Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

16 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

How about the 40m Lyon were willing to pay for him, or the 35m Brighton ended up paying for him, whilst we can’t find anyone to offer even half that for the two you mention?

Look, Minteh is the real deal and unless he gets seriously injured and can’t recover  he’ll be at a bigger club for an eyewatering fee in a few years time. He’ll be the one that got away. Better get used to that notion.

He's good, but he's still raw. And the real deal? Nah, not yet for me.

The board was smart to use his stats to get a good transfer fee, but he's not worth 35 million at his current level. Arda Güler went for 30 million euros , and he's far a better player. The 40 million from Lyon puts him in the same category as Vinicius Junior, but he's nowhere near that level.

I'm still not sure about him. But I hope he does well.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I understand.

But I'm still starting him ahead of the two of them.

I'm sorry, but I'm just fed up with starting Murphy and Almiron, but that's just my personal feeling.

With Trippier now out of the first 11, not having a winger on that side that takes people on is going to be infuriating.

Minteh was poor overall today. But I really liked how direct he was, and how he never let up going at Dalot.

If he'd played like today last week for us, I bet this thread would be saying he could do with another loan move and that we still need an RW. 

If we did a "combined XI" of Brighton and us, I'd pick Joao Pedro left, Gordon right.

We have a perfectly fine LW alternative to Gordon on our books in Barnes.

1 minute ago, tarie4 said:

He's good, but he's still raw. And the real deal? Nah, not yet for me.

The board was smart to use his stats to get a good transfer fee, but he's not worth 35 million at his current level. Arda Güler went for 30 million euros , and he's far a better player. The 40 million from Lyon puts him in the same category as Vinicius Junior, but he's nowhere near that level.

I'm still not sure about him. But I hope he does well.

Real Madrid paid that for Vini when he was 14. Arda Guler had a release clause.

Look at the price for other wingers - it was neither a good price or a bad price but market value.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I understand.

But I'm still starting him ahead of the two of them.

I'm sorry, but I'm just fed up with starting Murphy and Almiron, but that's just my personal feeling.

With Trippier now out of the first 11, not having a winger on that side that takes people on is going to be infuriating.

Minteh was poor overall today. But I really liked how direct he was, and how he never let up going at Dalot.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Last season in the EPL, Murphy had 7 assists and 3 goals in 21 games. That means he was involved in a goal every 2 games. So, I don't think the stats support your argument. I agree that he could be upgraded, but saying Miniteh is ahead of him is a bit of a stretch. Even if we didn't sell Miniteh, I'd still want the club to buy a starting right winger.

Just now, Zero said:

Interesting. My Man Utd mate is saying Dalot got terrorised the whole game and ask me why letting such a prospect gone.

This is just his 2nd EPL game. 20 years old. If you can’t see how talented he is, you got a problem.

I can understand why he's said that.

He never let up pressing defensively or taking him on all game.

Dalot got the better of him, but he had to work that game.

Mitoma on the other side got the assist, but Mazraoui had a much easier time during the 90.

I think i've mentioned it before, but personally I've always felt that £35M for someone who has had one semi-decent season in a non top 5 league after getting him for £6m a year prior, is really good business. If he becomes a top player is moot to be honest, you can only look at the deal at the time of it happening, and at the time it was great business.

3 minutes ago, Menace said:

Real Madrid paid that for Vini when he was 14. Arda Guler had a release clause.

Look at the price for other wingers - it was neither a good price or a bad price but market value.

16 my good man. 

Madrid paid above the reported release clause.

Loath to add to the post count in here but it only becomes a bad decision if he turns out to be genuinely world class for years. People posting extreme takes on either side at the moment are pointless

Just now, 54 said:

I think i've mentioned it before, but personally I've always felt that £35M for someone who has had one semi-decent season in a non top 5 league after getting him for £6m a year prior, is really good business. If he becomes a top player is moot to be honest, you can only look at the deal at the time of it happening, and at the time it was great business.

This thread isn’t for reasonable, well thought through opinions anymore 54. Keep up [emoji38]

Just now, tarie4 said:

Yeah, I get what you mean. Last season in the EPL, Murphy had 7 assists and 3 goals in 21 games. That means he was involved in a goal every 2 games. So, I don't think the stats support your argument. I agree that he could be upgraded, but saying Miniteh is ahead of him is a bit of a stretch. Even if we didn't sell Miniteh, I'd still want the club to buy a starting right winger.

I hear you.

I'm on record saying Murphy should start ahead of Almiron, so I get it. 

To Murphy's credit he has recognised not to try to do too much on the ball and just whip balls in when he has space to. And that has caused problems.

However, progressing the ball down the pitch on that side continues to be a problem, and build up down that side remains largely unconvincing, and tends to break down. And overall that is causing the team more harm than good.

6 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

16 my good man. 

Madrid paid above the reported release clause.

Aye to beat Barca to the signing - so the Arda comparison in this instance was lazy

Just now, Menace said:

Aye to beat Barca to the signing - so the Arda comparison in this instance was lazy

I think you are missing my point there my good sir.

50 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

He looks like he has zero football IQ and little end product. I think this could have been great business for us. 

Reminds me a lot of Leicesters Fatawu, he’d kill

the championship but needs a lot of growth to be effective in this league 

41 minutes ago, Zero said:

Interesting. My Man Utd mate is saying Dalot got terrorised the whole game and ask me why letting such a prospect gone.

This is just his 2nd EPL game. 20 years old. If you can’t see how talented he is, you got a problem.

Is your Man United mate you by any chance? Dalot ate him alive. He was never troubled by him. 

He is very direct though, clear he'll be a decent player, but £35m still seems like a great sale to me. 

2 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Didn't watch the game, honest appraisal of how he played?

From a neutral, he was very direct, always looking to take his man on but he was rarely if ever successful. Felt like there was quite a few misplaced passes when he was trying to play in behind. Dalot is a very good player so it's not the end of the world not getting the better of him. 

He still seems very raw. He's no Miggy.

Edited by Froggy

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Is your Man United mate you by any chance? Dalot ate him alive. He was never troubled by him. 

He is very direct though, clear he'll be a decent player, but £35m still seems like a great sale to me. 

No, they are much more trustworthy than you anyway.

37 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I hear you.

I'm on record saying Murphy should start ahead of Almiron, so I get it. 

To Murphy's credit he has recognised not to try to do too much on the ball and just whip balls in when he has space to. And that has caused problems.

However, progressing the ball down the pitch on that side continues to be a problem, and build up down that side remains largely unconvincing, and tends to break down. And overall that is causing the team more harm than good.

Yes, his end product is pretty decent. It's the beginning and middle which he struggles with. I like Murphy, but I don't think many people realise what a difference a really quality RW would make to us - in defence as much as anything, through retained possession, threat and turning periodic spells of dominance into actual leads without having to throw our kitchen sink.

3 hours ago, Zero said:

He was direct. But ‘terrorised’?! Nonsense. What game was he watching? 

Think he got by him once and he won a corner. Other than that, Dalot did a very good job on him and was often isolated 1 v 1. With Minteh almost always making or being pushed into the wrong decision. Most the time just taking too long to do anything. Dalot had him in his pocket. Whilst still managing to help out in attack at times. 

He was promising in ways and I wish we could have kept hold of him based on what I have seen. But what were the FFP alternatives? Sell Joelinton? Gordon? Bruno…..?!

Surely someone who’s never played for us being sold for a good profit and someone who was a bit positionless and not a first team regular was the better option. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I didn’t see any of the highlights of Brighton’s first game last week but I came away from watching this one thinking that he is going to be an exciting player when he gets bedded in to the league. Every time he gets the ball you can hear the roar from Brighton fans urging him forward.

Ten Hag deserves credit for how they set up to defend against Brighton as by defending deep there was never any space for Minteh or Mitoma to get in behind the fullbacks, so they were left to try and beat them in tight spaces which Delot did really well in.

He has quite a lot of similarities to Gordon when running at players, as well as out of possession in terms of work rate.

Some have said about him giving away possession with stray passes but I thought he made some good attempts at through balls that his team mates were not on his wavelength to yet, which will come the more they play together.

Joe Cole was praising him after the game for how direct he was and his pressing game.

Good luck to the lad and I hope it works out for him, we need to move on from what could have been and that will be helped when the club sorts the position out.