Yankuba Minteh (on loan at Feyenoord)

On 02/03/2024 at 11:15, Unbelievable said:

Yeah. My Feyenoord supporting mate says he lacks end product, often flatters to deceive. Doesn't sound like he'll be ready for the PL next year.

I haven’t watched him play but 6 goals and 2 assists in 17 games with (the majority?) being sub appearances wouldn’t suggest lack of end product surely?

Edited by Joey47

He's got the things you cannot teach, and is missing the things a good coach and the right attitude provide. He's about as much as an exciting prospect as you can get.

5 hours ago, Mikky said:

Anyone watching/watched the match?

Dis Bakayoko play? Was he any good?

I was there today. Currently sat in departures at Schiphol. Bakayoko played. Was poor yet again. After a great start to the season he's really struggled for form these past couple of months. Personally I think he's playing on the wrong wing and him and Lozano should swap.

Was interested to see Minteh today and have to say I was very impressed. Very lively, scored a good goal and was pretty much a menace until he went off in the 75th minute. Played through the middle today but I think he also has the attributes to play out wide, he has pace and some nice tricks.

I'd think he'd be knocking on the door of the first team next season and going off today alone he looked a better option than either Almiron or Murphy in my opinion.

Also sure I read on here that the Feyenoord fans don't like him. Well we were sat a couple of blocks along from the away fans and they love him! He got an incredible reception off them when he was subbed.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I was there today. Currently sat in departures at Schiphol. Bakayoko played. Was poor yet again. After a great start to the season he's really struggled for form these past couple of months. Personally I think he's playing on the wrong wing and him and Lozano should swap.

Was interested to see Minteh today and have to say I was very impressed. Very lively, scored a good goal and was pretty much a menace until he went off in the 75th minute. Played through the middle today but I think he also has the attributes to play out wide, he has pace and some nice tricks.

I'd think he'd be knocking on the door of the first team next season and going off today alone he looked a better option than either Almiron or Murphy in my opinion.

Also sure I read on here that the Feyenoord fans don't like him. Well we were sat a couple of blocks along from the away fans and they love him! He got an incredible reception off them when he was subbed.

Very encouraging if he's able to play through the middle. Exactly what we need really, a winger who can play up there.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Very encouraging if he's able to play through the middle. Exactly what we need really, a winger who can play up there.

He played through the middle V Celtic in the Champs league as well.

The Dutch league is a difficult one to take much from I think. Kezman, Babel etc, and probably even more so these days, but everything I've seen of Minteh has looked very promising.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Dutch league is a difficult one to take much from I think. Kezman, Babel etc, and probably even more so these days, but everything I've seen of Minteh has looked very promising.

The good thing about the Dutch is that they pride themselves in their wing play - so was a fantastic move for Minteh - got to play CL - EL and AFCON all in one season 

8 hours ago, KaKa said:

His pressing and defensive work is likely what gets him a chance perhaps a lot sooner than we think.

It's great if a player with his raw potential and attributes also has a great work rate, I didn't know about that. Not the easiest combination to find even in the modern game.

13 hours ago, Pata said:

It's great if a player with his raw potential and attributes also has a great work rate, I didn't know about that. Not the easiest combination to find even in the modern game.

Yeah, it's what makes Gordon very special. Real ability and great commitment and work rate.

How soon do we expect new rules to be in place if we make a financial success out of the 'sign young and loan them out' strategy? I can already picture other clubs cutting their nose off to spite their face as long as it continues to restrict us. 

Newcastle United are considering a second successive season-long loan for Yankuba Minteh as they press ahead with a multimillion-pound plan they hope will help them beat suffocating financial fair play rules.

Minteh is the 19-year-old Gambia winger signed from Danish club Odense Boldklub for £6m last summer and then loaned to Feyenoord as part of the club’s plan to “invest in emerging talent” by beefing up their global scouting operation and transfer budget for development players.

Much has been made of the restrictions the Premier League’s profit and sustainability regulations (PSR) put on Newcastle’s first-team recruitment but buying and developing the best players between the age of 16-21 is seen internally as a way of saving the club millions in the long term.

A source told i Dan Ashworth’s imminent departure as director of football would not disrupt those plans, with Newcastle talent spotters having taken part in recent scouting missions to Brazil and Germany to watch young players. Further global signings are anticipated in the coming transfer window alongside a substantial squad rebuild after a turbulent campaign.

But Minteh was the first example of significant funds being ploughed into the plan, and sources have told ithat they are seeing promising signs, with the club’s revamped loan support structure playing a big part in what is turning into a successful season in the Eredivisie.

Newcastle were meticulous in their approach to Minteh’s loan, a club representative jetting out to find him an apartment in Rotterdam in advance of his move, and even measuring how far it was from the club’s training ground so that he could concentrate solely on playing and training.

Loan coordinator Shola Ameobi is understood to be a regular visitor for face-to-face chats with the player and his coaching staff and is also in weekly contact with the 19-year-old, who has a huge amount of potential but is regarded as very much a rough diamond.

Minteh’s progress in the Netherlands has been far from a straight arc – a flying start followed by a plateau in form before excellent recent form culminating in another influential performance on Sunday. Feyenoord’s highly-rated head coach Arne Slot emphasised on Friday how much more there is to come as he urged patience around his development.

But there have been some tantalising signs. “He has huge potential, if he can learn to slow down his though process a bit he is going to be a fantastic player,” says Martijn Krabbendam, Feyenoord correspondent for Voetbal International.

“Everyone loves him. He’s so quick, he’s so intuitive but he also loves work, not just attacking but also defensively too.

“The way Feyenoord is playing under this coach it’s very important that they put in that hard work and he does that.

“I think it will be too early for Newcastle’s first team next season because he has a lot still to learn but if he continues to develop he will be a fantastic player for the club in the long term.”

Although the club are likely to take a look at him in pre-season another loan move to continue his development is viewed as the most likely option. Feyenoord are keen to bring him back for a second season, although a move to the Championship is also possible.

Newcastle know they can’t afford to make many missteps in the transfer market, with scrutiny falling on their own season-long loan of Lewis Hall, who has played only 108 minutes of Premier League football this term. He has been an unused substitute for the last six matches but is getting closer to triggering a permanent £28m summer move.

Club sources insist he remains a long-term project but they may have to loan him out next season if he can’t force his way into Eddie Howe’s plans.

As i revealed a fortnight ago, Newcastle are considering restructuring their own football operations as they adjust to Ashworth’s impending exit, with tweaks to the remit of his successor.

While they are looking to recruit a replacement their responsibilities may not be as overarching as Ashworth’s were as some of their duties could end being shared out internally.

The first part of that restructure emerged on Friday as Andy Howe was promoted to assistant head of first-team recruitment. The highly-regarded Howe, nephew of manager Eddie, was previously head of technical scouting.

13 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone able to summarise this?

• More Mintehs will be a big part of the plan to beat financial restrictions; more young players to come in this summer
  • More detailed focus on making loans successful (we helped Minteh find an apartment, Shola visits often)
  • Club will evaluate in preseason, but another loan most likely. Feyenoord interested, Championship possible.
  • Hall is getting closer to "triggering" his deal, but there are no details. He may be loaned out next season.

19 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone able to summarise this?

Without reading it, I assume it's:

1. Buy young talent cheap

2. Loan out cheap young talent

3. Talent performs well at loaning club

4. Sell for big profit & FFP gains