NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I like Smith-Rowe, but the fee required to get him wouldn’t make sense for us imo.

Aye. They'll want £40M for him, we have bigger pressing matters. The link doesn't make sense.

Is there any suggestion of Howe moving away from a 4-3-3?

Willock and Big Jer being out is bad for it, as they're the attacking midfield side of the three, but when full fit and on form there's nothing wrong with our midfield. We get the ball into the box well and create a lot of chances.

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We need a creative midfielder, we can't keep going with the flat 3 we currenly have I don't think for too much longer

I agree and I see it as the natural evolution of our tactics but I’m not sure Howe does.

The other issue with doing that is we arguably have Bruno, Longstaff, Joelinton and Tonali batting it out for one position, unless Bruno can play the DM role without the support of team mates.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

We should be spending money buying players to improving the first team and not wasting it on squad players.

Yep. I think we'll go big on a right sided forward who will slot straight in, and a centre half who will have to bide his time. We should be signing players with a view to them being in the first choice XI, not as backup. Id stay clear of ESR though. 

17 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We need a creative midfielder, we can't keep going with the flat 3 we currenly have I don't think for too much longer

I don't think we do once the two Joes are back in. We have no problem with scoring goals atm.

3 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

I don't think we do once the two Joes are back in. We have no problem with scoring goals atm.

I just think we need to add some creativity rather than being able to out-run teams all of the time. The Joes are great physically but I wouldn't say either are hugely creative

A creative player would help Isak more too and we would be able to avoid first halves like against West Ham where we looked pretty rubbish and one dimensional

Edited by joeyt

I understand the desire for a creative midfielder rather than another Willock/Joelinton/Longstaff type to help break teams down or just give another option. But come January (assuming no more serious injuries) we'll be fully stocked for those 3 midfield positions. So unless one of them leaves and I wouldn't like any of them to do so then it really would be overkill to bring another first team CM into the club.

It could be a quiet January (unless we have serious injuries and/or need), looking ahead to the summer.

I think we will agree an extension for Schar, but Lascelles, Krafth, Manquillo, Karius, Ritchie, Dummett and Gillespie will all probably leave when their contracts expire. Ritchie will probably become a coach. I think Targett may be sold or loaned out, too.

That gives us:

Pope; New GK; Dubravka

Trippier; Livramento

New CB; Botman; Schar; Burn

New LB; Hall

Tonali; Bruno; Willock; Joelinton; Longstaff

New RM; Almiron; Murphy

Gordon; Barnes; Anderson

Isak; Wilson

The final spot will either be another CM or CF (depending on how Wilson/Isak go this season). EDIT: this could be minteh if he's ready 

That would give us a minimum of 9 homegrown players too, so no issue with that.

Edited by BlazeT44

We rely so much on Trippier for our creativity, I wonder if we'll see more teams do what Brighton did and left Mitoma forward completely nullifying our threat on the right.

I love all our midfielders but it would be nice to be able to look on the bench to have someone more creative on there rather than just another centre mid with similar attributes 

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We rely so much on Trippier for our creativity, I wonder if we'll see more teams do what Brighton did and left Mitoma forward completely nullifying our threat on the right.

I love all our midfielders but it would be nice to be able to look on the bench to have someone more creative on there rather than just another centre mid with similar attributes 

I agree lad. If things aren't going well instead of using Wilson and Isaak to change things up as our only option it would be nice to sit esr in behind one of the other to help unlock the deep block. Plus as a bonus he can play as a bruno alternative as in creative from deep. 

Over 50% of our XG came in 2 games this season so it isn’t an indicator that you would want to use on its own, in the same way it could be said that we have had a tough start so it was to be expected that we would struggle with XG in the more competitive games.

My issue with the midfield is that from a defensive point of view that we can be exploited in the hole we leave between defence and midfield, then from an attacking point Isak can become isolated as nobody is pushing up to link with him or run beyond. I think this is a role that Willock can play by the way and with a calmer head could have easily got half a dozen goals from midfield last season.

The other issue with the midfield is that again the club has failed to bring anyone in that can cover the role of Bruno when he inevitably misses games, so we are still going to have to invest there.

Sane’s bordering on too old even though I love him. Raphinha isn’t known for his defensive work is he? My ideal signing would be Saka (when uninjured) but I don’t think he’ll be available for some years to come. Id prefer that we signed a 23-24 year old who’s already proved themselves in a top league and who is very attacking minded but also an industrious player who will do hard running for the team too. My knowledge of who would be a good fit is limited as I only watch the other major European leagues a couple of games a week in total so it’s pretty sporadic 

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sane’s bordering on too old even though I love him. Raphinha isn’t known for his defensive work is he? My ideal signing would be Saka (when uninjured) but I don’t think he’ll be available for some years to come. Id prefer that we signed a 23-24 year old who’s already proved themselves in a top league and who is very attacking minded but also an industrious player who will do hard running for the team too. My knowledge of who would be a good fit is limited as I only watch the other major European leagues a couple of games a week in total so it’s pretty sporadic 

Raphinha has great work rate. Need it to play in that Bielsa Leeds team. 

Other PL clubs would stump up more cash though. 

18 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’ve not seen him play but Nico Williams name keeps cropping up and we do seem to go back to long term targets.

He’s kind of like Ousmanne Dembele - very two footed - can dribble - his link up and general decision making seems better than Dembele’s - add Howes coaching and he could be a gem 

We are tight FFP wise already, I won’t be surprised to see us cash in on one of our more highly valued players this summer to open our options up again. As Ashworth has said we have to trade.