NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I said that RW and CB should be our next priorities, and I guess it’s true to an extent. But I genuinely think that another CM might be even more important. Bruno is sooo damn important to us and we don’t really have anyone offering the same in that deep playmaking role. Similar to how we brought in Tino to bridge the gap in quality to Trippier’s quality. Even though a different kind of fullback. Because Bruno is the one who makes us tick. Without him we aren’t half the team. 

10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I said that RW and CB should be our next priorities, and I guess it’s true to an extent. But I genuinely think that another CM might be even more important. Bruno is sooo damn important to us and we don’t really have anyone offering the same in that deep playmaking role. Similar to how we brought in Tino to bridge the gap in quality to Trippier’s quality. Even though a different kind of fullback. Because Bruno is the one who makes us tick. Without him we aren’t half the team. 

I think that's the thinking behind Tonali though isn't it? I know he's not anywhere near there yet, but look at the progression of most of our signings six months after purchase when they're settled in to country and system. 

There’s just not any room in the midfield setup once all are fit unless we sold one of Willock, Joelinton, Anderson or Longstaff. I don’t see any reason we’d do that. This is the way we’ll be setup for some time. If we’re signing another midfielder it’s going to be one who’s firmly a 6 and is young and will get very little minutes. 

If I’m looking at the squad right now for strengthening in Jan it’s backup striker and Right Wing. Jamaal’s current form makes that need at CB completely unnecessary until the summer. 

4 hours ago, ryanegg said:

For me, I’d still say a LB is priority. Yes Burn has done very well lately and we have Hall to come in eventually, but we still have 1 or 2 players tracking back hard to cover Burn most games. Gordon for example is great tracking back, but I and I’m sure most others would want him at the other end of the pitch more. Hall won’t be ready for a while as much as I’d love him to be. 

Whatever happens, I’ve got full trust in Eddie and Dan Ashworth to get whoever we need in. Feels so weird saying that after years of horrible transfer policy by Ashley and to a certain extent Fat Fred.

Why on earth we would buy a left back in front of Hall now? Surely he will take over from Burn and Targett in 1-2 years time.

We need CB, or maybe soon 2. And a right winger.

We have lots of CM’s. But no one who can do the job Bruno does. I don’t see Tonali as a 6 but more like an 8. He might adapt to it in the PL in the future but as of now we really don’t have anyone to replace Bruno. 

Also, let’s not forget that we play with 3 midfielders and have tons of games. We will have injuries too. 

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Gazzaschicken said:

RW, ST and CB. Tbf tho we should integrate minteh into the team next season and that's RW sorted.

Spot on for me but thinking Minteh is in the Hall/Tino bucket of 1 more season of learning the trade. Someone to cover Wilson, Schar 2.0 and an elite RM or DCM would be the next bridge.

I think it’s very clear from the posts on here that the squad is incredibly solid and we’re all struggling to find urgent needs that probably aren’t really there. :lol:

I think philosophy going forward should really just be to buy whenever we can get a good player at a good price, rather than chasing targets in a particular position. We don’t have gaping holes that need to be filled asap.

4 hours ago, McDog said:

Another striker wouldn’t be the worst thing.

I'd bring Chris Wood back on loan in jan tbh if we can do it on the cheap.  I don't think we've got much money and he'd be useful so we can maintain shape and press but give Isak and wilson a bit more rest for say last 20 mins of games we are cruising in.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

I'd bring Chris Wood back on loan in jan tbh if we can do it on the cheap.  I don't think we've got much money and he'd be useful so we can maintain shape and press but give Isak and wilson a bit more rest for say last 20 mins of games we are cruising in.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

It doesn’t have to be Chris Wood but I wouldn’t mind a cheap-ish striker who can eat some minutes.

6 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

No

I can see Minteh ultimately replacing Miggy in the squad, maybe give him another loan year next season and then bring him back.

Summer 2025 Miggy will be 31 years old and going into the last year of his deal, seems a fair chance that'll be when he moves on.

If we sign anyone in January I'll be pleased, I don't actually think we will do. Other than perhaps pre contract stuff for players out of contract in the summer.

I reckon it took everything we had to get what we did this summer and probably more than expected as Hall was a stroke of good fortune being able to get him on loan. Don't think there's much (if anything) left in our FFP budget for January now. Just a guess though ofcourse.

18 hours ago, Ikon said:

You raise a good pint there but suppose it depends on how Tonali comes on, granted he’s a different type of player possibly. What I mean though is you could bring in someone who is very solidly defensively but can keep the ball moving well and then allow Willock/Joelinton/Tonali do their thing further forward in Bruno’s absence. I think it’s inevitable we upgrade midfield in some way again though. 

I agree in the right CB and RW though, I do thunk they’re probably our most important additions next. Some more pace at the back and a proper quality goal scoring winger who can open teams up at home. Bowen fits that mould but I don’t think he’d move north with his cockney Mrs. He’d also cost loads. Probably get a RW from the continent. 

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

If we sign anyone in January I'll be pleased, I don't actually think we will do. Other than perhaps pre contract stuff for players out of contract in the summer.

I reckon it took everything we had to get what we did this summer and probably more than expected as Hall was a stroke of good fortune being able to get him on loan. Don't think there's much (if anything) left in our FFP budget for January now. Just a guess though ofcourse.

As others have said I wouldn’t be surprised if we bring in a young striker of sorts. We may bring in a key target if they suddenly became available but I think it’ll probably just be one player. Injuries as ever could change things.

Would be a great signing imo. Tomori (justifiably) gets loads of plaudits, but this lad is very similar in terms of ability and playing style. Another fantastic Chelsea youth product that they’ve let go and replaced with worse. 

We need a third striker who (for example) we can bring on when we're 2 or 3 goals ahead with 20 minutes to go. Most clubs have a kid they can do that with, hopefully Minteh or Kuol becomes that for us in the next few years but we need another option sooner rather than later. Ideally it's Wilson's long term replacement. Evan Ferguson would be absolutely perfect.