Yankuba Minteh

7 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

File this under Luke saying we were in  for Nmencha. Him, Martin Hardy have been way off for ages 

Howe confirmed after the Dortmund game that we were interested in Nmecha.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd keep him rather than another loan. He might turn out to be the RW we need already, if not, 5 months getting used to Newcastle, Howe, the squad, etc won't do his development any harm, we could loan him out again in January if he's not quite there. 

You do have a good point, but the thing is we are going to get an expensive RW whether he stays or not, and we should be getting one who’s young enough to stay with us for a few years at least. That means Minteh won’t have a leading role in our team even if he does well (unless the new RW flops, and I really hope that won’t be the case). Then, if Minteh turns out to be a great player for PL, he would most likely be a backup for our new RW, in that case it would be better to get this 40m transfer fee than have him warm our bench, especially for our current financial situation. If he turns out to be not suitable for PL, then we should get that 40m and run. 

I mean imagine if we get a player on the level of Olise, what role would Minteh play for us in the next 3 years? If this 40m story is true, it would be better to get that cash to strengthen our positions elsewhere. 

I really like the player and his style, and I wish he becomes our Mane, but unfortunately the PSR rules and our current standing might force us to think differently. 

Edited by Solitude20

2 hours ago, STM said:

You know what would be a fucking really good idea...

Offer him to Forest on loan, with no loan fee, if they allow us to have MGW for a fair fee. Everyone's a winner.

Betting Bbc GIF

Mon dieu, Mon dieu!

19 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Joe Kinnear would probably have called him Dementia.

Minging, considering his cause of death. 

4 hours ago, arnonel said:

Dutch league has produced world class players. Wish we would stop being so condescending

image.thumb.jpeg.b7bfacb7b482a84aefbf32900f8eb2a7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

You do have a good point, but the thing is we are going to get an expensive RW whether he stays or not, and we should be getting one who’s young enough to stay with us for a few years at least. That means Minteh won’t have a leading role in our team even if he does well (unless the new RW flops, and I really hope that won’t be the case). Then, if Minteh turns out to be a great player for PL, he would most likely be a backup for our new RW, in that case it would be better to get this 40m transfer fee than have him warm our bench, especially for our current financial situation. If he turns out to be not suitable for PL, then we should get that 40m and run. 

I mean imagine if we get a player on the level of Olise, what role would Minteh play for us in the next 3 years? If this 40m story is true, it would be better to get that cash to strengthen our positions elsewhere. 

I really like the player and his style, and I wish he becomes our Mane, but unfortunately the PSR rules and our current standing might force us to think differently. 

I feel like Eddie wants 3 good options for each position with clear hierarchy, first team, young gem, experienced backup 

Pope, Trafford, Gillespie

Trippier, Livramento, Krafth

Schar, new RCB, Lascelles

Botman, Kelly, Burn

Kelly, Hall, Targett

Bruno, Miley, 

Joelinton, Willock

Tonali, Longstaff

New RW, Minteh, Murphy

Gordon, Barnes, Anderson

Isak, new young backup, Wilson

Not included Almiron or Dubravka as think they’re out. 

Not a bad make up of squad, if the vacancies are filled with some stardust 

4 hours ago, arnonel said:

Dutch league has produced world class players. Wish we would stop being so condescending

True, but is it not fair to say the ratio of duds to success stories is relatively high due to the general quality of the league?

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Luis Suarez the best non-Dutch player to ever come direct from the Dutch league to the premier league?

Him or Virgil, RVN and RVP weren't half bad either. Same with Van der Sar.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Him or Virgil, RVN and RVP weren't half bad either. Same with Van der Sar.

They are all Dutch 

On 08/06/2024 at 19:01, Beth said:

The problem is he plays in the postion that is most affected by age, wingers rely on pace and stamina and that's the first thing to drop off. That's why the likes of Giggs and Ronaldo became more central as they got older.

Stamina is the last thing athletes lose due to age. Ronaldo became more central when he was 22-23. Beth never fails.

On 09/06/2024 at 01:38, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  And the Eredivisie is weaker now than it was then. 

Luuk de Jong scored 29 goals and had 15 assists last season in the Eredivisie.

1 hour ago, morpeth mag said:

Followed by Ray Clarke

I've just checked you know and both Ray Clarke and Rob McDonald had nearly a goal every other game if not better when playing in The Netherlands.

So we've established that the top performers in the Dutch league can be either excellent players or shit players outside of Holland. Pig in a poke country, then.

Just have to make sure we don't overspend on this one, and he'll be worth a gamble in that case. Oh wait, we already have him.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

So we've established that the top performers in the Dutch league can be either excellent players or shit players outside of Holland. Pig in a poke country, then.

Just have to make sure we don't overspend on this one, and he'll be worth a gamble in that case. Oh wait, we already have him.

Tbf the lad could end up being class, or he might end up being ok, or he might end up doing nothing.

But I wouldn’t rely on statistics from the Dutch league as a perfect benchmark for future performance in England, which some have implied.  Him being in the top 1 percentile on a variety of stats is a positive, but that doesn’t mean that it follows that he’ll be a star in a tougher league.