NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

They don’t appear to be any different to the sort of goals he’s been scoring this season.

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

They don’t appear to be any different to the sort of goals he’s been scoring this season.

Yeah those are fairly typical 2022-3 Callum Wilson goals. :lol:

15 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Those numbers are across the general population. Everything is different for a professional athlete - pre-surgery treatment, the surgery itself (performed by a world class surgeon), the recovery process, the mental aspect. 

It's a bad injury for sure, but they are far from the death knell they used to be. Every injury is different too - if it's "just" the ACL it's pretty straightforward whereas sometimes there are also problems with other ligaments that make recovery more complicated (I can't find a mention of anything but ACL for Chiesa but I'm also not sure these injuries are covered in as much detail as you'd find in the NFL).

As I've mentioned before there has been a ton of research on ACL injuries for NFL players. There are a lot of examples of players who do not return to prior performance until the second year post-injury. The first year often shows the impact of the injury and has a higher rate of compensatory injuries (like hamstrings, etc.). It is not risk free, but If we can get a player with the ceiling Chiesa has at a discount it is a no-brainer.

Following up with some info from a(n admittedly small) study on top NFL running backs (a brutal position full of cutting / twisting / turning):

• Excluding players who retired after their ACL injury, the vast majority of players were more efficient in yards per attempt, yards per touch, and fantasy points per game in the second year following ACL surgery.
  • Age does seem to matter. Younger backs in this sample (younger than 26) were more likely than veteran backs to have a bounce-back season in year two after ACL surgery, at least when you look at efficiency metrics and fantasy points per game. Unfortunately, late career ACL injuries have the potential to be career-threatening.

I'm not sure I even care if it's on the more expensive side (~£50m). He could be a transformative signing.

1 hour ago, BeloEmre said:

Which other clubs has he been linked with? A quick search brought back some fairly ropey chat about Man City and some kind of swap with Laporte, but can’t see much else?

Guest reefatoon
17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even on his highlight real you think "nah he's not scoring that" [emoji38]

I want him so bad.

[emoji38] Would be unbelievable.

21 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even on his highlight real you think "nah he's not scoring that" [emoji38]

I want him so bad.

I wish I hadn't seen that now. If he ends up at Liverpool...:suicide:

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

People worrying about the ACL, Shearer tore his in 1992 and it didn't stop him? Assuming medically and in terms of rehab things have surely only got better in the 30 years since?

I mean that's a terrible comparison considering Shearer lost a good deal of pace and had to completely reinvent his game. :lol:

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

I mean that's a terrible comparison considering Shearer lost a good deal of pace and had to completely reinvent his game. :lol:

That was not the 1992 ACL injury. He still had good pace in the Blackburn days after his ACL tear.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

In 1992? It wasn't really until the injury in 1997 he had to change?

Blackburn had him at his 'peak' and this injury came in 4 months after being there. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Not after his ‘92 injury, but his cruciate injury in ‘97 completely changed him as a player.  He was never world class again after that

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

No, that was later, in -97

Guest reefatoon

Chiesa is so strong and powerful when taking players on and he’s only 25 too. Would be a perfect fit for us. Please happen.

If Shearer was still THAT Shearer after 97, there's no way he would have stayed through the Dalglish / Ruud Gullit era, he would have gone / been snapped up at once. We probably wouldn't have finished 13th either to be fair. 

Chiesa is probably a better fit for the team in terms of needing a RW more than a RAM for 4-3-3 than Szobzolai. So all is forgiven if we can actually secure him - there is definitely method to the madness