Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

7 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Load of shite, for a period of time until his sending off against Arsenal, his displays were better than any footballer (bar Tony Green) I have ever seen in a black and white shirt and I've been going since the 70s Supermac era. 

He was an amazing player with a first touch that hasn't been bettered in all my time watching, BUT Robert's end product was miles better.

As a fan watching purely for pleasure, I'd choose Ginola. If I was picking a side to win a game, it would be Robert.

Edited by UncleBingo

9 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

He was an amazing player with a first touch that hasn't been bettered in all my time watching, BUT Robert's end product was miles better.

As a fan watching purely for pleasure, I'd choose Ginola. If I was picking a side to win a game, it would be Robert.

For that period I quoted I disagree. Win percentage was higher in that time also. After the Arsenal game different argument though. Each to their own, all about opinions. 

7 hours ago, pormag said:

Ginola better than Robert?

Definitely. 

(Loved Robert too, mind. Though not as much as Solano—favourite ever player; though still would have to say that for sheer raw ‘fucking hell’  expertise and joy to watch, Ginola had the higher bar). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Really? 

Was a crazy take. There is no chance anyone who watched him at that time would think he wasn’t very good. He was unbelievable.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Personally think it will be Friday. European transfer window opens on the Saturday, right?

I’m too impatient for that personally. 

I will be kicking off

2 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

I think one of the things that prevents him from being viewed as an all time great (outside of Tyneside at least) is that he was so inelegant. He did things of utter wonder and implausibility but still managed to look like a shambling scruff when he did. 

Liverpool’s (and English football’s) European football ban is what stopped it.  He wins European Cups with them if they’re in it. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I never felt that with Robert, as great as he was, I never thought we had the best winger in the league like I did with Ginola.

Christmas 2001, we had just won in London for the first time in ages to go top of the league. I remember then thinking we had the best wingers in the league. Genuinely arguing with my man u supporting friend that I would take Robert and Solano over Giggs and Beckham. Pretty much the last time I felt as excited about the future of Newcastle as I do now. 

8 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Ginola's skill was outrageous. I'm sure I remember him taking corners with both feet and I've definitely seen him on highlight reels scoring free kicks with both feet in his career. To be the best professional footballer at your club at things like that with your wrong foot is just obscene.

I had a season ticket back then and he was just a joy to watch, as others have said that first half-season he tormented everyone. I've never seen anyone do that before or since, just utterly terrorise the opposition week in and week out. I loved HBA and Robert, but Ginola will always be my favourite left winger. I don't know how he'd play in the modern era because he was famously a smoker and never tracked back, but by god was he glorious to watch in full flight.

He was surprisingly strong as well for a player with such silky skills. Didn't get knocked off the ball easily when he was in full flow. A trait I liked in Ben Arfa as well.

5 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Reckon it’s done before end of June for it to be on this years ffp or wait till July?

Most likely July 1, but nothing to stop them announcing it before then.  I think the fact he is playing at the Euro's is the most likely reason it is taking a bit of time to get it all done and announced. 

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All four months of it.  I was at Highbury that night in the LC - he was kicked from pillar to post.  Never the same player ever again in B&W.

My memories of Ginola must be more selective.  Of course I remember him turning Cox inside out vs the Smoggies. There aren’t many ‘Ginola’ games that stand out though as match-winning performances.  Both feet were like wands mind. 

His performance against Cox basically finished Cox, still haven’t seen anything like that.

Others are better stats wise but you need the context and at that moment in time we needed Ginola massively 

34 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Italy are second in U21 qualifying group. They play bottom placed Norway tomorrow. Three day gap then to QFs. This might take a while… .

We can announce it while bed on international duty, we just won't get any media for a while.