Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, Aiston said:

We've looked far worse without him every time he's been subbed off.

They battered our left side in the 2nd half when he came off, Anderson and Isak were nowhere close to helping Burn.

Hes got some work to do, but we look weaker almost every time he goes off as you say.

7 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Well Joelinton has been out of form / injured and we haven't had Willock. Willock is a huge miss honestly -- really need him back.

But today Tonali was easily the weak link of the three. I think he'll be much better by the second half of the season.

Willock is the most underrated player in the league.

A few of our signings under Howe have looked like square pegs. Gordon and Tonali being the obvious ones.

The issue is balance. We had a very well balanced side last season and anyone coming from the bench slotted in just fine as well.

Trippier, Bruno, Botman and Isak just came in and instantly made us better. It was obvious.

I understand we’re not going to do that each time with a transfer but we now have a few Joelinton situations we’re going to be debating these players for a year or more before they come good, or not.

He needs English lessons just as much as training sessions at the moment. There’s a clear lack of connection with his team mates at the moment. He really doesn’t look comfortable with what he’s doing.

He could be a great player for us but he’s a lost soul at the moment.

It can’t be easy and there’s no quick fix

1 minute ago, buzza said:

Both first and second half there were huge gaps on our left modfield, Big dan was left with his arse oot for most of the game. We should have remedied it...

Not sure why Murphy kept drifting into a midfield position. There was a few occasions where there was tons of space for Milan to play into.

Yes important point getting this game out the way and him playing at the san Siro again will be a big deal for him. He’ll be much stronger mentally for it and think we’ll see a much better version of his quality going forwards. Don’t underestimate how big of a game this was for him and he did alright.

Mind, it would be nice for him to have an easier game, where we are dominating the ball etc. We've had some stinkers and it's hardly ideal for someone settling.

This weekend at Sheffield might be a better bet.

He's shown some real glimpses of quality in his time here so far. Even against Liverpool, there was a moment where he wriggled out of a tight space and burst into the space down the wing in front of me, couldn't believe how rapid he looked. I've no doubt he'll come good for us, the understanding with Bruno will develop and once Willock comes in, maybe Tonali and Bruno can work as a double pivot.

He attempted 10 passes tonight, completing 7 of them.

Bruno had 36/39. Longstaff 38/45.

Now obviously he only played 72 minutes, but I think those stats fairly reflects my viewing of the game that he was basically completely uninvolved beyond defensive covering.

There's obviously going to be language issues, adaption to the team and his teammates, and accepting we've had a tough start in terms of settling in. But I'm worried that we've bought him with no idea how to use him in this system that Howe will not change from. 

It's like the 2023 version of buying Hugo Viana to play in a 4-4-2. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Does Howe have a track record here of getting square pegs for round holes? Does Ashworth?

they haven’t just gone and picked up any old player. Some of you might be confusing us with Chelsea. 

As evidenced by his first few months here, it probably just takes time for his ideas to come to fruition in how we play. One thing I do not doubt is that the staff has pretty clear ideas for the players they bring in.  If they don’t work out, ah well, there you go. But there have been a few myopic and repetitive takes on here regarding this since January of 2022.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

I want him centrally. Not sure what the tactics are or why he ends up so wide all the time. I would like to see him centrally with Bruno and a player in between our pivot and striker. With both Bruno and Tonali  allowed to roam forward at times. Right now it’s Tonali and Longstaff playing too far out to the sides with Bruno isolated centrally and with next to no options forward between midfield and attack. Get Hall in to offer width and some quality on the ball. At times it feels like we are playing with one central midfielder. Tonali should do better but I can’t judge him too hard. I feel that our setup and tactics are more wrong now than the lack of quality available. 

Both Bruno and Tonali are capable of progressive passing but the there’s no link up centrally between midfield and our attack. Need to make more use of this. 

Edited by Ikon

11 hours ago, STM said:

Mind, it would be nice for him to have an easier game, where we are dominating the ball etc. We've had some stinkers and it's hardly ideal for someone settling.

This weekend at Sheffield might be a better bet.

Agree with this. We've had a horrific run of fixtures, and he was injured and missed the match against Brentford. No easy games in the Premier League etc. etc. but he'll settle in with a run in the side against teams we have more of the ball against.

8 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

He attempted 10 passes tonight, completing 7 of them.

Bruno had 36/39. Longstaff 38/45.

Now obviously he only played 72 minutes, but I think those stats fairly reflects my viewing of the game that he was basically completely uninvolved beyond defensive covering.

There's obviously going to be language issues, adaption to the team and his teammates, and accepting we've had a tough start in terms of settling in. But I'm worried that we've bought him with no idea how to use him in this system that Howe will not change from. 

It's like the 2023 version of buying Hugo Viana to play in a 4-4-2. 

Aye. Just so ineffective on the ball. Barely gets on it. 

Howe must swap Tonali and Bruno positions. Tonali in the center ahead of the defense and Buno on the right (or left). 

Tonali isn't a top and you have overpaid, but he is a good player, but you must use him in the correct position.