Sandro Tonali: charged by FA after alleged betting breaches / unlikely to serve additional ban (Hope)

The Prophet

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He will be mint. 

Would be a blessing in disguise if Longstaff isn't fit and we have to put him straight in. Shame the fixtures are so hard mind. 

not sure about that. 

Really excited to watch him play and develop over here, but confess to be a little anxious that the generally held belief is that we've overpaid.

It's been an odd window - if someone had offered me Tonali, Barnes and Livramento, I'd have thought it was a good window, but £125m makes me wonder if there was better value out there.  That said, we've barely put a foot wrong on signings...

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

Really excited to watch him play and develop over here, but confess to be a little anxious that the generally held belief is that we've overpaid.

It's been an odd window - if someone had offered me Tonali, Barnes and Livramento, I'd have thought it was a good window, but £125m makes me wonder if there was better value out there.  That said, we've barely put a foot wrong on signings...

Must admit, the only one of the three that I knew anything about was Barnes. However, I do have faith that our signings are well researched over a period of time, and that the manager is in full agreement. The opposite end of the spectrum is a club forking out for a player who happens to be hitting the headlines at the time, and the manager having little to no say. (ie the Chelsea / Potter model)

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Must admit, the only one of the three that I knew anything about was Barnes. However, I do have faith that our signings are well researched over a period of time, and that the manager is in full agreement. The opposite end of the spectrum is a club forking out for a player who happens to be hitting the headlines at the time, and the manager having little to no say. (ie the Chelsea / Potter model)

Imagine Howe in these meetings with Ashworth and Nickson etc man. He'll be loving life.

He's went from having to overspend on fairly average players just to try and attract them to little old Bournemouth, to having the likes of Tonali, Isak and Botman offered to him. 

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

They are all safe bets in one way or another, to the extent a player purchase in football can be. Same as all our signings since the takeover.

We have players now that can from the core of the team to set the standard off and on the pitch and be here for a long time. Hopefully we're in a position soon to move fringe players on for decent fees that allows for more wriggle room within the constraints of FFP so we can see more exciting high risk, high reward type of signings.

Horncastle on the Totally Football podcast seemed pretty downbeat on this signing, didn't think he would be a big hit and that most Italians like the idea of the Premier League until they get here, and then seek a loan back to Italy, and that's how he see's this going. Or something along those lines, wasn't overly concentrating on it.

Seemed quite bitter, Horncastle is usually better than that.

37 minutes ago, vicente_14 said:

Horncastle on the Totally Football podcast seemed pretty downbeat on this signing, didn't think he would be a big hit and that most Italians like the idea of the Premier League until they get here, and then seek a loan back to Italy, and that's how he see's this going. Or something along those lines, wasn't overly concentrating on it.

Seemed quite bitter, Horncastle is usually better than that.

He's just massively pro Italian football, wouldn't look too much into. 

Always the risk with Italians however. I'm just hoping since he's young he'll fully embrace the league and style of football

1 hour ago, vicente_14 said:

Seemed quite bitter, Horncastle is usually better than that.I

With Tonali, what I have a concern about is what you could broadly call the social side of it, not the football. He seems quite a shy lad, still young, and having to get used to a different way of life, culture and climate and without having any command of the language, it seems. Unfortunately, he's the only Italian in the squad. However, if he can get through that, then there's some parallels between the football craziness of Milan and Newcastle which may be appealing to him.

It's a reasonable point that Italians in the Premiership don't have a good track record, but I think the problem is usually the pace and physicality of our football. I don't think Tonali will have a difficulty there. In fact, he might thrive.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

With Tonali, what I have a concern about is what you could broadly call the social side of it, not the football. He seems quite a shy lad, still young, and having to get used to a different way of life, culture and climate and without having any command of the language, it seems. Unfortunately, he's the only Italian in the squad. However, if he can get through that, then there's some parallels between the football craziness of Milan and Newcastle which may be appealing to him.

It's a reasonable point that Italians in the Premiership don't have a good track record, but I think the problem is usually the pace and physicality of our football. I don't think Tonali will have a difficulty there. In fact, he might thrive.

This is why Chiesa is a must as it's not just for the bromance potential, Chiesa is also super fluent in English meaning that he can support Tonali

5 hours ago, Hughesy said:

I personally don't think we've overpaid for Tonali, considering how crazy the market is nowadays.

Milan captain at 23 years old, Italy U21 captain and a player who will improve with age. It's hard to argue with that résumé.

Only concern is the "Italians not settling" thing but every person is different.

I guess we'll see.

Edited by Mountain

He’ll need time to settle in, he may need to start games on the bench like Bruno.

Perhaps more so, he’s far quieter than Bruno. He was out and about in town the other day and is viewing houses to rent. We really need his girlfriend to be happy, the club should be all over their happiness.

6 hours ago, Hughesy said:

We overpaid for Isak aswell. Joke of a club.

7 hours ago, Hughesy said:

Nobody has a clue if we’ve overpaid, don’t worry about it.