Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

33 minutes ago, huss9 said:

somewhat strangely, the mackems defeat has cheered me up no end and i feel more confident for thursday night!

It's felt like the first result in a while that's gone well between ourselves, Liverpool and the mackems.

Let's hope the tide has turned! 

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know it's crunch time, but for me I think this is a bit of a litmus test at a new level for Howe at Newcastle.

Our main style of playing plays right into Brighton's hands and it's probably better if we sit back and hit them on the break (like we did at home last season)

We have a much more ingrained pressing style now though, so I hope we're able to do it. Howe has almost never been naive imo, but Spurs away last season sticks in my mind as suicidal. Spurs were really good at that time, at letting teams press them, then fucking them up on the break, even beating Man City in that way. So when we went and did the same thing Man City did and got smashed 5-1, it was truly bizarre.

It's been a while since we've sat back and played on the break, the best example of it working probably being Man City at home, so we know Howe and we have it in our locker, and Howe's record against Brighton is very good (played 18, won 10, drawn 5, lost 3)

Our crowd will also be urging us forward, so I also hope we have some patience and understand that possession or pressing isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Honestly feels like one of those games where we need to keep our shape and wait for the openings in this one for that reason, it's how Brighton have been beaten in recent games. The last thing we need is to press too far up the pitch and leave our defence vulnerable to the counter like we did against Liverpool, although that was more a long ball catching us out, but same principle applies. I think this is a game where we have to stay patient and take the game deep if we have to, then use the subs wisely to find the winner.

8 hours ago, huss9 said:

somewhat strangely, the mackems defeat has cheered me up no end and i feel more confident for thursday night!

Same for me, utterly illogical of course, but if the turds getting beat makes some of our fans more confident then that can only be a good thing.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

?

I’d be tempted to play Anderson RCM to allow Joelinton and Willock to return to the left.  Or even Schar RCM and Burn CB.  Not ideal, like.  

Schar at RCM is a non-starter, he would be so far off the pressing/intensity levels needed in that position. I have feeling it will be ASM at LW and Joe at LCM, Bruno at 6 and Willock LCM. 

Longstaff out is a blow, but Everton showed they can be got at. Have to hope we’re on our game and they see some drop off after the result against Arsenal. Team vs team it’s very tight 

Just got my tickets through that I won in the Sky VIP ballot, and they are in the Milburn Platinum Club. Not bad for nowt! 

Picking my Son up from Teesside Uni tonight (for his summer break) and he's going with me tomorrow. :indi:

Trippier will need protection against Mitoma’s speed. Gordon is quick but he’d need to be very disciplined. 

Big game for Bruno and Big Jo, we absolutely need to control the midfield.

38 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Schar at RCM is a non-starter, he would be so far off the pressing/intensity levels needed in that position. I have feeling it will be ASM at LW and Joe at LCM, Bruno at 6 and Willock LCM. 

You’re right, but even with him DCM and Bruno moved to RCM.  Willock-Bruno-Joelinton just doesn’t look like it works for me.  It’s a midfield which is porous defensively  

1 minute ago, black_n_white said:

I’m confused to why people think Anderson could do a job in midfield, I’m not sure he’s proved himself in that position yet? Too much of a risk. Same with schar in midfield, complete non starter.

Schar has played midfield before.  Not saying it’s a great option.  

We're going to need several players to really step up, including Bruno and Joelinton. Which I firmly believe they will. Gordon and ASM (if involved) have to be direct and ruthless. We can beat them, but it'll take more than one goal, I reckon.