Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Is that just the player’s canteen at the training ground or do you think the other staff can use it (receptionist and the like)?

Be a right cunt if the staff were forced to eat in the cupboard.[emoji38]

Probably eat at different times. 

The bit where he met Trippier was about the only part of the video where he actually broke into a genuine smile. Weirdly great to see - that recognition of another serious international player in amongst stoney faced professionalism.

I'm really hopeful he can be the player for us we want to him to be. Definitely got the talent. I think the biggest risk is going to be integration into the area and the language barrier. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but for Italian players the culture shock is often pronounced particularly in terms of language. With Spanish, Portuguese, French speakers there is nearly always a group of people there speaking your language to group together with. For South American players heading home isn't usually an option financially so they have to commit to the European career. For an Italian player the temptation to simply go back to Serie A is always going to be there if he doesn't settle.

Good that his partner seems to speak good English and hopefully the club really make an effort with translators and lessons etc. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

The bit where he met Trippier was about the only part of the video where he actually broke into a genuine smile. Weirdly great to see - that recognition of another serious international player in amongst stoney faced professionalism.

I'm really hopeful he can be the player for us we want to him to be. Definitely got the talent. I think the biggest risk is going to be integration into the area and the language barrier. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but for Italian players the culture shock is often pronounced particularly in terms of language. With Spanish, Portuguese, French speakers there is nearly always a group of people there speaking your language to group together with. For South American players heading home isn't usually an option financially so they have to commit to the European career. For an Italian player the temptation to simply go back to Serie A is always going to be there if he doesn't settle.

Good that his partner seems to speak good English and hopefully the club really make an effort with translators and lessons etc. 

Tonali seems an ultra serious (if not shy) guy off pitch and seeing Trippier likely was a wow moment for him. I bet he’ll be thinking similar when he’s linking up with Isak and Bruno. 

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

which languages just schar speak (and not the obvious one of "love").

8 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

A bit suprised he doesn’t speak English. I thought everyone learned that at school these days.

It is mandatory, but isn’t taught very well apparently. So, lots of Italians don’t speak it that well. 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I learned French at school, however…

In Norway we learn English minimum 10 years at school. French/German maximum 3. So almost every young Norwegian speak decent English.

4 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

In Norway we learn English minimum 10 years at school. French/German maximum 3. So almost every young Norwegian speak decent English.

When I was at school we did French from year 7 to 11, but you could drop it after that. So most people only do about 5 years. And you aren’t being taught to speak French really, you’re being taught to pass your exams. You could learn much better French in a few months from Duolingo. 

Hopefully the teaching is better now. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just a thought but if Trippier can't be replaced like-for-like in a year or two, which I suspect, would Tonali be a first step towards us principally playing a box midfield?

Assuming age take Trippier, Schar, and Burn out, the future lineup is. 

Pope

RCB Botman LCB

Bruno (right 6) - Tonali (left 6)

Gordon (right 8) - Joelinton/Willock (left 8)

RW Isak Barnes

Due to TAA, we can't say Tripper is a "one-off", but anyone we sign is unlikely to be the next no. 1 crosser in the league. This means the lopsided 3-4-3 we play in possession has its days numbered. Even now, we can't play it if Trippier is injured or rested.

With Trippier on the field, Tonali offers Bruno cover and an upgrade on Longstaff.

5 hours ago, Stottie said:

Just a thought but if Trippier can't be replaced like-for-like in a year or two, which I suspect, would Tonali be a first step towards us principally playing a box midfield?

Pope

RCB Botman LCB

RW Isak Barnes

Due to TAA, we can't say Tripper is a "one-off", but anyone we sign is unlikely to be the next no. 1 crosser in the league. This means the lopsided 3-4-3 we play in possession has its days numbered. Even now, we can't play it if Trippier is injured or rested.

With Trippier on the field, Tonali offers Bruno cover and an upgrade on Longstaff.

Not a bad shout. Mate. 

22 hours ago, STM said:

Be a right cunt if the staff were forced to eat in the cupboard.[emoji38]

Probably eat at different times. 

The staff aren’t animals, most places of work allow all staff to use the same eating areas.

14 hours ago, Stottie said:

Pope

RCB Botman LCB

RW Isak Barnes

Playing a box midfield will require either A) wing backs B) inverted full back like TAA. 

That lineup means Barnes and the RW are wing backs?