Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Just now, Kanji said:

let’s agree to disagree. I have no desire to split hairs on this. I’m basing this on my eye test. Lavia is a safer passer. Hence why his completion rate is higher. He creates far less and he’s actually less successful at tackling. He’s not even close to being the leader and fighter that Tonali has shown at the highest level. 

What do the stats say about dribbling then?

Btw the vast majority of Tonali’s creativity comes from set pieces. He’s not a creative or penetrative passer from the eye test or statistically. 

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

let’s agree to disagree. I have no desire to split hairs on this. I’m basing this on my eye test. Lavia is a safer passer. Hence why his completion rate is higher. He creates far less and he’s actually less successful at tackling. He’s not even close to being the leader and fighter that Tonali has shown at the highest level. 

Agree.  Lavia is not nearly as versatile either.   Who is going to take the corners now? I know Trippier is an expert, but Tonali looks really good too.  Trippier = free-kick; Tonali = corner?

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

Agree.  Lavia is not nearly as versatile either.   Who is going to take the corners now? I know Trippier is an expert, but Tonali looks really good too.  Trippier = free-kick; Tonali = corner?

Maddison on free kicks 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Easy to forget how devastated we would’ve been if Carroll had gone someone and done well. 

I was fucking destroyed that day he went. Remember celebrating that we knocked back the initial £30M and then half hour later we'd accepted £35M :lol:

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What do the stats say about dribbling then?

Btw the vast majority of Tonali’s creativity comes from set pieces. He’s not a creative or penetrative passer from the eye test or statistically. 

I have only seen one highlights video, but it looked like he was very good at holding the ball under pressure and then going past players to open up space. That's worth it's weight in gold in creativity by itself, especially in a deep lying midfielder.

34 minutes ago, Zero said:

I can understand how devastated Milanista is now. Tonali is a club symbol, a local lad, and probably the future Italy captain. It’s like we got their Andy Carroll (with even better record of course)

I keep seeing him referred to as a 'flag'. Sounds like we're taking something quite important!

15 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

His highlight video shows quite a bit of creativity in passing/assists. His set pieces are wonderful.  

Set pieces. Aye great. 

general play? Good passing but not Pirlo, Modric or even Bruno G or Gundogan. He’s a good passer but not an elite passer (or particularly close). 

The potentially elite aspects are more physical and mental. 

From the clips I’ve seen he’s not a deep lying midfielder. He looks box to box to me with a fantastic engine.  He covers far too much ground to be considered deep lying. 

I do wonder how much of a factor the Milan ownership/sacking of Maldini plays into his decision making.

If he’s as much a Rossonero as is being made out, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave us a few good years and wanted to return.