Yankuba Minteh (on loan at Feyenoord)

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I mean can you block it from happening. Cancelo was the example I was thinking of. 

It will probably come down to the player and parent club whether they can play against them or not. 

38 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

Can he play against us in the Champs League?

I think yes as there's no loan rules in place for European competitions, and we're not allowed to put a clause i believe, i'm not 100% though, just going by what i've looked up.

Feyenoord are an exceptionally well run club nowadays, highly rated manager in Slot too. The Athletic did a piece on them a few weeks ago and they're used to taking in young players from around the globe and putting in a lot of effort to help them settle. Minteh may not feature a whole lot early on but it should be a positive move, they're top scorer from last season was a young Mexican player who they signed last summer and he barely played initially as they noticed a deficiency in his running style that they wanted to address.

Would be good if we had them in a friendly either here or there next month. We've played CL opposition the last two times we finished top 4, would be a good test against the sort of level we'd be coming up against for 2nd/3rd places in the groups. These and a 'marquee' friendly like we had with Barca and Bayern in 02 and 03. 

On the one hand happy to see the wheels of us becoming an actual proper footballing operation clicking into gear and making signings like this. He looks a talented boy and a very similar profile to Kuol.

On the other hand I find these kind of transfers a bit depressing, to be honest. Plucked from Denmark and sent off to the Dutch champions before he's even stepped foot in NE1. A punt on a market opportunity. Genuine chance he might never play a game for NUFC. Instead just shunted around Europe for 3-4 years on various loans until he reaches an optimum value to be cashed in on to offset FFP for other players we want to sign.

I'd find it a bit shit if I was a Feyenoord fan too, tbh. This is historically the kind of player a Dutch club would sign directly - then at least get the benefit from when they sell him on like Odense have done. Instead the usual transfer food chain is broken in a cynical way to benefit those at the top.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, jackflap said:

Feyenoord are an exceptionally well run club nowadays, highly rated manager in Slot too. The Athletic did a piece on them a few weeks ago and they're used to taking in young players from around the globe and putting in a lot of effort to help them settle. Minteh may not feature a whole lot early on but it should be a positive move, they're top scorer from last season was a young Mexican player who they signed last summer and he barely played initially as they noticed a deficiency in his running style that they wanted to address.

This some HTT schtick? He back?

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

On the one hand happy to see the wheels of us becoming an actual proper footballing operation clicking into gear and making signings like this. He looks a talented boy and a very similar profile to Kuol.

On the other hand I find these kind of transfers a bit depressing, to be honest. Plucked from Denmark and sent off to the Dutch champions before he's even stepped foot in NE1. A punt on a market opportunity. Genuine chance he might never play a game for NUFC. Instead just shunted around Europe for 3-4 years on various loans until he reaches an optimum value to be cashed in on to offset FFP for other players we want to sign.

I'd find it a bit shit if I was a Feyenoord fan too, tbh. This is historically the kind of player a Dutch club would would sign directly - then at least get the benef of when they sell him on like Odense have done. Instead the usual transfer chain is broken and will only benefit the one at the top of the food chain.

Aye, much the same.

Remember a few years ago looking at a list of players Chelsea had out on loan and the amount they'd paid for them all and thinking how completely shite the current system is.

Hopefully he'll go there and look like the absolute tits and be a part of our team in the future. Most likely scenario is probably he spends a couple of years on loan and then gets sold for a small profit, we'll hopefully get a few of the absolute gems Ashworth found for Brighton though.

At the end of the day it's basically an unintended consequence of FFP that clubs will operate this way. And we are going to have to do it. But it's shite IMO and frequently not the best thing for many footballers' development.

Massively agree. Similar to how we’re signing that 14 year old. Almost makes it pointless for smaller clubs to have an academy. It might seem like nothing to most people but for me one of the most hurtful moments of the Ashley years, the latter part atleast was watching Bobby Clarke go to Liverpool.