NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Can't say I've noticed him losing a yard and a half pace, but even if he has, is that necessarily down to injury? Might it not just be he's in his 30's now?

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Is that purely down to his ACL or is that age as well? As he was 24 when he did his ACL for the second time and he is 31 now, it is surely to be expected that most players will lose a yard of pace when they are in their 30’s compared to early 20’s.

Most players have to adapt their game as they get older even if they haven’t sustained an injury.

As for why Juventus would sell him for £35 million; there is no saying they would but it would be a similar fee that they paid for him  last summer and is a saleable asset.

I don’t know a great deal about current Italian football but if the club feel he is worth the risk then I’m fully supportive of it.

I can’t argue against age as you both rightly point out will be a part of it. I just feel from seeing Shearer pre and post injury and Wilson there is a similarity in that sharpness that is lost after a big injury.

Not sure if available on YT but iirc Wilson scored a hat trick on his EPL debut at West Ham (3-4). His pace and power and sharpness was a real standout. Now he’s wiser a bit like Shearer had to become.

7 hours ago, Lish007 said:

Would bloody love Chiesa here. Anyone would take a year to get back up to speed after an ACL. Worst injury you can have in football in my book. 

My girlfriend's Italian and she might actually be finally interested in watching Newcastle play if we have two Italian players! She loves Chiesa too. I just remember him when he played for Italy in the Euros and his pressing was relentless. If he can get that back, he'd be world-class. 

It’s all a bit uncertain, but for context, not everyone takes a year. Pat Nevin—who was  incredibly fit and dedicated to stay that way when injured— for example, took two months. 

7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It’s all a bit uncertain, but for context, not everyone takes a year. Pat Nevin—who was  incredibly fit and dedicated to stay that way when injured— for example, took two months. 

That can't be right man. You can't recover from an ACL tear in 2 months, especially not back in the 80's or early 90s when that injury was even more serious than it is today. An MCL injury maybe.

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

That can't be right man. You can't recover from an ACL tear in 2 months, especially not back in the 80's or early 90s when that injury was even more serious than it is today. An MCL injury maybe.

Just going off his statement in his autobiography. I know it isn’t standard/usual, but point is there is variation in recovery time. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Who do we think could be in for Chiesa? 

Us, City and Villa maybe?

He’s supposedly already turned villa down, that’s according to the Italian press so take it with a pinch of salt.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Liverpool seem pretty well stocked in that area with Salah and now Szoboszlai. They need to strengthen other areas too

And surely Chelsea dont need another wide forward?!

26 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I can’t argue against age as you both rightly point out will be a part of it. I just feel from seeing Shearer pre and post injury and Wilson there is a similarity in that sharpness that is lost after a big injury.

Not sure if available on YT but iirc Wilson scored a hat trick on his EPL debut at West Ham (3-4). His pace and power and sharpness was a real standout. Now he’s wiser a bit like Shearer had to become.

I'd like to see that hat trick to verify myself, but just another thought about that...when he was playing under Bruce he was probably getting a lot more space to run into so he could show his pace. Under Howe we are generally trying to break teams down who are sitting deeper so not so much opportunity to get a clear run one on one. Just wonder if that might be why he appears slower?

2 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

ACLs are bad news:

UPittMedCenter

No way anyone spends €60m for him. Being able to play across the front three is certainly nice though.  

Those numbers are across the general population. Everything is different for a professional athlete - pre-surgery treatment, the surgery itself (performed by a world class surgeon), the recovery process, the mental aspect. 

It's a bad injury for sure, but they are far from the death knell they used to be. Every injury is different too - if it's "just" the ACL it's pretty straightforward whereas sometimes there are also problems with other ligaments that make recovery more complicated (I can't find a mention of anything but ACL for Chiesa but I'm also not sure these injuries are covered in as much detail as you'd find in the NFL).

As I've mentioned before there has been a ton of research on ACL injuries for NFL players. There are a lot of examples of players who do not return to prior performance until the second year post-injury. The first year often shows the impact of the injury and has a higher rate of compensatory injuries (like hamstrings, etc.). It is not risk free, but If we can get a player with the ceiling Chiesa has at a discount it is a no-brainer.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

Not just that though. What do Juventus know if they are willing to part for £35m?

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his pace to me

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Just going off his statement in his autobiography. I know it isn’t standard/usual, but point is there is variation in recovery time. 

Did he not mean two months to get back to full sharpness after the actual recovery (however long that was)? 

As has been mentioned it would be physically impossible to recover from an ACL in two months.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd like to see that hat trick to verify myself, but just another thought about that...when he was playing under Bruce he was probably getting a lot more space to run into so he could show his pace. Under Howe we are generally trying to break teams down who are sitting deeper so not so much opportunity to get a clear run one on one. Just wonder if that might be why he appears slower?

They don’t appear to be any different to the sort of goals he’s been scoring this season.