Yankuba Minteh

47 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Looks rapid and unpredictable. Having said that, he looks nowhere near ready to challenge for the 1st team next season based on what i've seen and read. Especially when considering that we will be looking at a proper key signing for our right hand side for next season at the latest. I'd let them have him for another season if possible. Best for him and the club imo. We will be looking to improve the 1st team in the next two windows hopefully aiming for high quality technical players. We don't want to go in to next season with Miggy only, with Murphy and Minteh as average backups.

Average? :lol:

6 hours ago, r0cafella said:

He looks very raw to me. 

Said it before, he needs another season at Feyenoord - Dutch league is very good for developing wingers - Feyenoord are the right club for him

24 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I assumed a few might react at this a bit too literally.  Don't get me wrong, i love Murphy and i think he has done a great job for us. However we can't forget that a few of our players have been better than, kind of "the sum of their parts" mainly because of Howe and how well we function as a team unit. I don't mind him as a squad player, absolutely not. However if we aim to improve and evolve for next season then i dont think he should be a starting player or 1st man backup to Miggy. Me using the word "average" is relatively speaking. I wouldn't call him a class player, especially when we consider what we are aiming for. The club and Eddie will be ruthless when needed, despite many players giving their all and doing a brilliant/class job relative to their ability. 

Edited by Ikon

3 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts. I'm not even sure we can call Minteh average (by our standards), have we seen enough of him? Murphy has been playing out of his skin since Howe's arrival in a bit-part role, even being subbed as a sub iirc. Let's not kid ourselves he's anything more than he currently is.

Comes across as a great lad though and I hope he has a part to play for a little while longer.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I assumed a few might react at this a bit too literally.  Don't get me wrong, i love Murphy and i think he has done a great job for us. However we can't forget that a few of our players have been better than, kind of "the sum of their parts" mainly because of Howe and how well we function as a team unit. I don't mind him as a squad player, absolutely not. However if we aim to improve and evolve for next season then i dont think he should be a starting player or 1st man backup to Miggy. Me using the word "average" is relatively speaking. I wouldn't call him a class player, especially when we consider what we are aiming for. 

I totally get, if we sign a RW "worldie" that Miggy would be the backup unless sold. Murphy isn't "average" in my mind given his performances under Howe. Average isn't playing really well in a top6 Premier League team, imho.

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I totally get, if we sign a RW "worldie" that Miggy would be the backup unless sold. Murphy isn't "average" in my mind given his performances under Howe. Average isn't playing really well in a top6 Premier League team, imho.

Do you think another say top 8 club would sign him? Even if only for rotation? I doubt so. He has done remarkably well for us considering his ability. I still don't see him as a class player despite how much i like him.

All this said, what is average, what is class, what is world class and so on :) Can't really say if anyone is wrong or right, same goes for me tbh.

Edited by Ikon

14 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Do you think another say top 8 club would sign him? Even if only for rotation? I doubt so. He has done remarkably well for us considering his ability. I still don't see him as a class player despite how much i like him.

All this said, what is average, what is class, what is world class and so on :) Can't really say if anyone is wrong or right, same goes for me tbh.

Let them spend a few million on a squad player, we've got our's. He has flourished, as have they all under Eduardo, and I appreciate he's got a ceiling. Totally agree with @Dr.Spaceman He has been playing out of his skin.

I just think absolutely none of our players can be described as "average" given what they've produced these last 2 years. Fuck me, down to the bear bones and humped Chelsea. Won in Paris ;)

The wife and I were talking after the game on Tuesday about what happens with that lot when the injured lads come back? Difficult shout.

I'm dead loyal to Newcastle players, always have been. As a kid doing my imaginary Toon team I'd still pick half the current players even when, which was often, we were shite. 

I've never been more proud of a group of players than with these. Every time they need to drag something else from the depths of their very souls, they step up. From bairns to seniors. Nothing avarage about any of them.

Edited by Groundhog63

49 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Let them spend a few million on a squad player, we've got our's. He has flourished, as have they all under Eduardo, and I appreciate he's got a ceiling. Totally agree with @Dr.Spaceman He has been playing out of his skin.

I just think absolutely none of our players can be described as "average" given what they've produced these last 2 years. Fuck me, down to the bear bones and humped Chelsea. Won in Paris ;)

The wife and I were talking after the game on Tuesday about what happens with that lot when the injured lads come back? Difficult shout.

I'm dead loyal to Newcastle players, always have been. As a kid doing my imaginary Toon team I'd still pick half the current players even when, which was often, we were shite. 

I've never been more proud of a group of players than with these. Every time they need to drag something else from the depths of their very souls, they step up. From bairns to seniors. Nothing avarage about any of them.

With Miggy on the right, who probably was one of our better if not the best player in these games. I just feel like some players get slightly overhyped, same with Anderson to name one. Like Dr. Spaceman says, he's been playing out of his skin.

Even Burn who i rate and love has been slightly overhyped at times. He has performed admirably and playing out of his skin and done a fantastic job and has been massive in our path back to being a very good side. 

I probably wouldn't call him average but i still think he's been slightly overhyped by some. Clear to see what a difference in quality overall there is between him and Livramento who's even playing out of position.

Not one single team will pay 15-20m for Murphy as they know his true ability. This doesn't mean that he hasn't done very very well for us and is a good fit. The reason we have been doing so extremely well overall isn't because every single player is class ability wise. I hope he stays for next season and i think he will, for sure. But it's only a short amount of time until he's entirely replaced in the squad.

Edited by Ikon

One thing I really like from those clips is that often when he receives the ball to feet he controls it with his weaker right foot and has already squared himself up to the defender before controlling it. This means he's ready to go outside or inside before he's even received the ball and it's the sort of thing you mostly see from elite wingers like ie Saka. 

What a perfect loan for him btw. Playing for the Dutch champions in the CL against teams like Atletico after only really having half a season in the Danish league. There will be loads of room for him to develop still. I'm sure Howe will have a look at him in pre-season. 

Could he be one of those where if he's been playing pretty regularly this season, we keep him around the club at least until January even if he's not getting much game time? Get to learn what we expect of him, get used to the area and club. Think Kuol is going to need to do the same at some point unless he's just been signed to flip on for FFP purposes. 

By the time January arrives we should have Barnes back, maybe Murphy too and as others have said he'll be away to AFCON, by the time that's done the above two along with Anderson/Willock will be back

Him staying at Feyenoord is absolutely the right thing to do for the remainder of the season, especially as he's getting regular minutes

In the summer it will be interesting to see what we do, if he stays there is the luxury of him not taking a squad space and Howe can take a closer look at him

Though I'm sure for 2025-26 he still doesn't take a squad space so even another season long loan could be a good idea 

34 minutes ago, andycap said:

When you cancel a loan does it have to be in the transfer window or anytime? Because if it's the latter he could be a great addition going into January to keep us up with the top seven teams. 

Depends if there’s a break clause in the loan from either side - the fact he’s getting regular games means we won’t activate the recall clause in Jan and let him develop as he has done this season 

Long term it would be the best for him and the club if he stays where he is for at least this season. Also important to do all we can to have a great relationship with Feyenoord and other clubs. Massively important going forward when we will be looking to sign young players and get them good loans. 

Sensible plan is let him stay and continue to develop where he is. Needs must (…when the devil pukes in your kettle) plan is it would be daft to leave a player elsewhere if he is more than holding his own in champions league games when we’re down to putting green as grass academy players and three keepers on the bench in vital games. 

Could Feyenoord refuse to send Minteh back if they agreed to a season's loan, or as you say agree a further season later, though seeing as the in champs league and I believe 2nd in the Erevidisie they may have a case to refuse, he seems important to them .