Yankuba Minteh

That's an exciting read as a Newcastle fan but depressing read as a general football enthusiast. Feyenoord are a traditional big European club and now a lottery ticket buy by NUFC equals their record signing. Such a tough spot for their fans too, if he's good they know they have no chance to see him for them past this season.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

That's an exciting read as a Newcastle fan but depressing read as a general football enthusiast. Feyenoord are a traditional big European club and now a lottery ticket buy by NUFC equals their record signing. Such a tough spot for their fans too, if he's good they know they have no chance to see him for them past this season.

Shouldn’t have jumped into bed with the Sunderland lot down the road then. 

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Their fans should remain cool with the situation, maybe land him again next year with a fresh loan bid. Either way they probably have a mint season 

4 hours ago, Pata said:

Good post. This is why my Feyenoord supporting friends are less than enthousiastic. They’d rather the club promote one of their youth players.

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Good post. This is why my Feyenoord supporting friends are less than enthousiastic. They’d rather the club promote one of their youth players.

All well and good, but it would seem like Minteh is better than they have in any youth team, and will assist them in getting bigger up the league and into a European place? It’s the better result long term for the club having a good player come in on loan, rather than promote a mediocre or too youthful prospect for the sake of it, surely? 

I used to think it was shite that mid-table clubs would handpick the best of other leagues but meh. The Premier League, TV companies, supporters have spent the money to invest in the league to get where it is. It wasn't the best league at the start of it all so there was nothing stopping other leagues getting to where the PL is.

5 hours ago, Pata said:

Any different to them having David Connolly in the 90s? He'd played barely a handful of games for Watford mostly in the third division and came back to England with a going extinct second-tier Wimbledon.

Or the Italian league last century. David Platt was the top English player and left England to go to Bari, not even a midtable club, for example.

Its nothing new. Just a different Trojan horse.

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Any different to them having David Connolly in the 90s? He'd played barely a handful of games for Watford mostly in the third division and came back to England with a going extinct second-tier Wimbledon.

Or the Italian league last century. David Platt was the top English player and left England to go to Bari, not even a midtable club, for example.

Its nothing new. Just a different Trojan horse.

This is the only place that constantly makes me feel young. :lol:

After some googling I can't see any similarities between Minteh and Connolly. Watford didn't outsource Connolly's development to Feyenoord by loaning him to them, he was sold. I have no idea why Platt moved to Bari but saw something about a new rich owner they had and English football probably still struggled after the ban to participate in European Cups. Maybe Platt wanted to see other leagues and countries and seemingly successfully used Bari as a stepping stone.

I just don't see this as a normal wealth cycle that football has seen all the time throughout the history. PL is way too rich compared to anyone else bar few super clubs in Europe. I hate the loan system and wouldn't mind if it was banned altogether, it just widens the gap between the rich and the others. Big clubs (like us now) can just hoover talent from all over the world and loan them out and let others develop them. Then keep the best talent or potentially sell them to get past FFP. It's just shit and I still don't enjoy it now that we're the ones taking advantage of it. Kenedy was decent for us for a while but all I could think of was how we are just being used by Chelsea.

Edited by Pata

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Totally agree and have said for a while, the loan system needs massive reform.

Yeah, if for example Chelsea were allowed to own a squad of 25 players plus their academy those 20 or whatever players they are loaning out would be owned by smaller clubs. If they develop them to stardom they would get a real fee for them when Chelsea eventually buy them instead of paying for the privilege of doing the development work for Chelsea. Even banning loaning players under 23-25 would help and would mean that bigger clubs would need to use their best prospects or risk losing them and not just acquire them because they can just in case they end up a star. 

9 hours ago, Pata said:

Rotterdammerung.

You don't get to use that every day.

Edited by 80

Our boy played the second half of a friendly vs Villarreal and won Feyenoord a penalty, which was converted to make the final score 1-1

edit: based on a quick scan on Twitter/X he played as a striker second half, was tireless and really impressed some Feyenoord fans.

Edited by Unbelievable

This boy came highly recommended, he looked class in clips and it was only his attitude that was getting called into question. This loan move feels like the perfect place for him to develop 

On 22/07/2023 at 19:22, madras said:

Totally agree and have said for a while, the loan system needs massive reform.

totally agree.

alongside that I’d also put in clauses where if a player on a pro contract doesn’t play a certain % of games in a season or across 2 seasons maybe then their transfer fee is fixed at the remaining value of their contract and this is set as a release fee. Contracts at a max of 5 years as well to avoid clubs offering massive contracts to navigate this