NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, The Prophet said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

Aye, it actually makes a lot of sense. Pope isn’t getting younger and has popped his shoulder twice. 

if we see no good keepers coming up getting a top keeper now is absolutely the play. 

I think it's always been in our medium to long term thinking to sign a keeper who's better with the ball at his feet.

The goalkeeping department needs an overhaul and who knows how Pope will return from his injury.

It makes a lot of sense and I thought we might do it last summer.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

We are not paying 35 million anything for a goalkeeper 

Im pretty certain that we will. Even this summer. Because we think a very good deal is to be done here, for a very good keeper. If we can get Giorgi I think it will happen. I hope we don’t go for Ramsdale though. Then I’d rather skip a GK personally. 

Edited by Ikon

35 million for a goalkeeper who transforms the way we play out from the back is pretty likely, either this summer window or the one after. Knowing the football Howe wants us to play, he isn’t going to want a keeper who can’t be trusted with the football at his feet 

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Is it a higher priority than a RW? Or a striker assuming Wilson goes ? 

No, I don't think it is, but I honestly think it's not too far away from those in terms of priority. 

29 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

12 months ago we would’ve said the same about right back.

The club is clearly willing to do deals for players they see as representing good long term value even if they don’t address an immediate need.

A goalkeeper who can sweep and pass the ball well to start off play from the back is so important now - £35m for one who is still young is a very good investment and IMO could be the most important signing we make this summer.  If we get the Georgian fella, Tosin and Kelly, plus a new winger/forward in I will be delighted.  Dubravka, Karius, Dummet, Ritchie, Almiron to head out to make space in the 25

21 minutes ago, gbandit said:

35 million for a goalkeeper who transforms the way we play out from the back is pretty likely, either this summer window or the one after. Knowing the football Howe wants us to play, he isn’t going to want a keeper who can’t be trusted with the football at his feet 

Other areas are a priority though I.e striker

Ramsdale is decent if we cant get that Valencia goalie. Ramsdale and 2 defenders, 1 CB and 1 LB and i think our defence will improve.. Kelly as LB and Tosin CB.

Just now, Sweee said:

Ramsdale is decent if we cant get that Valencia goalie. Ramsdale and 2 defenders, 1 CB and 1 LB and i think our defence will improve.. Kelly as LB and Tosin CB.

I want better than decent. I want players with a strong mentality/authority and leadership, especially in goal as it gives a bit of calmness to the back four. To me Ramsdale seems weak mentally and makes quite a few simple mistakes here and there. 

Plus… I dislike Arteta and don’t want to give them money for their remains. 

48 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Man City and Liverpool paid big money for keepers that transformed their teams 

If we buy Ramsdale, it better be after Bruno's clause expires.

Last thing we should be doing is to give a team who need money to trigger a release clause for our best player a big pile of £35m. Just no.

I'd worry that Arsenal would anyway only sell us Ramsdale conditional on Bruno going the other way. It's just a deal that I'd want to stay away from for so many reasons.

Just now, Ikon said:

I want better than decent. I want players with a strong mentality/authority and leadership, especially in goal as it gives a bit of calmness to the back four. To me Ramsdale seems weak mentally and makes quite a few simple mistakes here and there. 

Plus… I dislike Arteta and don’t want to give them money for their remains. 

Thats true. I was thinking about the price, maybe Valencias goalie will be more expensive

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

No chance Pope would be happy to be  number two unless he’s permanently crocked 

It’s pretty likely we play with a league gk and a cup gk, especially if we qualify for Europe. Given the number of cup games, it should keep both keepers relatively happy and allow us to establish a playing style and definite number one for the business end of the season and beyond.

missing out on Europe, and I tend to agree with you a bit more.

We are a club that want to compete, not a shell outfit like under the fcb. We will spend what we are permitted to do within the rules, I see no reason we wouldn’t have a relatively big summer. We will invest in youth / potential, make smart signings and if the opportunity arises will go big for a long term target / game changer.

Fear not happy clappers in the East stand, and early leavers, you will have an improved team to (not properly) support next season.

18 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I see no reason we wouldn’t have a relatively big summer.

We likely have little to no money.

We've already kicked the FFP can down the road in previous windows by saying "we'll just amortise it over future seasons", well this summer is one of those "future seasons" and we've still got to find 1/4 or 1/5 of the transfer fees for each of Bruno, Isak, Gordon, Trippier, Barnes, Livramento, Hall, Burn, Botman etc because we haven't fully paid for them yet.

If you do kick the can down the road, as we've seemingly done, you can't then pretend the fees for everything after that initial year don't exist. Those commitments have not gone away and until some of these transfers drop off (which will be at least another couple of years) and we're not paying for them anymore, we're a bit fucked.

Yes we'll likely increase revenue a bit which will help, plus there's the CL money, but tbh the CL money is a one-off (so far) and won't be replicated next year so shouldn't form part of a multi-year transfer strategy. Hopefully we can shift some of the deadwood but let's be honest, we've not exactly had a queue form for any of them so far and I can't see that changing in the summer. Our only outgoing of any note for years has been ASM.

BBC Gossip column has said Kephren Thuram is available to Liverpool for £13m

And that Gabriel Veiga wants to come back to Europe this summer. 

Both could work in that CM, wouldn't break the bank either of them. 

I do think we will try and get Desire Doue once and for all this summer. 

48 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

BBC Gossip column has said Kephren Thuram is available to Liverpool for £13m

And that Gabriel Veiga wants to come back to Europe this summer. 

Both could work in that CM, wouldn't break the bank either of them. 

I do think we will try and get Desire Doue once and for all this summer. 

He's available to Liverpool at that price. Obviously more to us as he should actually be paying them for the privilege of blah fucking blah.......

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think some people are living on cuckoo land with their transfer expectations.

Unless there's a raft of commercial activity, a change in PSR rules for next season, a mega-sale, a clear-out that includes active first-teamers - we'll not have more than 2 decent money transfers.

I reckon there will be a bit of some of the above. Some commercial deals, and some first-teamers leaving but nothing crazy. If we sign a new first-team GK - IMO we sell Nick Pope to help fund it. A new CM would require a midfield sale. 

I actually entirely agree on the 2 players thing. Something like 100m. If I were to take a stab at how our transfer window went, it would be something like this:

Tosin IN free (ish)

Kelly IN free (ish)

Miggy OUT 14-19m

Wilson OUT 10-15m

Something like:

Neto/Williams/Olise IN 50m

Solanke/Sesko IN 50m

Then towards the end of the window, it would be a case of assessing what offers we get elsewhere. We might get a worthwhile offer for Targett or Krafth and the reality is that you just have to try and let them go. Anything we get back for them two, might allow us to do a Lewis Hall type deal (Loan with an obligation).

If the above happened, we've had a good window IMO.