patient game. It's going to be a very interesting and nerve-shredding experience.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Helps mentally vs a defeat

Aye, and would put is in prime position to capitalize on any potential Liverpool slip (unlikely I know) at the weekend and get mathematically over the line v Leicester still. 

If only we had a crystal ball to know what other teams might end up doing. Can't see Liverpool dropping anything now, they'll get what they need vs Villa by hook or by crook (more crook than hook I bet). We have to do it ourselves, nobody is helping us. I stopped worrying what Liverpool were going to do when Jota scored that goal against Spurs. It became obvious that day.

As good as Villa have been under Emery I just don't see Liverpool not winning their last game of the season at Anfield. More so if we give them incentive by dropping points tomorrow.

Win tomorrow and its there for us. But it has to be a win, anything less and I just can't see us doing it unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

A draw doesn't do us much good. I think we might as well go for it and risk losing, as opposed to playing it safe. I don't think playing safe is in Howe's blood though anyway.

There is a school of thought that the best path to a win is to play it safe though. Don't leave too much space in front of the defence, let them come on to us, then hit them when they have too many players pushed forward.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

There is a school of thought that the best path to a win is to play it safe though. Don't leave too much space in front of the defence, let them come on to us, then hit them when they have too many players pushed forward.

ASM, Willock, Isak, Gordon & Miggy. We have plenty of pace :indi:

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

It's just going around in my head. "Longstaff. Pressing. Press resistance. Space in behind Trippier. Space in behind period. Danny Welbeck might be stronger and faster than Schar and Botman. Ah I reckon Howe starts ASM or Joe LW. Maybe pressing can work with real intensity."

Can't wait until the game is over. I was always looking past this fixture too. 

I know the feeling :thup: Can't wait for it myself.

They basically play a 2-4-4 formation in build up with no striker. They pass the ball between their defenders whilst the the two central forwards draw out the opponent centre backs and then the wide forwards make diagonal runs in behind them. 

Feel like there's two ways to approach this. We either sit off them, let their defenders pass the ball about until they play the ball forwards and hope we can win it and counter. Or we press them like fuck and force errors. I feel like we're more likely to try the latter so I'd go with our best pressers:

Pope

Trippier - Schar - Botman - Burn

Bruno

Anderson - Willock

Almiron - Isak - Joelinton

Anderson is in there out of necessity really. He's our only fit midfield option if we want to play the Willock/Joelinton left hand side that we know understands the press best. I actually think Anderson has looked really good when he's come off the bench too so kind of deserves a shot at some point. Howe trusted him to start against Liverpool but Pope ruined that. 

If we play on the counter then ASM has to play. He'll exploit the fuck out of them only playing two defenders in build up. 

Edited by Smal

Guest reefatoon

Wish I wasn’t off tomorrow, gonna be a looooonnngggg day.

mr-bean-waiting.gif

Edited by reefatoon

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Rare bit of genuine ITK here, but had it confirmed to me that this ref categorically is a Liverpool fan. 

He is from the Wirral, Howe was asked about it today but the press officer stepped in.