Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

He was alright, still raw, he'll probably turn into a decent player but the furore on here about him is insane.  Great at points, you can see a good player in him but we need get to get past this nonsense as we had to sell someone.  If it wasn't him, it would have been Bruno, Isak or Gordon.  We tried to get Almiron to go to Saudi Arabia but he wouldn't and I don't hold that against him.  Either he was sold, we sold one of our best first-team players or we got deducted points.  You can say that's a mistake but we are buying players like him for exactly this reason.  That's how the top clubs stay within FFP.  Buy young players then sell them, some come into the first team a lot don't.  We are very early in our journey and yes I would have liked to see him but I don't think he would have been the answer for this season for RW anyway.  Maybe next season he would but he's gone.  We will see a lot of this as we grow.  Hopefully, though we sell 2/3 and retain 1/2.

5 hours ago, 54 said:

I think i've mentioned it before, but personally I've always felt that £35M for someone who has had one semi-decent season in a non top 5 league after getting him for £6m a year prior, is really good business. If he becomes a top player is moot to be honest, you can only look at the deal at the time of it happening, and at the time it was great business.

People are also really underrating the position it left us in that we didn't have to sell any of the purples. Like how many teams ever can finish outside of Europe and keep players of the level of Isak and Bruno? Isak is one of the top few strikers in the world and not had to worry about losing him at all and people are claiming it's been a negative or disastrous window [emoji38]

This Minteh stuff is starting to sound like not winning the lottery when having numbers off by one for each ball.

He never played for us so we haven't really lost anything. His trade helped us out of a hole and probably stopped us falling foul of the rules put in place specifically to stop us.

In a perfect world it would have been good to keep him, but when we're competing against accountants who can sell something that's already theirs to themselves it was a pretty good deal. Accountancy specifics aside we sold a player we bought for 6-8m for 30m without ever having to take the risk of him playing.

Hopefully we can make use of it going forward

Completely taking a step back 

1) yes, wish we had him. He'd push Murphy as the starter and eventually displace him (with current squad). 

2) it would be the end of Mig. i think Minteh has 90 mins of pressing in him so the energy stays on.

3) there is NO WORLD where we keep him. No saleable asset of the squad other than the jewels being solld that would have solved our issues. (Do we ever really want to sell Bruno, Gordon, isak or JL?) 

4) No combo of Trips, Mig, Wilson, Or Longie probably ever happens or it would have; IMHO. We probably tried. However, those gusy are complicated deals to do and our club hierarchy will never push a top pro out. Maybe Mitchell will?

5) ^^^ Maybe other clubs do #4, but I'm glad we don't or haven't yet. I'll happily treat our guys who have given their all for mutiple years, under shit manager and unrest, played hurt. The human side is what makes NUFC the club we all still love because during those dark days, it was and could have been very easy to walk away, but we didn't...why? Well, very easy to work that out. 

I wish Minteh all the best, and will be happy to say that we basically discovered him and if he goes on to be a world class talent, then that's all on him and the opportunities he took for himself. 

Edited by Kanji

So strange how most of the Minteh defenders (all of them?) have moved on a long time ago.

Almost seems the loudest voices in the room are those trying to convince themselves we haven't missed out on our RW for the next decade. Non-issue either way, as the sale needed to be made for PSR... Interesting still to watch play out on here.

10 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Well I think to me at least, that it’s clear if we should be getting upset at a Brighton player we missed our chance with, is that player should be Joao Pedro

I’ve been disappointed by this since he went to Brighton. Isak and then Gordon pushed us to the limit so we never really had a chance, but I wish we had been able to get Pedro also. If we had had a chance to spend the Barnes money on him instead I think we’d have a lot better balance / fluidity / options up front.

If we had to get some profit in to comply with FFP i guess he was the obvious option. Find it hard to understand how we could be in the position where we needed £50m or whatever it was though. Must mean the management took a hell of a risk with the prior signings. 

11 hours ago, Mikky said:

Think I have watched a different match - he has been very sloppy at times - looks like a typical inexperienced player 

I don't think he looked typical at all. Incredibly direct, great crosses, great pressing. Should have had a couple of assists and was immediately behind Welbeck ready to finish when he scored his first. Thought he looked miles ahead of our current options.

I understand why he had to be sold, though.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

I’d like to apologise to the Minteh fundamentalist. I was certain we would bring in a right winger who’d be much better than Minteh is and all would be forgotten. We still have time, but let’s not kid ourselves. :lol:

Aw, that's nice. In the spirit of being apologetic, on behalf of the Minteh fundamentalists, I'd like to apologize to the out of position nonce brigade for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Conor Mcgregor Mma GIF by UFC

Oh, and fuck the clique!

I think we can safely say he's capable at this level - I don't think there's a single person on this forum who wouldn't play him ahead of Murphy/Almiron.

Edited by duo

40 minutes ago, duo said:

I think we can safely say he's capable at this level - I don't think there's a single person on this forum who wouldn't play him ahead of Murphy/Almiron.

Some on here said Murphy had a better pre season than him thus would still get games ahead of him.... :lol:

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I don’t think I need to reply in this thread anymore, especially after this summer transfer window

:lol: get over yourself. We made a tough call to sell Minteh but it was for the greater long-term good of the club.

7 minutes ago, Deuce said:

:lol: get over yourself. We made a tough call to sell Minteh but it was for the greater long-term good of the club.

You got it the opposite. For long term good we should give up Joelinton etc and keep Minteh I.E. those value will keep on increasing. What we did is targeting short term league finish which is opposite to what club under PSR should have done 

38 minutes ago, Menace said:

Some on here said Murphy had a better pre season than him thus would still get games ahead of him.... :lol:

Probably the same ones who thought we'd have a queue for Miggy at £15m.