Yankuba Minteh

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Those stats don't indicate he's better than Miggy, merely that he played better than Miggy in the league he is in.

It does suggest that there is potentially a quality player there though.

You'd have to be crackers to hang your hat on the kid without more data and a proper look in training and in friendlies, which I hope we do.

I've seen dozens of "wonderkids" from many leagues turn up and not be up too much.

Should we give him a chance? Hell yes. Should we go wild if we accept a decent offer for him? Hell no. IMO obvs.

That’s all anyone is asking. That Howe has a look and if he decides to sell him that’s fine but selling him because of ffp without even looking at him in preseason would be a bit shit

10 minutes ago, STM said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Those stats don't indicate he's better than Miggy, merely that he played better than Miggy in the league he is in.

It does suggest that there is potentially a quality player there though.

You'd have to be crackers to hang your hat on the kid without more data and a proper look in training and in friendlies, which I hope we do.

I've seen dozens of "wonderkids" from many leagues turn up and not be up too much.

Should we give him a chance? Hell yes. Should we go wild if we accept a decent offer for him? Hell no. IMO obvs.

I get where you’re coming from but I think everyone saying “it’s only the eredevise” also need to ask themselves how many teenagers have performed on that level in the eredevise or even lower quality leagues. I don’t think it will be many.

I don’t think Miggy would get anywhere near those stats even if he was playing in that league.

Edited by Joey47

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

I get where you’re coming from but I think everyone saying “it’s only the eredevise” also need to ask themselves how many teenagers have performed on that level in the eredevise or even lower quality leagues. I don’t think it will be many.

I don’t think Miggy would get anywhere near those stats even if he was playing in that league.

Just to be clear, I'd say the same of any young player, in any league, apart from perhaps La Liga, where the standard is comparable to the PL.

Worth baring in mind that the Eredivise is comparable to the Championship, more than the PL but you'd be hard pressed for many of our fans looking to sign players from that league (yes we already own Minteh).

1 minute ago, STM said:

Just to be clear, I'd say the same of any young player, in any league, apart from perhaps La Liga, where the standard is comparable to the PL.

Worth baring in mind that the Eredivise is comparable to the Championship, more than the PL but you'd be hard pressed for many of our fans looking to sign players from that league (yes we already own Minteh).

Yeah that’s fair. I would also admit that personally I tend to get overly excited about young players showing such promise. Especially a player like Minteh who is not only putting up great stats but also flair, confidence and pace which is everything I want to see in a winger. On top of that he seems to do a lot of defensive and pressing work.

I’m often wrong though, I thought Mudryk would become one of the best wingers in the world when he was leaving Shaktar to go to Chelsea [emoji38]

Minteh compares favourably to any youngster who isn't in an elite league. Compare Olise in the Champ or Minteh in Eredivisie - Minteh's had the better season.

It helps that Minteh was in the best team but still.

Not only is he productive - he has physical gifts. 

At the least - he's a legit wonderkid.

2 hours ago, gdm said:

That’s all anyone is asking. That Howe has a look and if he decides to sell him that’s fine but selling him because of ffp without even looking at him in preseason would be a bit shit

Howe himself said he's been following him closely during his stint at Feyenoord, and would have been privy to all sorts of information regarding his progress.

He might well feel comfortable making a decision based on that alone. 

Sky Info - These three players are among those on the list of the new #BVB coach Nuri Sahin (35/ ): Yankuba Minteh (19/ ), Ferdi Kadıoğlu (25/ ) and Jerdy Schouten (27/ ).

Minteh, who impressed on loan at Feyenoord Rotterdam and is returning to Newcastle for the time being, is one of several candidates for the wing - if another transfer of Jadon Sancho does not work out or one of the candidates for sale (Malen/Adeyemi) leaves.

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

This lad might prove to be our best player to never play for us! 

This is how fkd up psr/ffp is. Sell your best player or one of your most promising young players to one of the top teams, or we’ll fine and deduct points from you.

4 hours ago, Joelinton7 said:

This is how fkd up psr/ffp is. Sell your best player or one of your most promising young players to one of the top teams, or we’ll fine and deduct points from you.

Aye. Did everything right. Found someone with promise, signed him for a modest fee, loaned him out to get experience and battle-test him and get him ready for your team everything thus far has worked out, a club can do no more right than that.....but are forced to sell player for new legislation only

12 minutes ago, duo said:

If he's good enough for Dortmund he is good enough for us. Solves our problem of RW.

Got to give him a chance this season. It would be absolute stupidity to loan him out again, even if we buy a new RW he should be kept as first back up.

It's time we got rid of mediocre players like Almiron and Murphy.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

Got to give him a chance this season. It would be absolute stupidity to loan him out again, even if we buy a new RW he should be kept as first back up.

It's time we got rid of mediocre players like Almiron and Murphy.

Think Almiron will go. Murphy may stay as versatile down the right side. Agree that Minteh might be a very good back up to our RW upgrade with a view to taking that place if he reaches his ceiling.