Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

20 minutes ago, madras said:

Quite pleased. Have a little liking for Antwerp after our re-entry into Europe under Keegan and their fans were canny in the bars considering they were 5-0 down fr9m their home leg. I know folk that went to the game over there and we seem to have been well received.

Those matches were one of my earliest memories of Newcastle United as I would have not even been 8. Pretty sure one of the ties was on TV (probably the away 5-0). The home 3-2 leg against Bilbao in the next round definitely was, although I can remember frequently checking teletext / ceefax in the away leg where we lost 1-0.

Surprised it's been nearly 70 years since they won the league as it's obviously a relatively huge city there.. Anderlecht and now Club Brugge have kind of taken over these past 15 years or so, but the likes of Gent, Genk (2) and Standard (2) have won it in reasonable recent memory. Lierse too, but that was a bit further back because they were the reigning champs on the old classic Championship Manager 97 game.

Just watched highlights of Inter 2-2 Newcastle and I forgot how bad these cunts actually were. The highlights alone show at least 3 clear red cards (these days for sure) for inter and then they were also chucking themselves all over the shop. Probably a game Newcastle should have won by 3 clear goals but their cunt tactics salvaged a result.

I also remember the Juventus game away which was similar, losing all respect for del piero who cheated twice and scored from both situations. Also a very dubious call for offside with a beautiful Shearer header even though Dyer was clearly heading backwards from an offside position. 

Just imagining Joelinton losing his shit over that kind of shithousery

1 minute ago, Mr Pups said:

Just watched highlights of Inter 2-2 Newcastle and I forgot how bad these cunts actually were. The highlights alone show at least 3 clear red cards (these days for sure) for inter and then they were also chucking themselves all over the shop. Probably a game Newcastle should have won by 3 clear goals but their cunt tactics salvaged a result.

I also remember the Juventus game away which was similar, losing all respect for del piero who cheated twice and scored from both situations. Also a very dubious call for offside with a beautiful Shearer header even though Dyer was clearly heading backwards from an offside position. 

Found the highlights of the home leg as well recently. We had a ton of chances and could have easily got something even with 10 for the majority of the game. 

8 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

I'm pretty sure the linseman admitted that goal  v Juve should've been given and/or apologized. 

Edited by Superior Acuña

Watched the other Barcelona home game from the Inter CL campaign on an Austrian CL show. Battered them. If Bellamy could kick we'd have won that too.

Have to admit it took me by surprise.

Just remember Kluivert getting clapped off and Sir Bobby shouting "well played" at the end.

33 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Watched the other Barcelona home game from the Inter CL campaign on an Austrian CL show. Battered them. If Bellamy could kick we'd have won that too.

Have to admit it took me by surprise.

Just remember Kluivert getting clapped off and Sir Bobby shouting "well played" at the end.

Aye, it was just a bit of rawness and naivety that stopped us making the last 8 at least that season. 

17 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

The ref was atrocious that game. I've got a vivid memory of Ollie Bernard making a fantastic diving challenge and it getting pulled up for foul. 

1 hour ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Completely random - but not sure if anyone's seen that the final will be on 1st June 2024 at Wembley Stadium, not a million miles to travel if we got to the final.

Europa League Final is in Dublin. That’s where I’ll be booking my flights ?

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Europa League Final is in Dublin. That’s where I’ll be booking my flights ?

Man Utd doing well to have home advantage for the final of either competition 

On 05/06/2023 at 15:45, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Completely random - but not sure if anyone's seen that the final will be on 1st June 2024 at Wembley Stadium, not a million miles to travel if we got to the final.

A week after the FA Cup final. I'll probably just stay down for the week??

Took me ages to get my head around this. Rangers and Braga are seeded, but have to enter a round earlier than Marseille and PSV, who are not seeded ?B3CD6D13-295D-49E7-AA26-64C872090D6C.thumb.jpeg.26565abd3d1edd4655ea6967f6098bae.jpeg

edit - actually they don’t enter a round earlier, I’m talking rubbish. Good job we don’t have to go through all this

Edited by SteV

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

Took me ages to get my head around this. Rangers and Braga are seeded, but have to enter a round earlier than Marseille and PSV, who are not seeded ?B3CD6D13-295D-49E7-AA26-64C872090D6C.thumb.jpeg.26565abd3d1edd4655ea6967f6098bae.jpeg

Rangers aren’t making it through unless they sign some decent players this summer.

Ludogorets win their 12th straight Bulgarian title, 1 point ahead of CSKA Sofia, to take the final CL qualifying spot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League_qualifying_phase_and_play-off_round

Preliminary draw on Tuesday, which sounds crazy early - obviously that's the absolute minnows, the champs of San Marino, Andorra, Iceland, and Montenegro, one of which will make it through to the first qualifying rounds. I don't know anything about the Montenegrin league, but I thought it might have been considered better than the Gibraltar, Faroe, Malta, or Luxembourg leagues. Iceland too, to a lesser extent.

Edited by Paullow

14 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Ludogorets win their 12th straight Bulgarian title, 1 point ahead of CSKA Sofia, to take the final CL qualifying spot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League_qualifying_phase_and_play-off_round

Preliminary draw on Tuesday, which sounds crazy early - obviously that's the absolute minnows, the champs of San Marino, Andorra, Iceland, and Montenegro, one of which will make it through to the first qualifying rounds. I don't know anything about the Montenegrin league, but I thought it might have been considered better than the Gibraltar, Faroe, Malta, or Luxembourg leagues. Iceland too, to a lesser extent.

I like your dedication to the cause! For Montenegro, maybe it's just a coefficient thing as they're still a relatively fresh independent country on the scene (Serbia & Montenegro only separated in the early 2000s if my memory serves me well) so the Serbian league would most likely have inherited the points so Montenegro would have started from scratch. You're right though, I'd have thought they'd be better placed but maybe they will in time. Could be similar for Kosovo too, albeit in slightly less smooth circumstances. 

1 minute ago, number37 said:

I like your dedication to the cause! For Montenegro, maybe it's just a coefficient thing as they're still a relatively fresh independent country on the scene (Serbia & Montenegro only separated in the early 2000s if my memory serves me well) so the Serbian league would most likely have inherited the points so Montenegro would have started from scratch. You're right though, I'd have thought they'd be better placed but maybe they will in time. Could be similar for Kosovo too, albeit in slightly less smooth circumstances. 

Oh, don't worry, I'll be vigorously bumping this thread throughout June and July :lol:

Aye, that will likely be a factor, although the mighty Football Club Ballkani of Kosova don't enter until the next round.

Budnocost were the best Montenegrin team in Yugoslavia but their highest ever finish was 6th and they bounced up and down between the top two divisions. Montenegro as a country is pretty small, similar in population to Luxembourg.

While the quality of footballer which comes out of the Balkans is very high compared to population, this probably doesn't lead to a better quality of league in the modern game.

9 minutes ago, NSG said:

20/1, 8th favourites to win the CL next season :lol: 

Where at? Can't find any odds anywhere.

Edit - just found them on SkyBet.

Edited by Paullow