Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

10 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

I’m confused to why people think Anderson could do a job in midfield, I’m not sure he’s proved himself in that position yet? Too much of a risk. Same with schar in midfield, complete non starter.

Right now starting Joelinton in midfield is looking risky too if I'm honest. Hasn't been working out lately.

And here we are, shitting it because Murph and Longy are out. Who’d have thunk it? We’ve still got the players to do this! The crowd really need to make a difference. We know they can. Let’s hope they bring the noise to carry the lads over the line. United!  :indi:

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

sigh

fucking incredible!

who would have said 3 months ago that going into a must win game without murphy and sean meant we were missing 2 of most important form players.

both would have started for me had they been fit.

7 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Right now starting Joelinton in midfield is looking risky too if I'm honest. Hasn't been working out lately.

Joelinton doesn't work in the deeper '6' role where he started out V Leeds. Still fine in that LCM role I'd say. 

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Because he's been playing on the right ?

34 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

I’m confused to why people think Anderson could do a job in midfield, I’m not sure he’s proved himself in that position yet? Too much of a risk. Same with schar in midfield, complete non starter.

He hasn’t (Anderson). But i don’t like how the midfield has been operating and I’ve liked the Joe’s down the left. 

If we had another genuine CM option I would say them.  Think Anderson started the Liverpool game in midfield iirc.  Bad omen? Maybe. 

I’ve ran the Shelvey discussion into the ground. But I said it when we sold him.  We needed his warm body and decent ability on a good day.  Or someone else in that position. I think I said it could cost us Europe and I was wrong. It could end up costing us the CL or risked it.  He did decent at DM last season.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Good thing about being in Europe is that we will get a proper squad. Even if it’s older players on 2 year contracts. We can’t go into another season with 4 CM options for 3/4 positions. Crazy decision. 

Did we not go into the season with 6 options? Willock, Bruno, Longstaff, Joelinton, Anderson (rightly or wrongly Howe viewed him as a CM) & Shelvey?

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Good thing about being in Europe is that we will get a proper squad. Even if it’s older players on 2 year contracts. We can’t go into another season with 4 CM options for 3/4 positions. Crazy decision. 

I wish we just bought a CM squad player in january. Didn't necessarily need to be an expensive starter. We were linked to McTominay and some people were upset about it. I think we could've found someone for around £20 mill which could've helped us a lot in the case of injuries.

Edited by Erikse

9 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I wish we just bought a CM squad player in january. Didn't necessarily need to be an expensive starter. We were linked to McTominay and some people were upset about it. I think we could've found someone for around £20 mill which could've helped us a lot in the case of injuries.

At that point, I think the club was expecting more Europa or Conference league next season at best. It was deemed not worth investing in January for that - which I kinda understand or at least has logic behind it. Finishing 6th (in the Europa) or 9th doesn't change much FFP-wise. And then we would go again in the summer for priority targets.

Turns out we've had an amazing run to CL. If that was the expectation in January and it was felt we needed CM cover to secure it, I reckon they would've kept Shelvey or got in a body. 

9 minutes ago, KDT said:

Did we not go into the season with 6 options? Willock, Bruno, Longstaff, Joelinton, Anderson (rightly or wrongly Howe viewed him as a CM) & Shelvey?

I count 5 with Shelvey. Anderson was never pushing to start and would be loaned in ideal circumstances.

The aim on Jan 31st was still just to do better than last season. Which is why they didn't strengthen CM. Had they thought we would be here in May - we would've signed a purple.

Edited by The College Dropout

Yup... horrible feeling this is going to be a tough slog without Longstaff again, a clearly struggling Bruno and Big Jow in a less familiar position. 

Isn't ideal. 

Edited by Wilson

On 16/05/2023 at 08:41, Wallsendmag said:

I'm sure it'll already have been mentioned on this thread but we have a truly abysmal record in the PL v these. I remember beating them at home last season when we went 2-0 up early on but other than that I'm struggling.

Feels like the curse of nicking the Championship trophy off them on the last day of the season (… partly thanks to Jack Grealish.).

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Feels like the curse of nicking the Championship trophy off them on the last day of the season (… partly thanks to Jack Grealish.).

ironically, it could be villa again helping us out.

so we could finally forgive them and have closure about the relegattion shannanigans.

I think we're going to do these you know. Think it will be more comfortable than we all think.

Just think it'll be like the Spurs, Man Utd and the cup games against Leicester & Southampton. I understand Brighton pose a much greater threat than arguably all of them, but the feeling I have is very similar to all of them; we will win mainly due to the stakes and how the crowd will be. I understand the atmosphere tailed off in the Southampton game, but we started all of them games so fast feeding off of the energy the crowd provided.

Not sure if it's the mackems losing that's giving me confidence but I just have a feeling we will win by at least a couple of goals. 

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I think we're going to do these you know. Think it will be more comfortable than we all think.

Just think it'll be like the Spurs, Man Utd and the cup games against Leicester & Southampton. I understand Brighton pose a much greater threat than arguably all of them, but the feeling I have is very similar to all of them; we will win mainly due to the stakes and how the crowd will be. I understand the atmosphere tailed off in the Southampton game, but we started all of them games so fast feeding off of the energy the crowd provided.

Not sure if it's the mackems losing that's giving me confidence but I just have a feeling we will win by at least a couple of goals. 

:indi: crowd to bring the noise! 

8 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Brighton have been amazing lately. So an unexpected, comfortable 3-0 home win is gonna happen to calm us all down a little. 

Big Joe masterclass 

They haven’t like. 

They’ve been doing what they’ve done for some time. Play well. Sometimes results are great.  Sometimes results are bad.  Good but unpredictable team. 

As Eddie says, Longstaff gives us balance in midfield. I don't think that it's his individual brilliance that we miss because he does spurn quiet a few decent chances. Schar played on midfield in an international and he was dreadful so I don't see that being tried. I believe that Bruno was exceptional until quite recently and it was a large part of our success but now he seems to be struggling and it's really hurting us

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m certain we start with plan A. I just hope we quickly revert if it’s not working and avoid conceding early. 

Will post variants of this tweet nonstop til tomorrow btw. So get used to it. 

:lol: fair enough

19 minutes ago, 80 said:

:lol: fair enough

It's just going around in my head. "Longstaff. Pressing. Press resistance. Space in behind Trippier. Space in behind period. Danny Welbeck might be stronger and faster than Schar and Botman. Ah I reckon Howe starts ASM or Joe LW. Maybe pressing can work with real intensity."

Can't wait until the game is over. I was always looking past this fixture too.