Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m conflicted on if he should receive his full wage whilst banned.

On the one hand I think players are paid an obscene amount of money and he has been signed to these wages knowing that he was involved in an activity that would likely jeopardise his playing time here, with the other side being that there is a relationship to be maintained between the player and the club and if we do intend on him having a long and productive career here, there is no benefit to the club potentially damaging that by being seen to punish him for what could be a genuine addiction.

The best outcome would be for him to agree to give up a portion of his wage during his ban and for it to be donated to good causes in the region, with Tonali playing an active role in supporting them in person. 

I get the donate it and a large part of me agrees but then the other part says we are hugely out of pocket and reports. This morning saying we wanted to sign another three players but FFP prevented it. Top that with haters gonna hate so if we did donate it then people will just report we’re trying to sports wash so may as well keep it.

17 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

On the one hand I think players are paid an obscene amount of money and he has been signed to these wages knowing that he was involved in an activity that would likely jeopardise his playing time here, with the other side being that there is a relationship to be maintained between the player and the club and if we do intend on him having a long and productive career here, there is no benefit to the club potentially damaging that by being seen to punish him for what could be a genuine addiction.

The best outcome would be for him to agree to give up a portion of his wage during his ban and for it to be donated to good causes in the region, with Tonali playing an active role in supporting them in person. 

He isn't banned and hopefully facing further punishment by the club for his addiction. It is very clear as a footballer that you should not bet on football. He could have bet on anything else to feed his gambling habit without any trouble. 

3 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: I would say he must've been racking his brains thinking of all those ways to bring it back to Saudi ownership but he really didn't appear to put much effort in at all.

I'm not even sure what his point is? That we're being sportswashed by not being openly hostile towards a player commiting actions 'the Saudis' are against? :lol:

He mentions homosexuality being illegal for some reason, would he also be disgusted if we welcomed a gay footballer with open arms? 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

9 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm not even sure what his point is? That we're being sportswashed by not being openly hostile towards a player commiting actions 'the Saudis' are against? :lol:

He mentions homosexuality being illegal for some reason, would he also be disgusted if we welcomed a gay footballer with open arms? 

'Saudis hate gambling like they hate women what a disgrace'.. 'look at these NUFC fans not slaughtering a player for gambling what a disgrace'.

Do you want us complying with the regime or not, Jez? I can't quite work out what you want from us. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

No - apparently then they would have sportswashed us into accepting something they’re against using his logic.  Hate them then we’re sportswashed into thinking the same way.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Haven't agreed with you a lot on this situation but agree with this, good post, that would be a great approach 

1 hour ago, Paully said:

"And considering gambling is banned in Saudi, along with being homosexual and women being allowed to drive"

Not defending the Saudi state here, but Women have been able to drive there for a few years. So this isn't even accurate.

Really is basic journalism to at least get the facts right that are widely known and available. I'd be embarrassed if I turned in such shoddy work to my employer.