Disco

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

What a season. 

Get to a cup final: done. 
Secure European football: done. 
top 6 finish: done. 

but the story ain’t done yet. 

HTL!

That’s my fucking boy right there. Hell yeah. 

Eddie Howe's side have now scored 31 goals away from SJP in the PL, matching their 1993/94* total. That's only exceeded by the 34 netted in 2001/02.

The draw took them on to 31 points gained on the road this season (eight wins and seven draws)

Avoiding defeat here means that Newcastle will set a new club record for the lowest number of away losses in the PL. Ahead of the visit to Chelsea, they've been beaten three times (Liverpool, Manchester City and Aston Villa) - the previous lowest total was five; a figure recorded in 1996/97, 2001/02 and 2003/04. 

United will also equal the record or set a new one for their lowest number of defeats in a top flight season: with three games to play they've lost five times - their best return is eight, in 1995/96, 1996/97 and 2003/04.

The Magpies have scored 63 PL goals, their highest total since recording that in the 2002/03 season. 

Fully deserved. I've been loving these bits of statistical context in .com's post-match reports. Makes such a change from us plumbing new depths week-on-week. :lol:

I'm buzzing with either comp (although there's no denying CL would be one helluva ride for us!)

I hope even the most reactive of supporters in the match threads can come back to this and realise how fantastic it has been overall.

I pinch myself when I look at the table and it's mid-may and we are third ffs, just mind boggling!

I've never done a European away day so will try my damnedest to get it in next season!

I did post this a while back and everyone went mad, so I’ll post it again….

On 10/04/2023 at 21:38, SteV said:

Chat starting to permeate through other threads. Granted, not there yet, but getting closer and closer to the return of some form of European football back at SJP.

Sure there’s loads of helpful sites that we’ve all been resigned to having no relevance to us in recent times, so let’s get them all shared as and when required.

I do remember the below site being the nuts for all your coefficient needs from the last time we qualified:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/index.html

And just because, here’s the details of next seasons finals:

CL - Sat 01/06/24 - Wembley Stadium, London

EL - Wed 22/05/24 - Aviva Stadium, Dublin

ECL - Wed 29/05/24 - TBC May 23

Edited by SteV

Both outcomes to this season are fine are as far as I'm concerned... While Champions League football feels more "exciting" and will help attract better players, we'd almost certainly be an also-ran, and I can't help but feel Europa League may actually be better in a way, in that we would actually be one of the favourites to win it. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Both outcomes to this season are fine are as far as I'm concerned... While Champions League football feels more "exciting" and will help attract better players, we'd almost certainly be an also-ran, and I can't help but feel Europa League may actually be better in a way, in that we would actually be one of the favourites to win it. 

Finish 3rd in Champs league group and drop into Europa. Wins all round.

So excited at the prospect of being back in Europe.

Many of my most vivid Newcastle memories are of us in Europe. One of (if not the) earliest of all was the Barca Tino game and my dad bouncing off the walls. Thinking about it, that was probably a really formative moment in becoming a fan: my primitive brain equating 'Newcastle good' with 'life good' and that's job done - it's in the identity now. A childhood comprised of staring at Teletext.

Looking at the fixture lists from around the time, there's no match before that one that I have any memory of in any way. 

I can remember being heartbroken when Partizan Belgrade knocked us out of the CWC; David Batty giving away a daft pen and Ketsbaia missing a sitter in the second leg. 

2002/03 was obviously amazing and the Champions League was generally just so much better when it was on ITV, for me. It felt so much more accessible, shared and less 'exclusive' than it does now, hidden behind expensive subscriptions.  

Like or loathe any of them, Brian Moore, Jon Champion and particularly Clive Tyldesley are iconic voices and take you back to those times. Champion obviously being our man with his tremendous commentary during those Feyenoord and Inter games. 

Have really good memories of the Waffa journeys between 2003-07. Some great results and obviously the worst heartache of all among them: sneaking past Mateja Kezman's PSV, winning 4-0 in France, hammering Olympiacos, Steven Taylor vs Celta Vigo, Le Sib vs Fenerbahce, Luque vs Palermo... all great nights. On the other hand; Marseille, Lisbon and Alkmaar arguably comprise the top three most painful occasions of all for me. 

2012/13 had its moments as well. I even got to take in the Metalist home leg from the press seats as part of a uni experience, and had the chance to grill Pards in the post-match presser, but we've all got regrets. Benfica was a good effort but in reality we were never good enough to win that tournament that year, whereas in the mid-noughties you really felt like we could do.

Can't wait to be back there and make more memories. 

Lisbon in the QF remains the biggest surrender ive ever seen from a Newcastle side. 2-0 up on aggregate and an away goal with them needing to score 3 with just just over 45 minutes to go. They scored 4. They got to the final and played CSKA Moscow ffs. That was our chance. Absolutely pathetic stuff.

AZ wasnt much better but we were a worse team on paper. 

Brugge was a legendary trip. Excited for Europe more than anyway connected with this club. 

All but a handful of my favourite NUFC matches were European ones.  I love watching us play in Europe - it is incredibly special, and the rarity value of the opposition sticks in the mind.  Teams you've seen only on TV or know through being football daft - from giants to relative minnows - every single one is exciting to me.  Playing CSKA Sofia or Ferencvaros is still more exciting to me than Crystal Palace or Watford in the PL.

I get irritated by the modern fan who sneers at these tournaments; the worst being when you hear them talking like fucking accountants 'we should just play the reserves and get knocked out, it isn't worth it financially' etc, somehow losing the point that this is the reward for their team finishing high up the table the year before.  Talksport punters are good for this one.  Get fucked you tiresome twats.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Lisbon in the QF remains the biggest surrender ive ever seen from a Newcastle side. 2-0 up on aggregate and an away goal with them needing to score 3 with just just over 45 minutes to go. They scored 4.

Was a horrendous week that. 

Done 3 Europa League trips in 2012/13. Can't wait to be back in Europe.

Understand that it's cost permitting but those who can who haven't before, I can't recommend doing a European away enough. It's very special.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All but a handful of my favourite NUFC matches were European ones.  I love watching us play in Europe - it is incredibly special, and the rarity value of the opposition sticks in the mind.  Teams you've seen only on TV or know through being football daft - from giants to relative minnows - every single one is exciting to me.  Playing CSKA Sofia or Ferencvaros is still more exciting to me than Crystal Palace or Watford in the PL.

I get irritated by the modern fan who sneers at these tournaments; the worst being when you hear them talking like fucking accountants 'we should just play the reserves and get knocked out, it isn't worth it financially' etc, somehow losing the point that this is the reward for their team finishing high up the table the year before.  Talksport punters are good for this one.  Get fucked you tiresome twats.

Really agree with you on everything you've been saying in this and other threads about this sort of thing. The variety is arguably the greatest thing about the non-CL European tournaments. 

16 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Was a horrendous week that. 

Done 3 Europa League trips in 2012/13. Can't wait to be back in Europe.

Understand that it's cost permitting but those who can who haven't before, I can't recommend doing a European away enough. It's very special.

Likewise.  I did big Champions League aways - Inter, Barcelona, Feyenoord, Juve etc - and even Intertoto (Lokeren - now there was an entertaining away day).  All were fantastic.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Really agree with you on everything you've been saying in this and other threads about this sort of thing. The variety is arguably the greatest thing about the non-CL European tournaments. 

Yeah, it is fantastic - I'd encourage anyone on here to really try and get to an away day in Europe next season if they can.  Don't worry if it doesn't turn out to be the 'big one' - any European game is an adventure and will stick in the mind forever.

3 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Funnily enough, the away game vs Barcelona that season is probably the only disappointing Euro away day I've had.  Terrible weather, shit game between two poor teams, empty stadium with neither side likely to qualify.  Barcelona the second time was great though (result of course less so, but it is Barca in the Nou Camp ...)

23 hours ago, SteV said:

I did post this a while back and everyone went mad, so I’ll post it again….

Cheers SteV, have hoyed that link in the OP.

European away day is on my NUFC bucket list. Though, assume it's highly unlikely me actually getting a ticket :lol: . Personally, love the Europa league for the reasons said above: variety of teams and accessbility. I too long for the days of the CL being available on ITV, I haven't watched a CL game in absolute ages. We're back in Europe, and this time, it's different. The club wants to go places, unlike when we got there with Pardew. Exciting times ahead, no matter what happens in these last 3 games.

38 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

European away day is on my NUFC bucket list. Though, assume it's highly unlikely me actually getting a ticket :lol: . Personally, love the Europa league for the reasons said above: variety of teams and accessbility. I too long for the days of the CL being available on ITV, I haven't watched a CL game in absolute ages. We're back in Europe, and this time, it's different. The club wants to go places, unlike when we got there with Pardew. Exciting times ahead, no matter what happens in these last 3 games.

Fuck it, just go anyway (I say at the risk of upsetting any police spotters that lurk on here.)

The trip, camaraderie and the beers are the best part of most European trips.

The maddest thing about that Barca match at the time was the shock for me. At the height of the Keegan years it would have still been amazing, but it happening under Dalglish when we were shit and had just lost at home to Wimbledon was nuts.