Yankuba Minteh

He should not be sent out on loan but used as part of the necessary squad rotation. CL experience is more than some of the players we used this year, so why send him out again?

I can see a scenario where he comes back next season and Almiron is sold. We use the money from Almiron to fund other moves which are now more important due to the injuries.

We end up with him, Murphy, Gordon and Barnes for the two wide positions with big and little Joe standing in on the left if needed 

Howe said: "I have been keeping a very close eye on him. That would have been a great day for him despite the sending off. I think he has done really well and attacked the challenge of going alone, new league, new team-mates and has played in the Champions League. I think he has done really well this year and he can be proud of his efforts.

"I have tended not to communicate, I think you are better of letting the players focus and not give them too many distractions. Let's wait and see what happens in his next step."

Minteh has been asked about his future in Dutch football magazine Voetbal International, and said: “Ultimately, the Premier League is my goal. Newcastle United is the club that have a lot of confidence in me. I have no idea what the future looks like.

"I was in Newcastle once, when they played against Borussia Dortmund. I will hear soon what plans the club has for me. I’m still young, I have time, maybe they want to loan me out again.

“I don’t know yet, I’ll hear about it. I’ll let everything happen to me. I know only that one day I will play in the Premier League (for Newcastle United)."

Chronicle.

this lad should have a season around the club like the young bunch- Miley etc. 25 games and 9 goals at age 19 in the Eredivisie is a pretty good achievement 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

its a strange one but whenever i read his name i find myself doing it in a yorkshire accent. cant help it.

Edited by huss9
spelling

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

its a strange one but whenever i read his name i find myself doing it in a yorksire accent. cant help it.

Yeah, thanks for that, ffs. [emoji38]

• 4 weeks later...

Would be a shame not to have seen him when he appears to be such a talent,  but would sooner make bank now than when emotionally attached. 

Hmm... I don't feel good about it but this is FFP working as designed. Thank goodness restraining trade is keeping football sensible and accessible to ordinary people.

If it's seriously £40m, +£35m is a very significant piece of wiggle room for us, it has to be said. Could let us spend an extra £100m this summer while holding on to our most important midfielder in decades.

17 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Liverpool can fuck right off, I wouldn’t even sell them Jeff Hendrick. 

He's exactly who I would sell them.

If their opening offer is £40m, we should ask for £60m and settle on £50m. 

I'd prefer to keep him, but we could find out he's not tactically aware enough for Howe ATM, and be 2-3 years off being able to use him. 

To give it some perspective, question yourself as to how you'd view it if he were a Liverpool player in the same scenario (never played or even trained with them, 1 season in Dutch league etc) and we were going to pay 40mill ?

2 minutes ago, madras said:

He's exactly who I would sell them.

He would become a clone of prime gerrard and xavi if they got him. That’s how lucky they are at times :lol:

Posted (edited)

I dont think we should assume that there will be accessible right wing upgrades actually available to us... All signs are pointing towards Olise getting poached by someone else. Unless there's some bona fide target in mind that we have a very good shot at, I think we should just let the lad play and let him develop with us. Is it a risk? Sure. Is there a chance he turns into a 100 million pound target? Yes.

A goal contribution per 90 min (granted its the Dutch, but still) is serious. He's 99th percentile in many of the relevant categories to be a world class winger. I don't think we should be so quick to show the lad the door.

Edit: Think, for a minute, if the roles were reversed, and we had just identified this lad as a transfer target and were getting him in for 40 million pound. We'd be over the moon and hoping we'd just tapped the next Neymar. (Only partly kidding there). That's what Liverpool and the like seem to be thinking right now...

Edited by Upthemags